Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyersmom1

Your thoughts on selections for remodel

MarieInClt
9 years ago

We are in the process of finalizing appliances and design for a complete kitchen remodel. We are empty nesters that absolutely love to cook and entertain often. After reading the extremely helpful info here on GW we have decided so far on:
SubZero 42" French Door refrig.
BS 36" six burner rangetop ( We can't wait to start cooking on this!!)
BS 30" electric French Door wall oven
Miele speed oven...still trying to decide between Chef and Masterchef. We have always had double ovens plus a microwave so having one oven and a speed oven makes so much sense. I just have concerns about the learning curve with using a speed oven. I would rather save $$ where I can and leaning toward the Chef. I was considering the Advantium ( still $$) but have concerns with Electrolux buyout. And then there is Electrolux as a possibility. I still need to read more on the speed ovens but would appreciate any thoughts.
The French Door Refrig will be right next to the ovens. We are paneling the refrig so as not to have three different stainless steel appliances next to each other. We really would like the speed oven (guessing Miele) above the BS wall oven. Any thoughts on how this will look?? We would have to use the trim kit on the Miele speed oven or another possibility would be to have the speed oven moved under the counter. For those that have it under counter do you have any problems seeing it? My eyes are not like they used to be!
Still doing my homework on the vent for the 36" rangetop...36 or 42, etc. and also a Miele DW as a possibility.
After 25 years in our kitchen we are looking forward to a total redesign so it can accommodate all the above! And thanks to all the GW people for such valuable info and thoughts.

Comments (6)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>SubZero 42" French Door refrig

Excellent.

>BS 36" six burner rangetop ( We can't wait to start cooking on this!!)

Excellent.

>BS 30" electric French Door wall oven

Too new for user input, but looks great. Please come back to Gardenweb after you have it in and post a review for us.

>Miele speed oven...still trying to decide between Chef and Masterchef

I would go Masterchef, because of its built in recipes. For a regular oven, I would say it doesn't matter whether you go Chef or Masterchef, because I think we all know how to follow a recipe. However, there aren't really recipes for speed ovens outside of ones provided by the manufacturer. The Chef series with the knobs requires you to manually input times, temps, and power levels for microwave, convection element, broil element, etc... pretty daunting and a steep learning curve. You would pretty much have to figure it out by trial and error. It is the only speed oven on the market without built in recipes, and more expensive than ones that do have it. With the Masterchef, you just pick the food you want from the menu and the oven does all the work. If the Masterchef is too expensive for you, I would look to GE or Electrolux.

>I was considering the Advantium ( still $$) but have concerns with Electrolux buyout

I would not let that be a factor in your decision, both companies have made it very clear that they will continue to support GE products and will honor all GE warranties.

• MarieInClt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks HvTech... I've only seen the 30" advantium and was impressed by the interior size, but didn't like the idea of changing and storing the racks, etc. between microwave and oven features. It is 1.7 cu. ft. The 24" Miele is 1.5 cu. ft. But the 30" Electrolux is only 1.1 cu ft. So, this is confusing me. I am having a difficult time locating the Electrolux speed oven on the floor in my area. ( Electrolux Headquarters!) I'll keep searching. I also don't really mind that everything is not matchy matchy but I would like to stack the speed oven above the BS French door oven and I don't want it to look weird either. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks!

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

We have the 36" FD Sub-Zero and love it. No complaints at all!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I have the BS electric french door wall oven on order (along with a BS RNB30). They said 6-8 weeks. 6 weeks will be next weekend, so it could be here fairly soon. I'm so excited! Stick around so we can compare notes on the wall oven!

• MarieInClt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great to hear that you are happy with the French door subzero!
    Beth, I bet you are anxious to get the BS electric French door oven installed. We will definitely compare notes. Guessing we will be ready to install ours late spring. I'll keep GW posted! How do you like the RNB30?

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

The RNB30 is on order with the oven. Hoping both will be here in the next 1-3 weeks. We'll see!