Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Miele DW Warranty - Yay or Nay

a1an
9 years ago

Awhile back, our 6-7 year old Miele DW went bad and I opted to replace rather than repair with another Miele. It was just not worth the cost...

Now, almost 5-6 months into it, I'm debating....whether to add the MieleCare to my new DW or not.

Comments (8)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

You might want to do it. Our refrigerator had a fan problem when it was barely a year old. It would have cost $100 just to get the repairman to come out and look at it. Plus $75 or more in parts.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I would.

If you decide to go with it, call them on Black Friday or Cyber Monday and ask whether they are offering any deals.

I got 10% off warranty for my washer and dryer on Cyber Monday. I'm buying a fridge warranty on CM this year.

• janesylvia
    9 years ago

I went to a Miele dealer last Friday, and was told Miele is having promotion now and all Miele dishwashers have 5 year warranty. Should 5-year be long enough?

• a1an
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane -

Any more info re: the 5 yr. A brief google doesn't seem to substatiate that

• janesylvia
    9 years ago

I don't have any detailed information. I went to a Miele dealer in the bay area last Friday, expressing my concern that Miele Dimension that I was interested in did not have 5 year warranty as the Diamond model, and repair was not easy for Miele appliances. The saleslady there told me Miele is having a promotion of 5 year warranty on all dishwashers. I did not see any sign there saying that and did not order anything that day. Maybe you could call a dealer confirming if it's true.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Contact Miele and they should be able to confirm - you can register your DW at the same time.

My original Miele was a lemon and the only appliance that I purchased a warranty - so got 100% of my $$ back at 4.5 years.
    I was not going to get another Miele - but after searching, I knew I had to get another one. I did purchase the warranty again - I had an issue with the softener and they replaced it for free but would have been within the warranty period. I also had them check the filter as the door wouldn't stay closed. The tech showed me how to make it stay but left a new one with me. Now, I just swap them out and send the other one through the DW - so easy!

I did not get any other warranties - Kind of wishing I had bought one for my Wolfie oven - but was too late by the time I decided. So far, everything else is holding its own.

In general, I have been against purchasing the warranties - but with the new electronics, I am re-thinking my position on warranties. I always figured I could "self insure" and be ahead of the game. So, I take the $$ I would spend on all of the warranties and put it into a virtual bank. Then, if I need a repair, I can figure out the value of my investment and subtract what I spent from my total.

So bottom line - decide your risk factor vs investment and make a decision. I think all appliances should come with a 10 year warranty. Some European appliances already have this. It seem ridiculous that appliances are a throw away commodity anymore.

Off topic but related - I just bought a new car. It came with a 3 year warranty but I plan to keep much longer. I decided to get the warranty that takes it to 7 years that covers all repairs for the same reasons.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

My Miele DW is now ten, nearly 11. No waranty and never a repair. Didn't take one out on the oven and it wouldn't have mattered. It's 8 now and we had a lightning storm that blew out the less expensive of the 2 boards. Repair was $800.

Did buy warranty on the washer/dryer. Those were $240 each. Within first year some contact loosened and the hot water wouldn't work. Non-warranty repair would have been close to full price of full warranty. So that paid off and there are still several years to go.

Plan to get one for the fridge.

Miele has excellent service in our area so I feel I'm covered with warranty. That may be tipping point for some.

But it's like insurance. You get it because you'll never know if you need it or not.

• fauguy
    9 years ago

I purchased a Miele Diamante Plus 4.5 years ago and purchased the 5 year a Miele warranty for $250.
    About 16 months after purchase they had to replace the small propeller motor in the bottom of the sump area.
    Then after that the front stainless door had to be replaced at the "clean touch" coating was coming off. Then the year later the racks had to be replaced as they were rusting from the bottom.
    So for $250, the warranty was worth it.
    I always get the extended warranties on appliances. Even on the $1900 Kitchen Aid fridge I got in 2006, the ice maker had to be replaced 3 times in 5 years.