Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vent hood height problem

Posted by Chrissycat28 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 17:00

I am remodeling my kitchen. I purchased a Whirlpool Gold vent hood (30") to go above my new Electrolux 30" Induction range. Now that my contractor has finished the cabinet work, the vent hood is too long to fit in the space and still be 24" or more over the cook top. The space I have to put a hood in is 40" across (cabinet to cabinet) and 46" tall (soffit to cook top). I have my heart set on a chimney type vent hood with glass because I wanted to have it be a focal point with glass tile behind it. The hood would work if my contractor would agree to remove the soffit above the stove but he is ready to finish up and leave this job. (He's been here 3 months so we are ready for it to be done too!)
The hood would also work if I could have the chimney cover cut down about 6 or 7 inches at a metal shop but that would void the warranty. I cannot find any other chimney type hoods that are short enough. I'm at a loss and was hoping someone has some advice for me... :)

ETA: I have decided that a 36" hood would be better after reading online that it should be bigger than the cook top. Whirlpool makes the same model in a 36" so I could exchange the one I bought for a wider one. That still doesn't help with the height problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vent hood height problem

The chimney cover isn't a working part that you need to worry about a warranty on. It's decorative only. Have the metal shop cut it down and don't give it a second thought. Be sure though that they will do it cleanly with a plasma cutter.

o

A distance of 30" from the range cooking surface to the vent hood intake
is usually the minimum mandated space given in almost all building codes.
Your contractor has not mentioned that fact to you?

o

After discussing it with my husband we have decided to take out the soffit above the stove, exchange the 30" in hood for the 36" one, and mount it at 30" above cook top and have the chimney extend to ceiling as I had originally intended. Thanks for your help guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here