Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njhg

range hood fo Lacanche

njhg
16 years ago

I still can't believe it - after more than a year in my garage my Cluny is in my 1/2 done kitchen.!!!!!!!.It's been so long that I've lost track of the latest thread. My plans have fallen through with my range hood.I was hoping that someone could offer advice re. something complimentary,yet at a lower price point. The Lacanche was my big splurge. I can't afford custom work, like havinging something fabricated then powdercoated. And I don't want to do stainless. Any ideas? Thanks, nora

Comments (18)

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

What color is the cluny?

• kelly_2000
    16 years ago

I went with a Modern Aire hood to match my Ivory Cormatin. Since they didn't have a local dealer, they sold to me direct from the company, at what seemed to be a lower price than I would have paid if I had been able to buy the same hood from a dealer.

They were able to match to the RAL colors with no upcharge. Vent a hood can also match to the RAL colors, but with a pretty significant upcharge.

Hope this helps....

{{gwi:1482392}}

• njhg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks so much for getting back to me. Plumochard, my range is french blue; I bought it a year ago at the beginning of a year long reno. Now there are so many new colors I find myself tryin to inore little twinges of regret that I did not wait until all my other finishes were decided. I feel guilty having such thoughts and I know that if I had waited, budget constraints would have most certainly eliminated any Lacanche at all. klb 2000, your hood is exactly what I wanted to bein with, but tried to reuse the existing copper one because the ones I looked at were too $$$$. I don't want to be rude, but would you be willingto tell me how much you paid? I don't want to get excited unless I know if it is in my ballpark. btw, I love your floor Is that a vintage breadbox to the left? I bought a jadite one on ebay just like it. When it came I unintentionally remarked that it was much bigger than I had anticipated! You can only imagine the withering looks that got from my 17 and 20 yr. old kids
    thanks to both, Nora

• kelly_2000
    16 years ago

Nora--I paid about $1300 or $1400 total, which included shipping and slight upcharges for the decorative pot rail in front. I guess that's not exactly cheap--but it was nearly $1000 cheaper than the quote I got for the similar model of VentaHood color matched to the RAL color--so it felt like a bargain! I will say, though, that a friend got quotes for the identical hood in California (where there ARE Modernaire dealers, so the company wouldn't sell direct to her)-- and the quotes were quite a bit more than I paid. This was all a couple years ago at this point--so who knows what they are charging now.... Also--my hood is only 30" wide (and 600CFM)--I'm sure all the hoods cost a bit more for "Cluny-width". Can't hurt to contact them through their website and see if they'll give you a quote.

If the ModernAire thing doesn't work out for you, I know there have been several posters who bought stainless steel Vent A Hoods and had them painted (at car paint shops or something)--maybe VeloDoug (black, I think), and a fellow with a great looking red Aga (UncleToad, I think, if his post is still around). Might be worth getting a quote, in any case.

The bread box isn't vintage--I bought it at Williams Sonoma! But it does have the vintage-y quality, and it IS huge! My kitchen in small enough that I'm happy to have a bit of extra space to be able to stash my sandwich/freezer bags in with the bagels and a loaf of bread!

And last thing--that French Blue is gorgeous! Don't even think of regretting your purchase--that is a great classic color. And sure there may be some new colors now....but be glad you probably bought before one of the annual price increases..... :)

• kelly_2000
    16 years ago

I found the post with UncleToad's red VentaHood....now that I re-read it, I'm thinking he had VentaHood match the color (as opposed to getting it painted himself).

Either way, it does like spiffy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Uncle Toad's Kitchen

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

Hey - I was going to suggest Modern Aire as well. We just received ours but had to settle for black. I really wanted it red (Wolf knob) but they couldn't match the color close enough.

The french blue has a RAL # to they should be able to match that with no problem. I think it is listed on the Lacanche stie somewhere.

I would definitely give them a call. Also, I agree w/klb - the were more reasonable than others I checked with too. Rangemasters was much higher. I too could buy direct.

I actually ordered the same as klb - black, with the rails, etc. They have some great designs to choose from.

And, I tried to track down that bread box and can only get it from overseas now - they no longer have any US dealers.

And, double the comment on the french blue - it is a gorgeous range!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Aire

• eandhl
    16 years ago

Did any of you with Modern Aire vents have a chance to compare the MA with any other vents on the market for noise level?

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

I did not - I was more interested in finding decent alternatives for a non-vented option as we could only do recirculating. (I know, I know...it was the only option!)

We did find a few others that were either too expensive or you could only get color if you purchased a very specific range from a certain dealer.

