Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alku05

Bluestar No. 25

alku05
16 years ago

The last thread got full before Keitel could get an answer:

The last post read:

"Did those of you that ordered a different burner configuration pay extra? And by that I mean, moving around the burners that come with it as opposed to ordering different burners.

And while we're at it, what's the actual BTU output of the simmer burner. It's hard to use 130 degrees in a gas calculation. "

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestar No. 24

Comments (150)

• hest88
    16 years ago

Has anyone purchased the new rolling rack separately to retrofit into an older BS? I'm wondering if it's worth it.

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

The bluestar cooking video is really helpfull

• velodoug
    16 years ago

Just a quick update. Our offer for the little basement co-op unit was rejected. The extended family is meeting next weekend to decide what we do next. One possibility is to finally complete the work on the cottage in the back of the property where DW and I live. If we do that, it will mean a complete new kitchen so I may be back to talk about ranges. (The other option on the table is paying off two mortgages so the whole family is debt free.)

When I showed DW the BlueStar videos she said they brought back a lot of happy memories of the huge apartment on the Lower East Side where she grew up. They had a 6-burner Garland range in the kitchen. I don't think we're done with BlueStar ranges no matter how the real estate issue is settled.

• scubated
    16 years ago

keitel what do you mean about a deeper than 24 inch hood? What deepness do you suggest?

Thanks

• keitel
    16 years ago

I would suggest a 27" deep hood that is then able to completely cover the front burner. A range is 24" deep but the first 3" of a hood (at least my Ventahood) are lights and switches. If I could do it all again, I would absolutely get the deeper hood and put it about 32-33" over the range.

• skyboy
    16 years ago

After months of remodeling I finally had my 48in bluestar range installed. I noticed that food was taking longer to bake in the smaller oven. I finally got an oven thermometer and the smaller oven is reading 25deg less than what the oven reads when the light goes off. The larger oven reads 10degrees warmer. On my old wedgewood it was pretty easy to spin the knob to recalibrate. how does it work on the bluestar or is it best to get it serviced under warranty
    thanks

• mackswim
    16 years ago

Thank you for the cooking videos!! I watched them and did my very first stir fry on my new BlueStar. Oh my gosh, it was wonderful! I made shrimp, and then a veggie. Thought I made way too much but everyone wanted more. Can't wait to do some more. Thanks again!

• alku05
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Skyboy, if you're still under warranty, it's probably best to go through that. However, if you would like to do it yourself, email me through My Page and I'll send you the directions.

• alexamd
    16 years ago

alku05...I am having a similar problem as skyboy, can I email you for the directions too?

• alku05
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Of course! Use the link on My Page, and I'll send them out.

• soupgoddess
    16 years ago

Hi, Blue Star Owners. I'm about to place an order for a 36'' Rangetop, and the distributor (Tri State), retailer and my contractor are all confused as to why we need to order a trim package if the top is going against a non-combustible wall (tile). If you read through the installation instructions, it basically states that BS accepts no liability if you don't use their low-rise backguard, even if the wall is non-combustible. I was going to just order the top itself, no need for the island trim or anything else since my GC is going to install a custom backsplash.

Can anybody help me??? Not sure what to do, and of course need to order the stove today to get it here in time. Also - Tri States says that a custom burner configuration is going to cost me extra (I'm in Portland, OR). That doesn't seem right, either...

Help!!!!! and Thanks so much - I love this site!!!!!!!!

Renee

• alku05
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You need a backguard of some sort to close up the back of the appliance. Otherwise it'll just be hanging open back there. Besides, the back is fashioned so that the backguard slips in there, so if you left it off, there would be a hole there. We have the island trim against a marble tile backsplash, and it's really not that obtrusive.

• soupgoddess
    16 years ago

Thanks, alku05.

