Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

This review of Electrolux induction must be a joke

bbstx
10 years ago

I'm considering buying the Electrolux induction range. Any opinions about the range are welcomed. Below is one review from the AJ Madison website. Surely it is a joke:

"F is the grade I would give this range - the looks are supreme but the performance stinks. Doesn't turn on, once it's on doesn't turn off. Cooked a ham roast, tasted metallic. The grilled cheese I made was charred. Then I pan-grilled my award winning scallops and they were too salty. Don't trust this range. It'll turn an executive chef into a amatuer. The turkey I baked came out well done and ruined my Thanksgiving, not to mention the mashed potatoes were lumpy. I'm considering a hotpoint or any other coil electric range. Thanks!"

Comments (27)

• coco4444
    10 years ago

Hmm. Can't say I've had any of those problems! ;)

I'll link to the thread I started initially about this range. After ~2.5 years I'm still loving it, and a neighbour also purchased somewhat based on seeing mine!

Here is a link that might be useful: original E'lux induction review thread

• venmarfan
    10 years ago

A few comments and observations after 1 year with this range, Regular Bake uses convection fan on Low speed for preheat-then it turns off, convection Bake uses Hi speed fan for preheat then switches to low, convection Roast and convection Broil use Hi speed fan for entire cooking time. IIRC Perfect Turkey also runs fan at Hi speed for cooking time-that must account for a 12 pound unstuffed turkey ready a little over 2 plus hours and yes-nicely browned skin and very juicy and moist white meat and no basting required, forget it while you just carry on with rest of meal prep, BUT DON`T use Power Boost and walk away. To give a complete review, twice after a long cooktop cooking session finished we have had E15 pop up on 2 burner controls with all 4 non-operational-flicked breaker off and on to reset, thinking heat related once I turned oven on low to engage main cooling fan-it runs anytime cooktop or oven is in use-hasn`t occured again, no service call needed. I did purchase Sears 3 year warranty but I see currently with new purchases in Canada at least, Electrolux gives a free 3 year warranty upon registering your appliance. That is a reassurring bonus.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Co-co, in your initial review in 2011, you mentioned a little concern about the lower oven and your hardwood floors. I, too, will have hardwood floors. How are your floors doing, especially under the range?

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

The trick about the lower oven is to not consider it to be an oven, but a warming drawer with delusions of grandeur.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

weed, you gave me my first laugh of the day! Thanks!

• coco4444
    10 years ago

I agree with weedmeister, and have usually used mine accordingly. However, I have on a few occasions (in great delusions of grandeur, lol) baked in mine, with no ill effect to my 3/4" hardwood. Once I baked an actual pie, a few other times I've heated up frozen baked goods at 350 for 45min or so and often do garlic bread at a bit higher temp but only ~10min. So I have used it hot and it's been okay.

Can I say I still love the element controls! I was just now boiling a sauce, and you could tell how responsive it was when reducing the heat. I almost wanted to put it on utube!

This post was edited by Co-Co on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 17:49

• williamsem
    10 years ago

O_o

The only thing in there that -might- be a legitimate comcern would be the turning on/off part at the start.

And even that's a stretch. Given the rest of the review, I would absolutely believe this person tries to turn elements on without a pan on top. In which case, no, they won't turn on. I can't even guess about the turning off part...

• kaseki
    10 years ago

I liked the automatic salting mechanism, even though it was mistuned.

kas

• Ed-C
    10 years ago

My experience may be outdated as model is no longer available. Have Kenmore Elite induction cooktop, which was made by Electrolux. Touch controls are squirrely, esp. with greasy or wet fingers, which happens often. Worse, touch control unit broke 3 times in ~6 years. These are expensive repairs with long waits for parts.

I love induction but for my specific model have had bad experience with controls. In process of replacing with different make induction cooktop. (Maybe Gaggenau ci491)

Advice I've gotten is that all makes are prone to reliability concerns. Given that, tying together oven & cooktop may mean a bigger bill if either component needs replacement. Warranties for all parts (not just induction elements) are worth considering.

P.S. Difficulty turning on/off sounds very familiar. However at its worst it never added unwanted seasoning.

• Ed-C
    10 years ago

My soon to be replaced Kenmore Elite model # is 790.4290.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What happens if you simply remove a pan from an induction hob without turning it off? The stove may not be off, but the hob isn't going to heat anything. Does it just set there in the ready-mode?

