Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wkate640

Buying from big box vs. appliance store

wkate640
13 years ago

I've spent some time looking to see if there are any postings on this subject but couldn't find any. We've heard that appliances sold in big box stores are made with less expensive parts, i.e. plastic, where those same parts in appliances sold at appliance stores are made with better parts, perhaps metal where appropriate, thus the difference in price. Does anyone have the facts on this? And are the warranties different?

Comments (18)

• Fori
    13 years ago

If the model number is the same, it's the same thing. Same warranty.

I know there is a rumor going around like that for plumbing but again, if it's the same SKU, it's the same item.

You MIGHT get a better installer from an appliance store though.

Keep in mind that if a manufacturer sells most of their stuff through a big box, they aren't going to ruin their reputation by putting their worst stuff there. And they aren't really any cheaper unless you catch a good sale.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Major appliance companies ruin their reputation selling junk everyday.

Yes look at the model numbers.

Many times they are different even though they look the same.

Some inferior parts to lower the price point. Sometimes they are the same.

Some companies only sell junk. They really can't lower the quality to sell to the big box stores at an even lower price.

• wkate640
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much. Plllog, I know what you mean about the difference in fabric, being a sewer. Very good analogy.

• wkate640
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We've been looking over the past several months as we have time, but now we need to look seriously. We've narrowed down to particular brands but how will we know by model number which appliances have plastic or other inferior parts if in fact they really do? For example, how can we tell if Samsung ABC is better than Samsung XYZ if everything appears to be the same?

• weissman
    13 years ago

Generally the "official" products will appear on the companies website with the "official" model number. Usually, the "alternate" version will have a similar number but with an extra digit or number tacked on or some other variation. If the number is in any way different, it's a different model.

By the way, not all variants are cheaper. Sometimes a manufacturer will make a special model for a particular store that might have additional features.

• wkate640
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah...very good to know. Thanks weissman.

• nerdyshopper
    13 years ago

I am old enough to recall about 30 years ago when Kenmore (Sears) top loaders came in flavors. The most common only had baked enamel tops and to get porcelain you had to pay extra. Some top model (Lady Kenmore if I recall) had the same porcelain top as the Whirlpool. But Kenmore offered plastic doodads like soap and bleach dispensers which were not available from Whirlpool. I got disgusted and bought the kids a Whirlpool for a wedding present.
    However, lately I think Sears has been getting even better products than the manufacturer sells in his line. I have read that service and warranty is very good at Lowes. Seems to depend a bit on individual store managers as to how you get treated. There is one near my home that has never treated me as well as an older store in a nearby community.

• antss
    13 years ago

.........and sometimes the units are identical EXCEPT for the serial # so stores can play sales games like loss leader , door buster , your lucky day, preferred cust. slaes without upsetting the distribution channel and the price matching gimmick.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Sigh. Too true about the games.

If you really know exactly what you're getting, you can do well playing the loss leaders, so long as you don't get bid up on something else. In the end of the day, however, I found the best thing about buying from a full service, single location appliance store was the post sale service. The reps were advocates for me when I had a problem with one unit, and in obtaining hard to find accessories for another, when there were construction issues with my hood, and when I needed a service call. You can't buy that. That comes from forming a relationship.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Very often the model numbers are slightly different--you might see (random example here) a KS3254 at your local store and online, but a KS3254HD at Home Depot, because Home Depot (and Lowe's, etc.) have manufacturers make ever-so-slightly-different versions of things specifically for that store. Part of the reason for that is that they can then say, "If you find the same thing elsewhere for less, we will match that price!"--but you will never find the same thing elsewhere, because the KS3254**HD** is only sold at Home Depot. (I am making up these numbers to show how this works.)

So it's certainly worth being cautious, because yes, there are things at big box stores that are made especially for them and are not identical to the "same" thing sold elsewhere.

• bjtanner2
    7 years ago

I went to the source for the answer. Here it is directly from GE appliances:

There is no difference between these two models. The model JS750SF3SS is the same as the GE® 30" Slide-In Front Control Electric Convection Range JS750SFSS:

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/JS750SFSS

These are the same model. When the model is manufactured, these extra letters/numbers are placed on the appliance rating plate and product registration to identify manufacturing specific data when the appliance is made. Should service or parts be needed, these are used as identifiers for the specific appliance.

Thank you again for reaching out to us and choosing GE Appliances.

From poster: Differences in numbers references production run date when manufacturing changes are made during the time span of producing a specific model number. In other words, as problems are corrected with the manufacturing of a certain model, modification to parts and process are made, and these are reflected in the different numbers added to model number.

• lasoul101
    5 years ago

I think some of the people commenting are missing your question.

