Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dccurlygirl

Confused about metal pans in combo ovens

dccurlygirl
9 years ago

So many new appliance combinations have emerged in the last several years and I could use a tutorial. Let's say I have a gas range (6 burners, 1 oven) and want a second oven for overflow.

In this 2nd oven, I want to be able to:

1. use all the same pans that I would use in my range-based oven (baking pans, cookie sheets, pyrex dishes, etc)
2. warm things up quickly (melt butter, reheat mug of coffee, cook a frozen dinner, etc.)
3.install it in my kitchen island
4. broil, maybe

Does this kind of oven exist?

Comments (11)

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

Not sure I understand the question. If you are talking about combi ovens ( Steam plus dry heat ) you can use it like a regular electric convection oven, which means the same pans, as long as they are small enough to fit in the combi. The combi oven chamber is usually much smaller 1 to 2 cubic feet - you standard range oven is in the neighborhood of 5 cubic feet. The combi will warm things up much quicker because the chamber is smaller and it will preheat in 4 or 5 minutes, but it won't be as quick as a microwave. Using a special mode which is part regular heat, and part steam, it reheats pretty quickly, and does not dry out food, which is pretty handy. One or two combi's come with a broil element, most don't. A combi can be in an island, though you may have some plumbing issues, depending on the combi you choose. The drawback is that combi's are mostly offered by high end manufacturers - such as Gaggeneau, Wolf, etc, with prices to match. Also, there are special pans that come with a combi to allow you to steam things without having the water fill up the pan - steamed shrimp is pretty easy to make in a combi.

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the explanation on "combi's" (which is a new product to me), Barryv. I think this item isn't what I'm looking for.
    I have seen/heard about microwave/convection combinations and speed ovens, which seem to combine several functions, as well ... will either of these fill the needs of my "must -have" list?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

It probably would, except for using the same pans. You can't use metal pans when you're using the microwave function.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

With a microwave/convection oven, you can't use metal pans during microwaving, but you can during convection.

There arent that many that can be placed under the counter.

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I understand. As long as I am not using the microwave function, I can use metal pans for baking, broiling, etc. This is great news!

I guess my search begins for under-the-counter combination ovens.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^The main two you'll be considering are Miele and Bosch. Whatever you do I would get a 240 volt unit. The Bosch is a new product with not much feedback yet. The Miele has been out a while and has generally received positive feedback. Both ovens can microwave, convect, broil, and speedcook (microwave and convect/broil simultaneously). However, the Bosch is much more limited than the Miele when it comes to the latter. You can pick between 9 predefined programs, that's it. Miele has tons and tons of food buried in their menus if you get the MasterChef version. Miele is also known for being made to a higher quality standard. I believe Miele retails for over $3k, Bosch under $2k.

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hvtech42, what about the GE Advantium 240v? Doesn't it have the same features?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Read the manual. GE forbids mounting it undercounter

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 1:11

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So much for THAT salesman

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

LOL

• jkayepierce826
    9 years ago

Dccurlygirl--what did you end up getting and do you like it?