Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace the water heater?

Posted by mytrees (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 15:03

Our water heater is 26 years old. It has never given us any trouble.

Recently, my mother-in-law had her water-heater develop a leak and create a big mess, so preventative maintenance is on my mind.

How long do these boiler's last? Do new ones last 20+ years?

It would not be a big deal to replace the thing.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace the water heater?

I assume this is electric or gas. 26 years is a long, long, time for a water heater to last. Usually they leak, or scale/sediment builds in the bottom of the tank, and they don't heat / recover well.

I would say it's time for a new one.

o

Alright!

if you have it from a long time ago of 26 years old so i think you have to buy a new one instead of repair the old one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sub Zero Dallas

o

Most reading on the topics says 10-15 years for most electric or gas water heaters that are of the tank type variety. Can they last longer, yes. Can they last less, for sure. But, if you are trying to be preventative I would say replace it now to try and head off any issues. No matter how good it was made there is only so much they can do to prevent things from going bad (wearing out) in these types of units.

o

Replace it! My Mom's poured thousands and thousands of gallons of water into her crawl space. She didn't discover it until her electric and water bills went up by gazillions. After that, I decided to replace my 16 year old water heater. The guy said the relief valve crumbled in his hand. Boy, was I glad I had made the decision to get a new one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here