Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

Wolf AG (older style/model) broiler not working

cat_mom
10 years ago

The broiler in our 2008 Wolf AG range appears to be malfunctioning (not lighting). I tried doing a search because I thought someone else had experienced broiler problems within the past couple of years, but couldn't find the thread.

We will place a call to Wolf this week, but was wondering if others have experienced issues with their broilers, what the problem was, and how it was resolved.

Thanks!

This post was edited by cat_mom on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 14:35

Comments (20)

• xedos
    10 years ago

Does gas flow to the element when you turn the knob ?

Could you light it with wand lighter ?

• teachmkt
    10 years ago

Yes and replaced ignitor about 4 years ago when range was 6 years old. Around $250, don't know if you can do it yourself or not. Has worked fine since.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great--ours is about 5 yrs old so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, though not thrilled(!).

Did you replace yours by yourself teachmkt or have them come out to do it?

Just spent $240 to replace some parts on our Miele DW recently. *sigh*

xedos--yes, gas definitely flows (you can smell it), and there are some intermittent blue flames floating around the broiler element/top of the oven cavity, but the broiler doesn't appear to "catch" or glow red.

No desire to stick a match lite in there. Will do the burners with it when the power is out, but that's about it.

• palomalou
    10 years ago

Our Wolf AG broiler stopped working at 8 years and we were informed it needed a new broiler burner. We had that replaced and it now works fine. Not long before that we needed a new bake burner. Neither was a terribly cheap part or repair, sadly. But when I look at other appliances we have had, almost all of those with electronics needed an expensive repair (under warranty) in year 1, so I am reconciled.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have a service appt scheduled, so I am glad to read that those who've experienced this issue (or similar issue), were able to have it resolved.

palomalou--we also had our oven burner tube replaced (if that's the part you mean) a year or two ago. Thank goodness Wolf is/has been as responsive as they've been with any problems we've had over the years. Service tech wasn't convinced there was a problem, but the new part was ordered by Wolf regardless (we called the person at Wolf who'd set up the appt for us, while the tech was here). It was clear when the old part was removed, that it was defective/damaged. The new part resolved the issue we were experiencing, so I could resume baking with less trepidation--except for user error of course! :)

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Resolution: clogged broiler orifice; now unclogged!

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks roc! I agree!!!

• jzf0fk
    10 years ago

Hi Cat_mom

how did you go about unclogging the broiler. I might have the same issue. Only portion of broiler is working. I had a tech service this years ago but I think it got clogged again.

I have a couple of other issues with the stove ( 1) fan noise, 2) using the oven and the stove causes the igniter to continue to click, 3) one of the burner doesn't activate the igniter and I have to use a match to light...). I have live with the other issues but this one bothers me the most...

Thanks for your help.

Richard

• jzf0fk
    10 years ago

Maybe this will help. The broiler has this mesh like material that shape like the letter "H" (sideways). That part lights up but the portion that doesn't light up are the 2 square plates (5" x 5"). They are covered with grease from my other cooking adventure.

I can't recall but are the square plates suppose to light up? Can I clean them?

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The broiler itself wasn't clogged, rather, it was an orifice in the back of the range (located on the outside the range--you have to remove the trim piece in back to access it). I didn't do the unclogging, nor did I see the actual piece/orifice, or its exact location either, the tech took care of it.

As for your range's other issues, I'd have the range checked out by a service tech. The burner issues could be igniter-related.

Good luck!

This post was edited by cat_mom on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 23:51

• charon70
    8 years ago

Hi Cat_mom....Do you like the Wolf AG still? Why did you decide to purchase the AG instead of the DF? How well does the oven work?

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We still like it. One thing that I've always disliked about the oven is not being able to place 1/2 sheet pans in longways (36" wide oven could've handled them side-by-side otherwise). Otherwise, once we had burner tube replaced, I think it cooks pretty evenly across the width of the oven. Food close to the oven walls might cook a bit faster, but I'd think that would be the case in most ovens.

I'd always had gas ranges so I was fine continuing with one. When we chose our original range during the kitchen reno, we did a lot of roasting, so the salesperson felt we might prefer AG vs DF (for the AG's moist heat). When we swapped out our problematic Jade range for the Wolf, we knew we didn't want an automatic cooling fan, or a lot of electronics. So we chose the Wolf AG.

• charon70
    8 years ago

Have you done any baking in it? Bread, cookies, etc... If so, how did it perform?

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It performed and continues to perform fine for me. I don't bake as much as I used to, pre-Wolf (just coincidence), but when I do, it performs well.

(FYI, I don't have any experience with the newer models at all)

• charon70
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses! I have been agonizing over whether to select the AG or DF. I am leaning towards the AG and next year, after I save a few more pennies, purchase the M series wall oven and a steam oven. At times, I think I should get the DF and only purchase the steam oven. I just go back and forth....lol. I am driving my DH nuts!

• barryv_gw
    8 years ago

Charon, get the AG and the wolf combi and you should be fine. The combi will give you the benefits of baking with electric elements, and you can use the gas oven for things that cook better in gas ( like roasts ), and save a lot of money compared to the DF Wolf.

• charon70
    8 years ago

Thank you barryv! You make a very good point. I am going to get the AG.

• Debbie Guinn
    8 years ago

Our wolf range is 7 yrs old and the broiler doesn't work. Had the certified wolf repairman come out and he said that I have to have the broiler element and the thermostat replaced...in all...his labor and parts are going to cost me $750! He told me that wolf recommends replacing the thermostat at the same time the broiler element is replaced. Is this correct? I can't believe it is going to cost $750 to fix! yikes!!!!!

• kalapointer
    8 years ago

I would call Wolf and ask them about the need to replace the thermostat or not.