• jakvis
    10 years ago

Most induction burners will automatically shut off after a few minutes once the pan has been removed.

• Ed-C
    10 years ago

On my model the display will alternately flash the last setting with 'F' for about a minute for that burner. After that it will shut off that burner; if that was the only active burner, then the entire unit will shut itself off.

• Vivsim
    9 years ago

I have the Electrolux induction slide-in range. Love it!
    I haven't yet used the bottom oven because I'm concerned about what effect it might have on my new wood kitchen floor. The wood continues under the stove. I'd appreciate knowing anyone's experience with this issue?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Vivsim, I don't understand, why is it different from any other oven? I have a below-counter oven (and had one in my previous home as well) both with hardwood floors and never had a problem with heat from below.

• Vivsim
    9 years ago

Hi hockeyfan,
    Thanks for responding.
    The Electrolux is different because it has a regular-sized oven at the top, and a very small oven at the bottom. The small oven looks like a warming drawer but it's actually a real oven one can cook in. I'm concerned because it's very close to the floor (maybe an inch clearance) and am wondering what effect the heat from the small oven would have on the wood.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Viv, my under-counter oven(s) have been no more than toe-kick distance from the floor, and had no effect on the floors. Modern ovens are very well insulated (it would be a fire hazard if it weren't, regardless of the flooring type).

• Vivsim
    9 years ago

Thanks Hockeyfan,
    If I don't get any negative responses, I'll gather my courage and give it a try. Still a bit scary, though, as four inches is a much bigger clearance than one.

• attofarad
    9 years ago

I have mine over hardwood. Haven't used the lower oven much, other than to "burn in" with nothing in there, and later as a warming drawer. No problem so far.

You could put something on the floor, if you like, like a sheet
    of aluminum cut to size, perhaps with 1/8" cork underneath.

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

Is there something about this range that I'm failing to understand?

All new double-oven freestanding ranges have either the large oven or the small one near the floor. My only experience was with one that had the small oven above (i.e., right below the cooktop), and the large one almost at floor level, but burning the floor wasn't a problem.

• Vivsim
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for responding to my question.
    I still haven't gathered the nerve to give the lower oven a try, but I'm working on it.
    Okmoreh, the lower oven is only about an inch above the floor - hence my concern. I'm probably being too cautious, but I won't be happy if my new wood floor suffers. This is the first time I've had wood flooring in the kitchen. It looks gorgeous, but I'd be much more comfortable with tile.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

You could always slide something non flammable and relatively insulating under there. For example, MSC sells carbon fiber welding blankets that are less than a quarter of an inch thick that will minimize heat transfer and not be a hazard at any temperature the oven can induce. (I temporarily put down large sized ones in front of a rarely run fireplace to protect an oriental carpet from any errant sparks.) If the oven expects air to flow under there, then care has to be taken to not bunch up the material such as to block the air path.

The old asbestos cement sheets would have worked (with some deficiencies), and there could be ceramic fiber versions of that material available. Even the cement board used under tile installations could be considered for this purpose and easily obtained.

kas

• Jbrig
    9 years ago

LOL at kas's salting mechanism post back in November :-D

• andy47
    9 years ago

aj madison are just order takers-you should buy locally from a experienced retailer who knows there product

• HU-261155176
    9 months ago

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE THE PROBLEM - NOT THE HOB. I'VE GOT ALL ELECTROLUX PRODUCTS, NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM, AND WELL MADE.

• HU-637547050
    3 months ago

The Electrolux induction hob is rubbish. Touch it with your hand, an element comes on; move a pan about to shuffle the contents and the whole hob goes off; move a pan and the heating function changes; move a pan on the small element and another comes on, wipe a small amount of liquid and the hob goes off. Designed by someone who never cooks and with undeveloped technology.

• kaseki
    3 months ago

They were originally developed in Europe, and made available in the USA at least by 2007. While I can't write about the latest models, or even their recent build quality, I am unable to think of a design defect that would cause a different hob to turn on upon removal of a pan from an existing hob without some user or pan contact with the control group. Is your cooktop correctly grounded? With nothing else to guess at, perhaps there is a static electricity problem in your setup.

So, HU-....050, what model and year do you have?