Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nunyabiz_gw

Induction Range Vs Gas

nunyabiz
15 years ago

My wife & I are in the process of buying a new range.

Currently we have an old POS that is a 28 year old electric GE.

This morning I looked up under the house and found out that we do not have any gas hookup.

Called the local gas company and they said it would be "approx. $500-$700+" for them to install about $30 worth of pipe that probably wouldn't take 2 hours to do.

So unfortunately a really nice gas range is out, although personally I would rather have the absolute cheapest gas range available VS the best Electric on the market, so I am weighing the differences between an Induction range (about $2800) Vs one of the cheapest gas models I can find that is decent (probably about $1250) So even with spending at least $700+ on gas line installation it will still be cheaper than any electric that I would want.

Kenmore has an Induction now that is a free standing model which is what we need.

What does everyone think about a cheaper Gas model Vs an Induction range?

Any recommendations for the gas range (under $1300).

Induction any good?

and I really like to cook with my cast iron skillets as nothing else really comes close.

This is the gas one we were thinking about.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02278853000P

Here is the Induction.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02299913000P

Comments (22)

• bookmom41
    15 years ago

I'm looking forward to any comments on this thread regarding the new induction ranges at Sears. We don't have gaslines where I live and my electric coil range is slowly dying. For my area, the induction ranges are not available for delivery until Nov 8--tomorrow--so I'll be haunting Sears trying to get a look at one. I'm wondering who makes the ranges, how the induction part will hold up over the extremely high heat of the self-cleaning oven part, what about the infamous Sears service... especially since this is the first reasonably priced, locally available (hopefully) induction range.

• nunyabiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have yet to actually touch one so have no idea.
    However if you see one at your local Sears you can jot down the Model number from the ID tag and then check it here.

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml

That should tell you who makes that particular model.

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

First of all the only induction range I know of is the Diva 36" and the retail on that is over $9,000. If you are talking a 30" hi-bred induction cooktop which does not have an oven. The cooktop 30" 1,200 and 30" electric oven which may or may not be able to install under the cooktop would require a cabinet and counter top at additional cost or you could buy the Hotpoint 30" all gas range which has been rated the best buy for the last 10 years for under $500.00

• nunyabiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope, it is an actual Induction Range with Oven.
    It is a Kenmore and from what I have just learned it appears to be made for Sears by Electrolux.
    It is new on the market just in the last month or so.

Electrolux makes their cook tops so stands to reason they are making the freestanding range model.

http://theinductionsite.com/hob-makers/kenmore-induction-hobs.shtml

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction range Kenmore

• nunyabiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the listing for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Induction Range

• zedd
    15 years ago

It is made by Electrolux.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

scroll down on nunyabiz's link and you will see the slide in range on the left side of the page.
    I considered it but just can't go with Sears: new product with no track record and thought of needing service...

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

Looking at Sears.com, they list a Kenmore 30" 4-element induction range for a bit over $3000. It has a large (to me at least) interior with convection and a hidden bottom element. It also has a warming drawer.

Starting a debate about induction versus gas is akin to starting a holy war.

Personally I love induction. And now that I see this unit is available, I'll probably jump on it like a cat on a mouse.

• nunyabiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I basically know nothing about Induction other than the absolute basics.
    Is the cook top the same as a "Smooth top Electric"?
    Ceramic glass type thing?

Scratches easily?
    able to use an Iron Skillet without messing it up?
    Are they reliable or prone to repairs?

• rogerv_gw
    15 years ago

Be sure to check on the electrical requirements for an induction range, they seem to be more than a standard electric stove. It can cost as much to add electrical wiring as to run a gas line, understanding all your costs going in is a good idea.

-Roger

• nunyabiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great point thank you.

• zedd
    15 years ago

Yes, smooth caramic top, just like regular electric.

It will scratch if you slide pans. When moving pans on the cook top, lift them to move them and it will not scratch.

Cast iron is one of THE best things to use on induction.

As for reliability, it is a fairly basic technology that has been around a long time, just never caught on that much in North America. It's expensive to purchase, almost $1000 more for the exact same range in regular electric.

Needs a 50amp circuit, like a regular electric range.

• rogerv_gw
    15 years ago

Okay, I just looked at a 30-inch electric stove versus a 30-inch induction stove, and both require 40 amps. I was thinking of a 30-inch induction cooktop (40 amps) versus a 36-inch induction cooktop (50 amps).

Sorry.

-Roger

• Fori
    15 years ago

I use cast iron pans (nice ones as well as cheap ones) on my induction and don't worry about scratching. (That's because I was planning on replacing it so I abused it I mean tested its limitations. I haven't yet started on my kitchen remodel but the darn cooktop still looks good! Of course new models won't have the same materials as the old and may not be as tough, but glass is good stuff...)

Unlike regular ceramic top stoves, you can cook on a paper towel or other cushion if you're worried about scratching. Makes it easier to clean up if you boil over, too.

My cooktop was installed in 1983. So the technology certainly has the ability to be reliable!

• bookmom41
    15 years ago

I, too, am ready to jump on this like a cat on a mouse. Instead, though, I'll let a few others jump first and listen to the feedback--assuming I can baby along my current range a bit more. Already gave DH notice that this is the range in which I'm interested.

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

Extra 15% off using a Sears card through Saturday.

Induction will require steel (magnetic) pans. No glass, no aluminum. A magnet must stick to it.

wonder if this range will show up at Lowes as an Electrolux?

• llaatt22
    15 years ago

The components (cooktop, oven, warming drawer) seem to be based on the Electrolux ICON Designer series perhaps minus some parts of the Wavetouch control system. If the usual Sears introductory incentives show up it looks like it will be a great buy. No doubt GE, Whirlpool, and the rest won't want to be left behind on this configuration for long.

• nunyabiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the info.
    Looks like my wife & I are going to buy one of these at Sears tomorrow.
    From what I can tell we should be able to get it for $2590.
    That is about $700 off of list.

• bookmom41
    15 years ago

When I looked at the Sears site last night, the price of each range had gone up by about $300 or so as compared to the price when I first found the range on the site last Sunday.

• nunyabiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well we went and looked at it today and kept looking for about 5 hours but the bottom line was that the Range with a over the range microwave plus delivery and tax was going to be around $3700.
    I looked at the Electrolux Ranges and they were WAY better built. The Induction top seemed fine however for about $3000 the over all package just did not seem worth it to me.

I want an Induction range but not THAT bad.

We walked out an bought nothing.

• nunyabiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looked at the Sears website today and they dropped the price by another $500 since yesterday.
    With the 15% off for Sears Card that is around $2160.
    Now they are getting close.
    If they had just given us that price YESTERDAY we most likely would have bought it, now I am a bit pissed.

• nunyabiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Made a mistake on last post.
    I misunderstood the website as it is not very clear.
    It is actually just a straight 15% off, nothing extra taken off using charge card but you do get 12 months interest free.
    So actually its still $2635.
    Oh well, might wait until Electrolux pulls their head out and makes a free standing Induction range of their own.