I think I may have misstated the problem a bit. The appliance dealer thinks that the island trim won't be sufficient, and that BS wants you to order the low-rise guard INSTEAD of just the island trim, even against a non-combustible wall. If you read through the installation manual, it basically states that they accept no liability if you don't use the low rise guard (not the island trim), or install a stainless "sleeve" eight inches BELOW countertop in back, all sides, and of course above the top as well. It seems like that should only apply to the range, not the rangetop, but when we called the distributor they said just to be on the safe side, we should get the guard, which takes up another 8'' on wall space! I have left three telephone messages for BS, still no response. That is making me a bit nervous as well. I have been waiting over a year to order this stove, and now that the time is here, it seems like I am running into obstacles/mediocre service from BS.

Any more thoughts??

Thanks, again!

• alku05
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Bluestar installation manual says that the island trim can be used against a wall as long as the wall is a non-combustable surface that extends down at least 6" below the countertop. (see p 6 of the manual linked below)

This is what we have done. To be honest, it's not much of an issue b/c the wall doesn't get hot. I'm sure it's a better safe than sorry situation, so be sure to do it! But don't lose any sleep over this kind of installation, it works just fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestar manual

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Go with the island trim. The drawback to the taller backguard is discoloration of the backguard if the back burners are on high for awhile. This can be removed once but after that it will be permanent. My BS dealer made a point of telling us about this issue and why we definitely wanted the island trim. My range is against a tile wall and I have island trim.

Good luck.

Teresa

Teresa

• alexrander
    16 years ago

For what it's worth it, the scorch marks on the range's backguard comes off as often as you like with a little barkeeper's friend (that's a powdered cleanser). It's not permanent.

• keitel
    16 years ago

Go with the island trim just so you can put bigger, wider pans on the back burners. I've had both island trim and the 5" riser. Any riser at all will limit your pan-size on the back. FWIW the tile backsplash behind the range never gets hot and has not been discoloured at all - no matter how much heat I've thrown at it.

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

Go to BlueStarcooking.com, at the top of the page you will see a burner and it says click here to see a live burner demo. Their is a chef showing simmer, wok, pan sear and more live

• soupgoddess
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone for the comments on back trim. That helps a lot!

As for the cooking videos guadalupe: I have seen them so many times my children tease me about it. To be honest, the power shown in the wok demonstration is a bit scary to me. I have a lot of high-heat experience and have cooked (albeit minimally) in restaurants, etc., but the idea of that much fire in my home kitchen with my home vent is a bit daunting. I'm guessing it will take some getting used to...

• wjd0504
    16 years ago

Hello,
    Hope someone can help me -
    We've decided to get the BS 48" RNB with 6 burners and the griddle.
    I think we've also settled on the Independent Pro Wall Hood with 1200 CFM internal blower. My question is this - do I need a 48" hood or a 54" one?
    Thanks very much in advance,
    Janet

• mccall
    16 years ago

You can get by with the 48" but the 54" would be better.

• susanandmarkw
    16 years ago

I reported the failure of my oven door to Bluestar, among other problems, months ago now and they still have yet to fix it. (Basically, Bluestar's Mike Trapp said they'll honor my original, factory warranty, only if I don't post about my problems. Well, I stopped posting and they still didn't fix anything.) Also, I was cleaning my stove yesterday and found spots on the burner grates that would not come clean. Looking closely, the enamel, or whatver it is, coating has come off in patches and left behind rusty, uncleanable and unsanitary surfaces. I have never done anything even near abuse to this stove and this is ridiculous! I have washed these grates once (and only once) in the dishwasher, as advised by Eurostoves, and otherwise cleaned them, once a week or so, with dish soap and the same, soft brush I use to clean my dishes. (ItÂs an OXO Good Grips soap in the handle brush, if you donÂt believe itÂs "safe" to use.)

As nice as some things are about this range, I wish I had never come to this forum and heard of this company and got the Wolf we'd originally planned. If Bluestar doesn't want to deal with me, fine. They can buy back this stove and I'll (happily) get something else.

-Susan W.

• Joe Blowe
    16 years ago

For our sake, I hope they do buy back your range.

