Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joebok

Range hood replacement

joebok
10 years ago

First, I'm usually here for gardening. I feel a little odd posting here.

Second, I'm replacing appliances, so now I find myself here a lot. Comments here are great! Thanks!

I'm replacing a 40 year old O'Keefe and Merritt cooktop and hood. We are not redoing cabinets or counter, so the new cooktop and hood need to fit the existing spots.

This makes selecting the cooktop easy. There is only one cooktop available that fits.

The hood raises some operational questions. It seems to have a 250 CPM fan. After removing the filters, there are two fans (one on each side) and they spin-up and make a nice fan-noise. Doing a little flame test with a match, I couldn't see any sign of air being pulled in by the fans. Instead, air seemed to be blowing away.

Above the hood, there is a 3" x 10" rectangular metal flue.

Going outside and looking for a vent in the roof, it looks like the rectangular flue rises to the attic (very small space) and takes a diagonal course to connect with a vent rising from the oven (about 5 feet away).

I'm looking at Broan hoods to replace the existing hood and match the new cooktop. Does anyone know if I can connect a 300 CFM Broan hood to the existing rectangular vent?

We have never used the hood as a fan, probably because it didn't seem to pull any air. I might want to simply install a recirculating hood. I grill outside all year round. The cooktop is primarily used for boiling water and cooking stews.

Thanks!

Comments (2)