Manufacturers of plumbing fixtures and lawn mowers for example make "less expensive" lines which they pour into the big box stores. Then, at show rooms or manufacturer stores, they fill will higher end products. For example a John Deere mower will cost you more at the dealer, not because they jacked up the price, but because it's a higher end model that at the Home Depot. Most people don't wanna spend $6,000 on a mower so John Deere makes less expensive mowers.

Ditto for plumbing fixtures. Your plumbing show room and Lowe's may indeed carry Moen, Delta etc. but those companies make less expensive faucets for the big box stores. There are more plastic pieces for example. That faucet may last you 5 years, but if you spend just a little more at the plumbing show room, your facet will have more metal pieces and last much longer.

All a manufacturer's products will be decent, but the low end stuff ends up at the big box stores for consumers who wanna make a change but are on a budget.

I see no reason why appliance manufacturers don't do the same. If you compare model number to model number exactly, then you will get the same product. However, I'm sure the big box stores and Best Buy don't even carry the high end stuff. So if appliances are anything like mowers or plumbing fixtures, you get what you pay for and YES, it's better to buy appliances at an appliance center instead of the big box stores but only because they'll have available units that the big box stores don't even get which would include more "meant to last" products.

• wkate640
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you lasoul. I posted this question quite a while ago, and since then have had to replace the board (at a cost of $500) on my Electrolux oven, purchased at a family-run appliance store, now out of business. It first stopped working when it was two years old--of course, it was just out of warranty... We replaced one board for about $250 but it still didn't work, so returned that board for another. Second one didn't work either. I was without an oven for a couple of years (vacation home, so not crucial, but thank goodness I had a convection microwave (GE) as a fall-back). Electrolux was absolutely no help. We were on our own with this problem. Remodeled another kitchen last year and purchased all GE appliances from another appliance store and haven't had a moment's problem. So I guess you can get a lemon from an appliance store, and maybe the differences in the appliances at a big box may not make much of a difference, except in cost.

• frank barker
    3 years ago

I remodeled my kitchen 5 years ago. I purchased top of the line Bosch appliances. The dishwasher although very efficient has had an odor after the wash cycle from day one. I mentioned that to the appliance store where I purchased the appliances. They told me that it was new and the smell will go away. STILL THERE. I also purchased a convection microwave again Bosch. Paid around $1500.00 the circuit board was defective. It was under warrenty so it was replaced. 4 years later same problem. Sent the microwave out and it cost me $400,00 to have it replaced again. I called Bosch no help. The appliance store no help. So that being said no matter what you pay, the appliances today are all junk. When I had my home built 20 years ago I had GE Profile Serie appliances with absolutly no issues. Should have stayed with them.

• gail.katz
    10 months ago

It's been awhile! We are replacing our hot water heater. I wanted a reliable one as I've always bought good brands (Rheem, Bradford-White) and have had good luck. 2 yrs ago, we moved into a 50 yr old home that has a State Select which seems fine actually, 2015 install. However, water is taking awhile to get hot, etc., so decided I'd rather be safe than sorry. Sent the plumber we found a few months ago an email with the Rheem I wanted. We had talked to him about this a few months ago when he was out for another problem. He had said he had some Rheems that were fine for our home in his shop. After he saw my email, he said the one I wanted wasnt' vented right, etc. Obvious that he didn't want to discuss it and wants to sell us the Rheem he has. I asked if they are glass-lined as that is a must. He did not know. Whaaaaat? He can't look at the specs? He called the mfg'r and let me know later that yes, it was glass-lined. Doesn't have a model number to share with me so I can look at it myself. 3500.00 to purchase and install. I want to know what I'm getting. He also told us that if we bought it from box store it would be cheap junk and his, coming straight from the manufacturer, is high quality. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even new. It should have all the specs right on it. I'm feeling uncertain to say the least. Seems everything we purchase these days is questionable. In the past, all my large appliances were fine, Kenmore usually.

This plumber didn't even mention a warranty.

• wdccruise
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

@gail.katz: "3500.00 to purchase and install."

Thirty-five hundred dollars to install a water heater? I paid $750 for a 40 gallon gas water heater from Lowes plus $700 for a plumber to install it (and it was a difficult installation). I had gotten a quote from Lowes of $1800 alone for the installation which I rejected. Call around and get another quote.

"He also told us that if we bought it from box store it would be cheap junk and his, coming straight from the manufacturer, is high quality."

This is ridiculous. If the model number is the same, the product is the same regardless of the retailer.

"Seems everything we purchase these days is questionable.

No, only this plumber is "questionable".

• gail.katz
    10 months ago

Thanks, wd.