• wekick
    16 years ago

At least with this forum the consumer has a voice and you can hold their feet to the fire a little when you receive a product that does not live up to the manufacturers own specs. It is more important to me to learn how the manufacturer handles service issues than what the problems are. ANY appliance may have issues for one reason or the other, but how do they treat the customer? It is also amazing to me that people put up with and even justify and make excuses for appliances that don't work.

• edlakin
    16 years ago

Basically, Bluestar's Mike Trapp said they'll honor my original, factory warranty, only if I don't post about my problems.

that's a very serious breach of trust, imo, both with regard to the poster in question, but also the entire bluestar owning community, including anyone who might be considering purchasing one.

i'm honestly astonished that someone at a manufacturer would ever give this kind of ultimatum. i'd be outraged and would've thrown it back in their face immediately. people are allowed to talk amongst themselves and compare notes on their purchases, which is exactly what posting about this stuff is. for a manufacturer to attempt to threaten to withhold service in exchange for a customer keeping quiet strikes me as tatamount to blackmail.

again, a VERY serious accusation. i'd be interested to see if someone from bluestar or the person mentioned would like to respond to this.

• garlicsoup
    16 years ago

Okay, so I have done this before, and after figuring it out, decided it was simple and I'd remember how to do it if I needed to every again. Now I've forgotten.
    Any hints on how to re-install the oven door ? (is a 30" RNB, but I don't think that matters). It's all about those little hinges and the little extra piece on the top that can be moved a little and the angle you put the whole thing back in at. But I keep getting it wrong, and don't want to chip the enamel.
    Anyone got a simple way to describe this and write it up ? Also, i seem to remember, before I took it off this time, taking it off wasn't as simple as I thought it should be.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    16 years ago

not easy to explain but here goes

1 kneel down and hold the door with handle towards you, with the door resting on the floor at a 45 degree angle.
    2 push the hinge down with your foot.
    3 while the hinge is down pull the little clip on top of the hinge back towards the door, this will lock the hinge in place .
    4 release the hinge slowly it will come back and stop at an angle.
    5 hold the door at 45 degree angle to the range.
    6 put the two hinges in the holes at he base of the oven cavity.
    7 push the bottom of the door in gently with your thigh.
    8 close the door, it will appear the the door is about 1" to high (this is ok)
    9 keep a little pressure on the bottom of the door and open it fully.

and that should be it........good luck

• shakleemom
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!
    I've been really enjoying all of your posts. I was ready to buy a dual fuel 60" wolf when I found this forum... and watched the BlueStar videos.

Now I'm considering the 60" RNB BlueStar. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the 24 inch griddle or the griddle/Char Broiler combo.

For those of you who have the Char Broiler... what do you make with it?
    Is it easy to clean?

Also... anyone bake bread? How do you like the BlueStar gas oven for bread baking?

This will be my first professional stove. Any thoughts you wish to share would be greatly appreciated!

Toni

• keitel
    15 years ago

Bread's awesome in the Bluestar. 2 loaves a week like clockwork with the convection oven - crusty outside, beautiful centre, and it's the same every single time.

• jeffreyem
    15 years ago

I am looking at a 48" range-top(6 burners and a griddle) and considering the Blue Star, Is a single simmer burner enough? and is the back the right place for it? according to an above post even the 15K burners have a lower BTU output than other Manufacturers. Any one look at the Capital precision series?

Jeff

• ellene613
    15 years ago

My Bluestar with convection consistently bakes better bread than my F&P electric oven. Crusty, flavorful, outstanding.

• straw_bale_ln
    15 years ago

ellene613, I know this is OT, but can you share your challah recipe? I remember you mentioning that the BlueStar produced superior challah.

