Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apg4

Fix or toss?

apg4
11 years ago

The other day, the 24 or 25 year old dishwasher caused trouble for the very first time. The water valve/solenoid decided it didn't want to work anymore, so the water was still flowing with everything off. Fortunately, we caught it early, 'cause a problem like this gets expensive right quick....

Now this is a quarter-century old Hotpoint, GE's lower- echelon unit, but it is two to three times older than the expected life of even the best dishwashers today. A new water valve is $18 on-line vs. $400 to $600 for a new D/W, a significant expense right now.

Now I like things that last: I drive a 40 year old 4x4, cut wood with a 32 y.o. chainsaw and heat with a three decade old wood stove. Now Land-Rovers, Stihls and Vermont Castings were build to last. Appliances like dishwashers, not so much....

So, fix or toss? I can fix just about anything, but failure in a washer can get right expensive PDQ. A neighbor had an improperly-installed hot water fitting on a new claw-foot tub on the second floor let go right after they left for dinner and a movie. They came home to an $80,000 mess....

Cheers

Comments (2)