Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fix or toss?

Posted by apg4 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 14:39

The other day, the 24 or 25 year old dishwasher caused trouble for the very first time. The water valve/solenoid decided it didn't want to work anymore, so the water was still flowing with everything off. Fortunately, we caught it early, 'cause a problem like this gets expensive right quick....

Now this is a quarter-century old Hotpoint, GE's lower- echelon unit, but it is two to three times older than the expected life of even the best dishwashers today. A new water valve is $18 on-line vs. $400 to $600 for a new D/W, a significant expense right now.

Now I like things that last: I drive a 40 year old 4x4, cut wood with a 32 y.o. chainsaw and heat with a three decade old wood stove. Now Land-Rovers, Stihls and Vermont Castings were build to last. Appliances like dishwashers, not so much....

So, fix or toss? I can fix just about anything, but failure in a washer can get right expensive PDQ. A neighbor had an improperly-installed hot water fitting on a new claw-foot tub on the second floor let go right after they left for dinner and a movie. They came home to an $80,000 mess....

Cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fix or toss?

This is a pretty easy fix, so if money is tight, why not? I'd give all the hoses a pretty good inspection, but as long as the valve is working the worst you'll get is one loads worth of water on the floor from a downstream failure.

OTOH, even an inexpensive new dishwasher will probably be a lot quieter, more energy efficient, and perhaps work better than what you have now. (My mother swore that "dishwashers don't work" until we replaced her 30 year old unit with a new machine which, mirabile dictu, produced clean dishes.)

o
RE: Fix or toss?

I think you got your moneys worth after 25 years. Mine lasted 13 and I thought that was pretty good. My car (Toyota) is only 16 but the previous one lasted 18 years. Nothing lasts - or is safe - forever.

Hit the Xmas sales and find a new, shiny one. They really have changed in that time. I think they work much better and use less power, even if they do run for 1 3/4 hours on a normal cycle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here