Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocks911

Replacing Electrolux oven interior

rocks911
11 years ago

So I have this fabulous new double Electrolux oven and decided to put aluminum foil on the floor of both the ovens before baking for thanksgiving.

I have apparently ruined the ovens. The aluminum fused to the bottom of both ovens and caused the oven interior bottom to warp.

I'm in the Dallas area and need to get someone by to replace the oven interiors. What do you suppose that will cost?

Comments (13)

• rocks911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I found a replacement liner and I thought I'd give replacing them a shot. At a couple hundred bucks for a pair its gotta be a lot cheaper than getting an appliance repair company out.
    Anybody ever done something like this?
    I'm pretty handy so I'm hopeful.

Here is a link that might be useful: replacement range liner

• wekick
    11 years ago

I would at least call Electrolux and talk to them before you do that. Maybe they could give you the best way to go about doing that.

• rocks911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have contacted Electrolux, not much help. The repair people they have recommended have pitiful reviews.

Can somebody recommend a good appliance service in the Dallas area?

I know this wont be cheap, and I'll pay what I have to, but I need this fixed. Is there not a reliable service company for this large job?

• dadoes
    11 years ago

As you have learned from this experience, DO NOT place foil on the bottom of an oven that has a hidden element (beneath the cavity).

• rocks911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ya think?

• rocks911
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So nobody on this board from the Dallas area with a recommendation?

• doug_gb
    11 years ago

@rocks911: I'm not an appliance repairman, but I'm an engineer. A couple of years ago a buddy of mine wanted to replace an oven liner (not Electrolux).

What a bear - we had to remove all kinds of stuff including the door. The worst part was getting the liner back in because of the insulation.

I highly doubt there's anyone who would want to tackle the job - I see a high probability of something not working, misaligned, etc.

IMO there's too much to go wrong with lots of laibility.

• Pat290
    10 years ago

I too have a one yr old electrolux oven which I ruined by putting aluminum foil on the bottom. We were set to replace the oven interior but was told by the Sears repairman that the cost just for coming to the house was $75.00 and $100.00 an hour to replace the liner. Potentially a 5 hour job. The oven works fine but looks ugly with the aluminum foil melted onto the bottom. He suggested a silicone bottom oven liner which is about $23.00 to cover the mess I made.

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

Rocks, call customer service and see if they will sell you the service manual for the oven. If they will, the service manual should tell you the steps involved in removing the liner. As Doug pointed out, you might have to remove a whole bunch of stuff, on the other hand, since it is new, you should get stopped by rusted bolts or nuts, and while it may take a little time, someone put it together once, so it must be able to be done again, and it may not be that bad. At worst, you are out the cost of the service manual if it does not describe the procedure, or it sounds too hard. Sorry about your misfortune, I would be in the same place as you , but fortunately, I read some horror stories here before I got my new range, so I didn't cover the bottom with aluminum foil. My final suggestion is if is still works fine, see if you can live with the looks. I assume it doesn't impact the function of the oven, and it is probably like the big scrape you put on your brand new car - it hurts a lot to look at it when new, but as the years go on, it doesn't hurt so much.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

I don't know what's the melting point of a silicone liner but I'd be afraid it would also melt.ÃÂ The full heat of the red-hot element radiates through the oven floor.

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

Why go to the big expense of fixing a cosmetic problem inside a brand new oven? Waste of money. Put in the new parts when you are ready to sell. Everything will probably loosen up with use and the job will be a lot easier.

Cook all the messy delights you always wanted to try and devil take the hindmost!
    Oh yeah it will be a good visual reminder they come with user manuals for a reason.
    And manufacturers should put a "NO" sticker inside bottom front to warn folks transistioning from older open element stoves where the foil caused no problems.

This post was edited by laat2 on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 19:27

• dan1888
    10 years ago

The job is time consuming. But it is not something that requires special tools, or equipment. Film the dismantle and label and have compartments for all the fasteners and sub assemblies. I would tackle this yourself. Maybe invite over an engineer friend or two. Use only oem parts.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

"I don't know what's the melting point of a silicone liner but I'd be afraid it would also melt. The full heat of the red-hot element radiates through the oven floor."

Not to mention the out-gassing from hot silicone . . .