Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viking Gas Range Problems

Posted by MGDawg (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 14:22

Hi guys,

I have a 30" Viking range (VGIC3074) that I'm having a few issues with. Currently when lighting either of the right bank burners, I get ignition but all four ignitors will start clicking (they don't actually stop clicking until I turn off both right burners). The left bank of burners are fine. What can be the problem? Also, I've looked at my owners' manual and I can't seem to figure out how to get to the actual wiring / burners on the unit. Does any one have instruction on how to access the range's inner workings on my particular model?

Thanks for all the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viking Gas Range Problems

Not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying that when you turn on a burner on the right side, all 4 burners click - that is pretty common with many of the pro style ranges, and is the way my Viking DF works. I think you are saying that once the flame comes on, all 4 burners continue to click, and that is the problem? The ignitors have a sensor that lets it know that the one you are trying to light has caught. I would first use a dry toothbrush, or a qtip with alcohol, to try to clean off any debris on the ignitor ( the thing with the metal wire that the sparks shoots out of ) and the body of the ignitor. If that doesn't help, you might want to do a search here on ignitor problems - it could be it is wet and isn't sensing the flame, in which case it might work once it dries out, or it could have gone bad, in which case it will have to be replaced, or it could be a module. I have linked one post on a similar problem

Here is a link that might be useful: ignitor problems

o

Thanks for the response Barry. That's exactly what is happening. However, it's been going on for a few weeks now, definitely not something wet. I'll try cleaning them with alcohol, but the fact that the two burners on the right side are doing it (yet not the ones on the left) are making me question whether this is a spark module issue or just 2 bad ignitors.

As for the linked posts, it seems that in the poster's case the sparks keep going even when all burners are off. That's not happening for me.

o

I've had this happen before. It's usually caused by dirt and gunk built up around or on the ignitors. Give the left side burners a thorough cleaning and see if that solves the problem.

Spilled liquids can also cause the same problem.

o

Definitely clean the ignitors with alcohol but also check the ports in the burner rings near the ignitors - if they're clogged, the ignitor might not detect the flame.

o

Ignitors cleaned and ports are clear. Problem remains. Guess I'm going to have to call in a service tech. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here