• shakleemom
    15 years ago

Thank you Keitel & ellene613 for your feedback on bread baking!!
    Toni

• ellene613
    15 years ago

My challah recipe:

Ellene NewmanÂs Wheat Germ & Beer Challah

2 bottles beer (I've been using Sam Adams' Boston Lager)
    1 cup water
    1½ cups dark brown sugar
    3 Tablespoons Diamond Kosher salt or 1½ Tablespoons salt
    2 Tablespoon dry yeast
    ~5 lbs. or a tad less bread flour (high-gluten flour such as King Arthur for bread)
    1½ cups toasted wheat germ
    8 eggs, extra large
    ½ cup oil
    Optional: 1 egg yolk mixed with a little water
    Optional: poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or wheat germ

Heat beer, water, dark brown sugar, and salt to about 105°. Add yeast, salt, and dark brown sugar. Proof for ~15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add wheat germ and 4 cups of the flour, and let sit for at least 30 minutes and preferably for about 2 hours  this is known as a sponge and will make the challahs much lighter. Add eggs and oil. Mix in/work in the flour, reserving a few cups for coating the kneading board. Transfer to a flat surface and knead for about 12 minutes.
    Cover and let rise until double in a warm place.
    Punch down, knead briefly, let rise again.
    Punch down. (If you're Jewish you can now do the mitzvah of taking challah with a bracha.) Braid challahs and place on baking sheets or in loaf pans. I get best results in the Bluestar using baking stones rather than loaf pans. If desired, brush tops with egg yolk mixture and sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or wheat germ.
    Let rise for at least 45 minutes.
    Bake in a preheated oven at 350° with convection on until fully cooked and golden brown  about 25 minutes for medium loaves.
    Yield: About 8 medium loaves, 30 rolls, etc.

• soupgoddess
    15 years ago

Jeffreyem:

I ordered my BS 36" rangetop with the simmer burner on the left front, instead of left rear. There was no upcharge to do the special configuration at all. If I had been requesting two super-simmers, they would have charged me, but just moving them around was no problem and seemed like enough to me. The reason I moved them is that I simmer a lot - everything from spaghetti sauce to delicate lemon/butter sauces for chicken, etc. I just did not look forward to always reaching to the back. I can still calibrate the remaining burners to go down really low, but at least my lowest will be right in front of me.

I think this is a good plan for the 36 or 48" models, but you might not want to mess with the smaller 30", as you'll need at least two power burners in front.

Good Luck,

Renee

• smoothtalker
    15 years ago

I ordered my BS about 2 weeks ago. I can't wait to cook my steaks on all that heat. Saute mushrooms and onions. My mouth is watering and it's only breakfast.

• morton5
    15 years ago

I ordered my 36" BS before the June 1 price increase, and am now wondering if I made a mistake. The runner-up was the Monogram (and, for a while, induction). I'm thinking I got more power than I need and will regret not having true simmer on all burners, as well as self-clean. I used to be a pretty accomplished home cook (still am, I guess) before the daily grind of cooking for 5 skeptical kids wore me down. I'm hoping the BS will re-inspire me, and the kids are getting to be more adventurous eaters, but still, I'm having major angst about the power, the heat and the venting issues. Rants about professional stoves elsewhere on this board are not helping. Reassurances welcome. Doubt I can change my order now without major loss of $.

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

"I'm thinking I got more power than I need and will regret not having true simmer on all burners, as well as self-clean"

Reassurance as requested: As stated many times before, you do not need to operate the burners at FULL HIGH. (Do you drive your car with the accelerator peddle mashed to the floor at all times?) You, the operator, can modulate heat as needed. And, all BS burners do "true simmer", whatever that means (yes, they all will turn down quite low)...

