Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdgirlygirl

Fridge: Thermadore 36" FD integrated or Subzero 36" FD built in?

SDgirlygirl
10 years ago

We are looking for a fridge for our kitchen remodel and we're looking at 36" built-in or integrated. There does not seem to be very many options out there and we're left with the two described above (Thermadore or Subzero). We prefer the look of French Door which further limits our options.

First, are there other fridge models we haven't considered that fit the criteria: (1) 36" (2) built-in/integrated and (3) french door w/ bottom freezer?

Second, of the two options I'm looking at, is there one clear winner? We are leaning towards a 36" wolf gas cooktop although we are also considering a 36" Thermadore. From my limited research, Thermadore seems "newer" and less established as a brand than the Subzero/Wolf.

Last, is it just me or are these "higher end" fridges limited in their interior organizational options? I am used to the Samsungs/LGs/Kenmore where the interior has split shelves (two shelves versus one long) that allows you to adjust the height of interior shelving. These "big box" fridge brands (e.g. Samsung, lg, kitchenaid) seem much more functional to me in their interior organization. Its a shame they don't offer the built-in or integrated look.

Thoughts? Many thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• Fori
    10 years ago

Thermador has been around since the 1950s if not longer so don't let age worry you.

Liebherr also has an integrated FD fridge. (Also Bosch and Gaggenau but they might be variations on the Thermador integrated.)

Personally, I prefer the function of non-integrated builtins like the SZ because the insides are less tall and I am not tall. But the fully integrated Thermador/Bosch/Gagg and Liebherr are so beautifully integrated they almost make up for dedicating so much fridge space to taller people. :)

(There are fewer of the Bosch integrateds now than a few years ago when I was looking--they might not have a paneled version anymore which is a shame since it was CHEAPER and looked just as good concealed in cabinetry. )

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

We have the SZ FD and love it. But then again, I am a SZ fan. Construction is great and customer service is top notch. We had one before we renovated as well. We looked at the Liebherr but the top shelf was too high for me. We also felt that the plastic parts of the interior felt flimsier than the SZ.

• Fori
    10 years ago

I was checking them out thoroughly a few years ago when we did our last kitchen and way back then Bosch had most of the size options as the Therm--even the columns--paneled or SS. The Thermadors had a slightly fancier interior. I settled on the Bosch and then noticed I couldn't reach enough of it. :P

Going to go reach around some fridge displays this weekend and see if I've grown.

I dislike the look of standard paneled built-in fridges, but the integrated ones look great paneled.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I dislike the look of standard paneled built-in fridges, but the integrated ones look great paneled.

I've never figured out the difference - pictures? (We have a 30" builtin thermador single door on order --- it will be paneled)

• SDgirlygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the great responses. It sounds like Bosch = Thermadore in everything but the name. If we purchased an integrated, we wont do the paneling so that doesn't matter for us. I'm also relatively tall so I'm not too concerned about the height but that is a great point to think about. I just love the sleek full stainless look of an integrated fridge. Seems silly to buy a fridge based on looks alone tho :)

For the subzero owners, do you find the door difficult to open? The floor model was not turned on but I thought the doors required some muscle to pull open. Maybe I'm a wimp but I can't imagine how much harder it will be once on! Maybe its a bonus diet trick but I'd like to be able to open my fridge without hitting the gym or pulling my back.

• SDgirlygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeesh the bosch reviews are not great on the bosch website. This is troubling bcs these reviews are also applicable for Thermadore.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

The doors on the SZ are not hard to open. We have 12" (I thnk) appliance pulls on the doors and they open fine.

• chris401
    10 years ago

We are making the same decision right now -- either sub zero or thermador for a 36" French Door. I'm leaning towards Thermador based on (i) price (cheaper to start, then factor in the free range hood and it beats the sub by a $3k or more); and (ii) some aesthetic aspects, like the integrated look, the LED column style lighting, and that it would match a touch better with a Thermador range (which includes a free dishwasher). Based on name along, and my support of American manufactured products, I wanted the sub, but it's really hard to justify the extra money, particularly when I already have a hard time justifying the extra spend over the price of a Samsung FD which worked just fine for me for 5 years.

But I would love to hear if anyone has any other thoughts. When is the Sub Zero 42 inch French Door coming out? I see it in the design guide, so I assume sometime this year.

• gabethan
    10 years ago

The freedom series of Thermador seem to get the best reviews of any Thermador product. They are made in the same factory as the Miele and Gagganeau refrigerators. I have always had the best luck with subzero, but given the prices of their new units, it just seems insanely priced. It's hard to justify the price of the Thermador, let alone the price tag I saw for subzero ($12k). I know a lot of people don't love consumer reports for high end appliances, but at least, I feel good that Thermador Freedom units have been highly rated. I have yet to bite the bullet on the refrigerator as I'm worried about customer service and longevity.

• gabethan
    10 years ago

chris401 - can you post the link for the 42" french door? I cannot find a photo. Thanks!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company