Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range hood replacement

Posted by mytrees (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 14:56

First, I'm usually here for gardening. I feel a little odd posting here.

Second, I'm replacing appliances, so now I find myself here a lot. Comments here are great! Thanks!

I'm replacing a 40 year old O'Keefe and Merritt cooktop and hood. We are not redoing cabinets or counter, so the new cooktop and hood need to fit the existing spots.

This makes selecting the cooktop easy. There is only one cooktop available that fits.

The hood raises some operational questions. It seems to have a 250 CPM fan. After removing the filters, there are two fans (one on each side) and they spin-up and make a nice fan-noise. Doing a little flame test with a match, I couldn't see any sign of air being pulled in by the fans. Instead, air seemed to be blowing away.

Above the hood, there is a 3" x 10" rectangular metal flue.

Going outside and looking for a vent in the roof, it looks like the rectangular flue rises to the attic (very small space) and takes a diagonal course to connect with a vent rising from the oven (about 5 feet away).

I'm looking at Broan hoods to replace the existing hood and match the new cooktop. Does anyone know if I can connect a 300 CFM Broan hood to the existing rectangular vent?

We have never used the hood as a fan, probably because it didn't seem to pull any air. I might want to simply install a recirculating hood. I grill outside all year round. The cooktop is primarily used for boiling water and cooking stews.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range hood replacement

If that duct is actually 3.25 x 10 then that's a standard size for which you can buy a transition to 6" round. In the CFM range you're talking about that will be what's called for. Depending on your specific situation, it could be easy or you could have to get creative. Just don't be tempted to get creative with flexible duct.

o
RE: Range hood replacement

>Just don't be tempted to get creative with flexible duct.

OK and thanks!

The vent is 3.25 by 10. For the record, the hood is 36" x 21.25".

This post was edited by mytrees on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 17:06

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here