Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txbluebonnet11

Help Me Choose A Subzero Unit - Need To Decide Tonight!

TXBluebonnet11
10 years ago

I have been looking for two bottom freezer units (right and left hinged as a pair) and have narrowed it down to the following:

736TCI: Two floor models are available, manufactured 7/12 and 3/13 respectively. This is for two 36" units. Price is $12,400 with delivery included.

700TCI: Two display models are available, manufactured 2/11 and 1/10 respectively. This is for two 27 inch units. Price is $9500, with delivery included. No factory warranty, but they will include a 5 year after market warranty.

Brand New Model IT30CI: Two new models, with ice makers and no water dispensers. This is for two 30" units. Price is $14,000 with delivery included. Full factory warranty.

My preference is the new model, but my husband is not liking the idea of spending this much on a refrigerator. I am wondering if the new model is enough better to justify the cost difference? Can anyone chime in? We have a large family, so can use the extra space in the larger units, but even the smallest one has more space than our current refrigerator. Please help me decide.

Comments (4)

• xedos
    10 years ago

no, on the 736 - it's too wide for your armoire design.

no, on the 700 as $4250 for a 3 year old fridge with no warranty is not a good value !

BTW - why do these not have a warranty? Is this not an authorized dealer ?

This leaves the 30CI. The price you quoted is actually less than retail , so with tax and delivery they are a good deal.

In terms of "deals" the first two are not. You're being quoted close to full retail on units that are 1-4 years old.

Let me spell out the economics your hubby can wrap his head around. "would you rather have this (pointing) USED, expensive, fridge, car , television, set of golf clubs, ect...

- or -

for only 12% more money , get this (pointing) BRAND NEW, fridge, car tv, ect.... along with a FULL WARRANTY ? "

$1600 bucks is short money on a six figure+ remodel or house.

• wilson853
    10 years ago

I realize this may be a little late, but thought I would throw in my two cents. I currently have a 20 year old Subzero 590 that has been flawless in its operation. It was 3K at the time, which was a lot of money, but other than one slight problem with the icemaker early on, it has never required service. I considered re-using it in my remodel, but in the end, our new configuration requires the use of separate units. That being said, I was not about to pay the going rate at our local authorized dealer. I started to search ebay and purchased a BI36 all frig and a 27" 700TFI all freezer, both panel ready. I did not want or need a 36" freezer and they are in different spaces in the kitchen. Both were 4K each including shipping and no tax. I checked the serial numbers with Subzero before I purchased each of them, as they were from different sellers, just to make sure I had full warranty. I had the luxury of time on my side, so I was able to take my time and wait until I found the units I was looking for at the price I was willing to pay. BTW, I also found my Capital rangetop the same way. Paid $2999 for a 48" culinarian with grill. Brand new in box.

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I've now found two of the 700TCI units for a combined price of $7000, delivered. Display models, from 2010. This is half the price of the new model 30 inch units. One comes with manufacturer's warranty and the other unit, I'm not sure. Does this change your mind, Xedos? It's hard to justify twice the price for an extra 6" of refrigerator space and a newer model.

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wilson, thanks for the info. Yes, some of these units I have found on eBay. The others from a local person who sells display models. It's good to hear that this worked out for you. I have heard mixed reviews on the 700 series. Hopefully if I purchase these they will last as long as your 500 series unit.