Self-clean is important to a lot of people, but a lot of people seem to do without. Your call.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

yup. i've had my 30" RNB for about a month now and have probably only run the 22K's on full blast four or five times. i cranked it to boil water for pasta the first time, just to see how fast it would bring my large pasta water pot to a boil, but found that it was too fast for me to prep all the ingredients before the water was ready, so now i don't crank it for that.

i've stir-fried with my carbon steel wok sitting directly down on to the bowl twice, and used the highest setting for sauteeing mushrooms a couple times...that's it. the rest of the time i'm using it, it's really no different than a normal higher-output range.

and yes, the burners turn down plenty low enough to simmer or do delicate cooking on all four...and there's always the option of scooting the pan slightly off the flame towards the middle.

the HUGE difference, to me, is the way the fire spreads out to cover the bottom of the pan. i do most of my cooking in 8" or 10" skillets and the spread of the 'star' burners puts the heat so evenly on the whole bottom of the pan, rather than just the center of it. regardless of how high the flames are turned up.

good analogy above...you really don't mash the accelerator down the whole time you're driving, regardless of whether you've got a porsche or a ford tempo, but *when you need it*, having that extra power available to you is really handy.

• straw_bale_ln
    15 years ago

Just to add my two cents as well, I've had my 30" BS for a few weeks now and I haven't had any problems keeping the flames low. It's just me and DH (and a small baby), so I don't normally cook large quantities of food but I haven't had any trouble cooking single portions of cream of wheat for the baby or rice for the adults on the 15K burner. I had one of the 22K burners moved to the back so I end up using the 15K burner a lot. However, using the 22K burners to boil water and make stirfry has been a revelation. DH keeps asking for stirfry every other day now :) So far I have to say I just LOVE using my BS. it just makes cooking more fun because everything comes out the way it's supposed to.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

interesting. i had one of my 22's moved the back as well, so i've got a 15K and a 22K up front, and a 22K and simmer in back.

don't know why that's not the standard configuration--makes way more sense to me.

• alku05
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That was the old configuration up until last year (my rangetop has the burners that way). They changed the standard configuration to reduce the scortch marks on the backguard. It also gives better access for stirfrying on both 22K's at the same time.

Having said that, I much prefer having one of my 22K's in the back too.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

ah. makes sense. i do have some scorch marks already. but i don't really mind them.

• straw_bale_ln
    15 years ago

Yup, I managed to get scorch marks on the island trim the first time I boiled water on the back 22K burner. It came out easily with a little Cameo stainless cleaner on a sponge.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reassurances. Please tell me, though-- how tough is it to clean the oven? Also, can you line the drip tray with foil?

I'm still kind of worried that I got too much stove. We are a family of 7 so I went for the 36", 6-burner model. 6 burners makes sense with a large family, right? It will be such a change from the way I've been cooking for the last 10 years. I have a Jennair downdraft on LP, and the burners are so wimpy that I do almost all meals using giant cast iron pans in the convection oven.

• mccall
    15 years ago

Morton,
    you can line the drip pan with foil
    grates and bowls can go in the DW and the oven is not hard to clean, Keep up with spillovers etc. if they happen.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Okay, I think I'm back on board. Since I tend to revisit every decision I make in life, this remodel is making me a little psycho.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Morton - yes, line the drip tray with foil - it makes it very easy to clean

6 burners you will like - and you will see a HUGE difference stepping up from the Jenn=Air downdraft. We had a Jenn-Air downdraft and recently put in a 36" BS with 6 burners. You would be amazed at the difference in how you can cook. FWIW we only are a family of 3 - but still went for 6 burners. It might be a bit of overkill but we wanted the larger size oven. For your family size, you will not be disappointed with 6 burners

• smoothtalker
    15 years ago

I've also had the JennAir with downdraft for 16 years now. It has 2 burners and a grill. We have 7 kids and I've always seemed to make it work but for the new house I ordered 6 burners and the grill. I just am so excited. The BS and bathtub not shower are the two things I am really looking forward to in our new build. My kids are excited too since all I've talked about for the last year is a BS.

• parrym
    15 years ago

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 30" Bluestar. Like several of you mentioned here, I am planning to move a 22k burner to the back for boiling water, etc. The question I have been asking myself is should I upgrade the 15k to 22k or keep the 15k and move it to the front? The flame spread/diameter looks the same as the 22k so I still can't use small pans on either the 15k or 22k.
    Is there some benefit to having the 15k burner over the 22k, or should I upgrade the 15k?

thanks