Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeann12_gw

help! buying a kitchen sink

janeann12
11 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen. The granite/caesarstone fabricator includes a D shaped stainless steel Alpha brand sink for orders over 35 sq ft. I have NEVER heard of "Alpha" brand sinks. There is a website for them BUT no reviews anywhere. The only retailer that seems to sell them is "knobs & pulls" on the internet. Has anyone heard of them? The sink is an 18/10 stainless. I am afraid of installing it and if it is poor quality having to replace it in a couple of years which would cost hundreds!!! Someone suggested that I ask for a credit and buy a $300 elkay sink. Please help!

Comments (9)

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Never heard of that brand. But one used frequently on the kitchen forum is Ticor, linked below. For a SS sink I would go with a 18/10, definitely. Everyone seems very happy with these.

I would cross post this on Kitchens if you want comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galaxy Tool Supply

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Sorry, I meant 16/10, which is a heavier gauge.

• venmarfan
    11 years ago

I would take the advice of asking for a credit and buying what YOU like.I MIGHT be wrong but my guess is Alpha is another of those cheap and cheerful "crafted in China" sinks. Check out in person various Elkay, Kohler, Kindred sinks,Elkay has a bold brushed finish in some models but they all offer good features and fine finishing. Compared with the cost of your countertops two to four hundred extra for a sink you will enjoy everyday is worth it.

• kaseki
    11 years ago

18/10 relates to the chromium and nickel content of the steel, not the gauge. The gauge should be determined before buying. Ticor sinks (which I have, thanks THS) are also made in China, but seem to be of decent quality (at least when I bought mine a few years ago).

Another factor to consider is sink depth with respect to whether the garbage disposal outlet is high enough to provide enough drainage slope from the trap weir to the DWV connection at the wall under the sink. Deep sinks such as some Ticor models can be challenging in this respect if the disposal has too much length to its outlet for the plumbing configuration. Alternatively, plan ahead.

kas

• otterkill
    11 years ago

I bought my sink (Ticor) from overstock.com...I thought it was a good deal, no sales tax and very low (or free if you are a member) and fast delivery. $219.99

• otterkill
    11 years ago

My sink

• alwaysfixin
    11 years ago

Regardless of the brand, I do not like "free sinks" that come with countertop installation because usually the homeowner isn't given much of a choice as to size and configuration. You mentioned a D-shape - some people prefer a rectangular shape, do you? (there's no right or wrong choice in shape, it's personal preference, but if you like a rectangular shape more, then don't take the offer of the free D-shape sink). What is the width of the free sink? It should depend on your sink-base cabinet size - has that been determined? Most people like a sink 30" wide or more, if they have the room for it. Is the sink a single bowl or double bowl? If it is a double-bowl, are the bowls 50-50 (boo) or a 60-40 or 70-30 - which configuration do you like?

You should make all these sink choices yourself based on what you like and your style of cooking/working in the kitchen. We can help you here if you are not sure (actually the Kitchens Forum is the better forum for sink talk). But don't just take whatever is offered for free; you will have to live with it for years, long after the fabricator has moved on and forgotten about you.

We didn't even talk about whether you want stainless or not. Do you like enamelled cast iron instead? Or Silgranit (what I have). If you want stainless steel, go for it, but you may want for your new kitchen a new sink material too.

• weissman
    11 years ago

Definitely get the sink you want - but I wouldn't count on much of a credit from the fabricator.

• janeann12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the responses! I did not accept the free sink (which turned out to be made in China and of poor quality). Instead I bought an Elkay SS D shape and love it.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz