Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claga_gw

How to Clean Glass on the Inside of the Oven Door

claga
9 years ago

I have a GE Profile Gas Range and Oven with a self cleaning oven.
I cleaned the oven yesterday and the interior of the oven cleaned very well, except for the glass on the inside of the door; it was left with black spots.
Does anyone know how the clean the glass?
The manually says you can clean the "outside" glass with glass cleaner.
But there was no mention on how to clean the inside glass.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• pamela233
    9 years ago

I have great success with baking soda paste. Mix enough water with 3 or 4 tablespoons of baking soda to make a thick paste.
    Wipe that on the - room temperature - glass door. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes or so...longer if the stains are really baked on. Then just clean off with damp paper towels and buff dry.
    You may need to do this more than once...but it will work.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

You need to disassemble the door.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Either take the door apart to clean. You could take the door off and sometimes clean using a wooden dowel and cloth from the underside of the door. Many doors are fairly open on the underside. Personally I would rather take it apart and do it that way.

Just be careful of the spring tension on the hinges. They will bite your finger off.

Good luck!!!!

• Beth K
    9 years ago

I highly suggest before you attempt to take apart your oven to clean the inside of the glass that you review your owners manual. I had the same issue with my Whirlpool wall ovens and I thought how hard could it be to take apart and clean. Please note my ovens are over 20 years old. I was able to remove the door and get to the inner glass pane but I failed to realize that the inner and outer glass panes are sealed and once the seal is broken its near impossible for a lay person to put back together.

Well long story short I am now in the process of replacing my double ovens. According to my Appliance Guy some ovens cannot be opened to clean the inner glass panes. His resolution was for any future oven call in for service and let them replace the glass. If I had only known!!! But again the ovens were 20 years old and really needed to be replaced, but if I was thinking I would have waited until after Thanksgiving!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I just use Barkeepers Friend to get those off. Works on my toaster oven door too.

-Babka

• weissman
    9 years ago

I think there's some confusion in your post. Are you talking about the surface of the glass that faces into the oven or are you talking about cleaing between the glass panes in the door?

If you're talking about the surface that faces into the oven, you can try things that have already been suggested, BKF, fume free Easy Off,,baking soda, etc.

If you're talking about between the panes, it's a much bigger deal and IMO not worth the effort - just live with it.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

I interpret "inside" as between the panes. How it gets cruddy is beyond me. And usually a pain for the pane. Poking sticks, rags and cleaner can be successful. Nobody said it was easy.
    Inadvert luck for mine, I discovered that by removing 2 screws, the glass will come out easilly. After cleaning, slide it back in and replace 2 screws. Every 5 years would be enough of that nonsense.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I just did this. The cleaning cycle did a great job everywhere except the glass.

I used hot water and BKF to make a paste, scrubbed that with a non abrasive pad, but that didn't get everything. So I VERY CAREFULLY used a razor blade tool that I sometimes use on my induction cooktop. I had to put my reading glasses on and get really close and scrape off all the little bits that weren't coming up any other way. Mostly they were stuck-on greasy bits.

It's 100% clean now, but I took my time and was really careful with the blade.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I am talking about the glass facing the inside of the oven, not between the panes. Good luck.