Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

Bluestar and American: grate and burner sizes, and pot sizes?

tetrazzini
16 years ago

I'm still considering different ranges.... I'm not buying a Viking, but I've read that their grates are awkward for small pots. How are the burner grates on the Bluestar and American ranges for pot diameters of 5", 6" or 7"? These are pots I frequently use and obviously don't want them to be tipping over into gaps on the grates!

Also, lots of ranges have one small, 5000 BTU, burner. I'd probably use this often for simmering things. But are those small rings TOO small to heat the bottoms of medium size pots, like a 4 qt. soup pot?

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

hey - here are some more photos of the american - these are from Dvorson's - it shows the grates a little. Might help. Also, I've posted my photos on the American thread if it helps.

Each burner goes to 140 degree simmer. I know looking at some ranges it looks like smaller pots would fall through but the American didn't seem to have that issue. Obviously, I can't check it yet but it seems like the smaller pots would be fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: more pix

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

Here is another shot - American - Maybe someone could post the space between the opening in the center.

• mccall
    16 years ago

Check the Bluestar site and check out the burners and grates. I had some great pics of my own but can't seem to find them at the moment. But they are there on the site under photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue star site

• alku05
    16 years ago

I have no problems using small pots on my Bluestar. I took the picture below for someone who wanted to see how many big pots would fit on the grates, but the pot in the rear back is a 6" pot and it fits fine. The gap between the main 4 prongs is 3" so anything bigger than that is totally usable. Indeed, my DH uses a tiny espresso pot on the rangetop, but he has to place it off to the side b/c it's only 2.5" in diameter. But it works.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone. The funny thing is that I saw a Viking range tonight and its grates didn't appear to have large gaps either. But somewhere in this forum, Viking owners definitely mentioned this. Hmph. Anyway, it's good to see your rangetop pictures and your assurances!

• jacobsmishpacha
    16 years ago

I think the bigger issue with pot size is the flame. With sealed burners, there is a cover over the flame which makes the flame spread out around the cover. I think that you need to make sure that there are enough small burners (covers) or the flame will go up the sides of your pots instead of on the bottom.

One problem a lot of people have with commercial style ranges are that some retain the "largeness" of the restaurant environment and are more efficient at cooking for large quantities then for small. You should make sure that the range you choose is in fact going to cook on small cookware better then a more traditional, non-commercial style.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jacob, these are the types of things that I don't know to ask. I didn't know that about the sealed burner spreading out the flames. I never realized how many factors there are to consider in changing to a gas range. I've used a crummy electric coil for years.

I'm having a hard time knowing what features mean what, including BTUs. I've asked here before, but still don't have a good understanding. Will the flames be too wide, as you mentioned? Too small to be effective on all but the smallest pots? How many BTUs will be over the top and unnecessary for the kind of cooking I do -- 15k, 18k? Or will these allow me to easily do things I've never been able to do well and didn't know why? And customer service people never know the straight story on BTU loss when converting to propane.

This is the hardest appliance decision I've had to make.

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

my 48" american can use all different pots / pans. i think the step up model uses different racks but i saw it once a while ago. haven't had a problem with the small frying pans or small sauce pots on the big burners either.the grates on mine are all level and any size pot / pan can slide across without snags.
    best of luck in your search. plumorcard found out some great info in another post on american range (i think it was).
    john
    917-842-1809

• mccall
    16 years ago

egganddart
    This is one of the biggest features of the Bluestar the unique burner design that has been used for decades as one of the best of Restaraunt ranges. The star burners cover the full bottom of the pan not just a ring around the outside.
    As for burner power. The Bluestar has the most powerful burners at 22K but that same burner will also go very low. it also has, on a 30" model, one 15K and the simmer burner.
    So it gives you the most versatility in your cooking of anything out there, plus the infra red broiler and the largest available oven. By the way the open burner design makes this very easy to clean, grates and bowls can go right in the DW or you can just invert one grate that might have something on it over another burner and burn off food. the drip pan under the top catches anything that might fall through and if you cover that tray with foil you just change the foil occasionally.

• jacobsmishpacha
    16 years ago

My apartment I am renting during my remodel has sealed burners. They are frustrating when I want to cook a small pot on high heat- most of the heat goes up the sides of the pot. A Sealed burner forces the heat into a ring, not a full surface like your old coils. That is why I went with the Blue Star.

Another option you might want to consider is Induction. If your pots are stainless steel or cast iron (a magnet will stick to them) they will work on induction. If they are something like aluminum you would have to replace your cookware. But Induction is easy to clean and also will cover the entire bottom of your pot.

• johnnytugs1
    16 years ago

jacobsmishpacha,
    with my 48" american range i don't have a problem with my smallest frying pan which is like 6-8" on the sealed burner nor do i with the small pot i use to warm small amounts of sauce or melt chocolate or warm veggies.the head is only maybe 3.5-4" inches across, just guessing i'm not home so i can't ck for exact measurements. but it works just fine.what problems should arise fom that situation? thanks & happy holidays,
    john
    jackson,n.j. 917-842-1809

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

Just to update the info - I was able to measure the grates. The distance between any two points is 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 - there aren't any large gaps. I tried a 5" pot and it sat fine. Can't wait to use it!