Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karincs_gw

Allowing refrigerator space

karincs
9 years ago

I've searched for an answer here and spoke with appliance vendors to no avail. My question is: will allowing a 36" wide space abutting a wall give me enough width to fully open a French door, full depth refrigerator's doors past 90 degrees-- enough to remove the fruit & veg bins for cleaning?
I realize it may depend on the brand, but the only one I've seen that will let me remove bins at 90 degrees was a Liebherr and that is not an option.
Thanks for your advice!

Comments (5)

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

karincs, I'm no appliance major but I think not. Not only do you need extra space lateral to the fridge for the hinge to cross 90 degrees, but you need to consider the fridge handle too in first item hitting the fixed wall.

Each manufacturer publishes spec sheets for their models which show the hinge space needed. These important numbers are found in 'installation specs' and customer info sheets as pdfs. It's wise to read these and measure your own space. If you can jiggle your layout to allow a tall narrow closet prior to the wall, you may be in luck.

Here's a past GW discussion on exactly that. GL.

Here is a link that might be useful: fridge next to wall

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

I agree with SparklingWater 100%. Have this issue at beach cottage- there is no spacer between refrigerator and the wall. I need to pull the refrigerator completely out in order to pull out drawers and to clean under the bottom drawer. It is a royal pain!

Check your specs. If possible, take away from something else and allow for a spacer. In my case I could have had a 2" narrower stack of drawers to the left of the refrigerator in order to make room for a spacer between the refrigerator and the wall - or slightly wider to have a pull out "broom/utility closet" - wide enough to hang a broom, fox-tail and dust pan, etc.

Good luck!

• karincs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I knew I couldn't be alone here with this issue!
    SparklingWater, thank you for the link and reminding me of the fridge handle. I have been studying specs but there is a bit of a learning curve to actually understanding some of them!
    Beachpea3-- I do believe I can spare up to 12 inches for a broom closet or pantry pull-out. Great ideas!

Again, I appreciate your help. I hope to post our design layout soon on the kitchen forum-- we are in the early stages of an addition/remodel of our 150 year old home.
    karincs

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

Glad to help. I understand the learning curve comment on the fridge hinge. I had a lateral constraint too, but not a wall.

Posting to the KF is wise. Very talented people there with a great love for helping others. I look forward to seeing your early design and more posts.

beachpea3-yes, we live and learn with kitchens. I always wished for a small beach place; love the ocean and pastels and airiness are so relaxing. Good for you.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Not happening unless it's a bsh(Bosch or Thermador) or Miele, a articulating hinge, There is always a point in the swing where the apex of the radius will be prevented by the wall.