• kelly_2000
    16 years ago

I didn't really do much research on the sound levels, either. On the highest setting, it certainly isn't silent, but not bad. I don't really have anything to compare it to, though.

• njhg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think it was rangecraft I had originally investigated. I son't remember the details, because the price was so high that I immediately discarded the idea. It was a model called canterbury. with color and rails the price was many thousands of dollars, 5 or 6 perhaps. that was when we elected to reuse the copper one ( which we just found out will not work). I'm thrilled that the modernaire sounds like it is affordable I haven't heard back from them yet, but it has been a weekend - perhaps tomorrow. and so-to bed. good night, Nora

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

If you don't hear back, post again. I can send you an email of a contact person.

• pirula
    16 years ago

Are you determined to have it match the CLuny in color? Depending on what look you're going for in the kitchen, another option is to get a Vent A Hood or other "gut" and wrap it in something. We did drywall and painted to match the kitchen walls. It's quite nice. I didn't want the hood to be a major feature in the kitchen.

Ivette

• bake_sale
    16 years ago

Nora:

I have a cluny and ended up buying the rangecraft hood. It was expensive - much more than i wanted to spend - but can tell you the quality, performance, and fit and finish are excellent. I think my model is the Aspen. I'm constantly surprised how many people first praise my hood , even before the cluny. And no matter how much smoke I cook up, the hood easily captures it all sends the fumes outside.

Unlike many other appliance purchases, dw, frig., etc., the hood and range should last a very long time. So amortizing the cost of the hood over its useful life, the difference isn't as great as it appears at very blush.

• janieo
    16 years ago

Hi Ivette,
    Did you use wood around your VAH liner? If so did you bump your VAH out to 27" and how high is it above your Lacanche? Would you recommend raising it to 36" above the burners because of possible fire issues with the wood surround? Are you pleased with the way yours works and if not, what would you change? I have a Volnay with a 40" x 24" VAH liner. My contractor is concerned about my wood frame catching fire at 30"...
    Thanks so much,
    Janie O

• njhg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just to tie things up, I wanted to let you know how things worked out. While researching all the options everyone suggested, I continued to monitor the offerings on ebay. Even tho the pickings were slim, one day I found a fan so perfect it practically had my name on it. The copper has the shiny finish as opposed to the more common hammered finish of the hoods made in Mexico. It is an Abakka fan, being sold buy the manufacturer as adiscontinued model. It even has the brass bands and rivets usually seen only in the high-end models. Here is the best part: including shipping, I paid under $2000.00!!! If only everything worked out so well.
    thanks again for all your help'
    Nora

• goldenapples
    15 years ago

Wow... you got a deal right there!

I remember reading this thread months ago and meaning to chime in, but I didn't have the info handy at the time. I wanted to recommend you look at Metallo Arts. They're basically a decorative wrap for Vent-a-Hood liners, so the fan is top-quality. Their custom work might be a bit pricy for some, its roughly comparable to Abbaka or Rangecraft, but every now and then I see they put some display models on sale for cheap - sometimes as low as $2000. And they'll custom paint them for you too - supposedly they don't charge for matching RAL colors.

Mark S.

• simplebuthandy
    15 years ago

Mark S, did you see the Campbell's Soup hood? Cool stuff. - Elliot

• masrapido
    14 years ago

bake_sale, do you have any photos of your Cluny + Hood that you can share? I also have a La Canche range (Cluny) and am looking into installing a much-needed hood over it. Here's a photo of my range and the cabinet over it (click for fullsize):

I hate to cover up any of the vintage tile, but the smoke and grease in the kitchen are getting out of hand (click for fullsize):

So I'm looking at getting a black hood possibly with some stainless and brass embellishments to try to match the range but not out-cutesify the rest of this adorable little kitchen. I've been mostly looking at Vent-A-Hood bc of their performance record.

But I can't decide between the 600cfm model and the 900cfm model. 600cfm will be much easier to install (bc it's only one duct) and the ductwork will consume less of the cabinet space so it will be mostly unnoticeable. The 900cfm has 2 ducts and will consume a bit more cabinet space and might look weird bc you will see more ductwork in that cabinet over the range. Do you think 600 will be enough? The Cluny requires 600-900cfm, but the ventahood people say that their 600cfm is like 900cfm with normal hoods (since they use a squirrel cage fan and don't pull the air through any filters).

FYI,
    * the duct only has 5 feet to go (mostly horizontally) to vent outside.
    * the hood will be 8" or so higher than the mfg recommendation.
    * the kitchen is very small (about four Clunys' area).
    * i cook with lots of heat and fat.

Thanks!