Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cj47_gw

Quick--I need a new microwave, considerations?

cj47
11 years ago

The old Sharp microwave went "poof" yesterday. I am not sad, but my husband and kids insist that it needs to be replaced immediately. LOL, so we're going to go shopping.

I am not a big microwave user. I have a cubby that we had built for a microwave when we remodeled, and it's sized so that we can just shove in a countertop model and be good to go. The hubs and kids warm things up, make popcorn, and I use it to quickly defrost things that I've neglected to plan ahead for. My thought would be to go out and get a 2 ft (to warm up an 8X12 pan of whatever) and not spend too much money on it, as long as it's black or stainless it should be fine, right?

Not so fast, says the hubs. What about those new fangled convection microwaves? They might brown stuff. Have you considered one of those? We need to buy one today, don't you know. Yikes. I don't move that fast. I did a quick look, and maybe I shouldn't dismiss this out of hand. What say you, Gardenweb? I have a lovely Electrolux double oven, and a much beloved 36" Miele Cooktop that are my preferred ways to cook.

OK, so to convect or not to convect? And either way, what brands have you guys liked/hated?

Thanks,

Cj

Comments (3)