Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bksinaz

The search is back on, NXR will not work for me.

bksinaz
9 years ago

NXR has a gas oven, therefore has a bread baker, I want an electric oven and I am asking for this forums advice for purchase.

Requirements: Budget is $2500,
*30 inch, dual fuel,
*at least one front burner is 15000 BTU or higher,
*single oven... not double,
*slide in,
*stainless steel,
*convection oven manual on and off switch,
*center burner and warming drawer is not important.
Must be reliable.

I really don't care for all the lights and gadgets on the control panel. I am a minimalist. My wife on the other hand is impressed with all the bells and whistles. I like a industrial look and she likes the stlye of a bosch or ge cafe.
I am torn between mail order and buying from a local department Store. Buying locally can sometimes be better when a problem occurrs.

So far locally we have looked at GE Profile for $2,200 which had an oven that was slightly deeper then their competitors. The warming drawer and center burner were not important to me but not a deal breaker. . I am very curious of the GE Profile stacks up against the GE Cafe line of ranges. My wife also likes the looks of the Bosch line, however locally, we can only find the 800 series which has absolutely no reviews.

Sorry for the long post and pray that I can get some advice. One thing is a certain, I do not like a small oven like a bertazzoni oven. 4.2 cubit feet would be the very minimum requirement.

Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by bksinaz on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 13:10

Comments (8)

• WisteriaPath
    9 years ago

We're in the same boat; thought our search was over but we were wrong. Good luck to you.

Quote from where i've been posting about our NXR:

"A 36" all-gas stove built to last with little to none electrical extras to screw up with excellent heat range and control on all the burners, easy to clean, and a large sized convection oven at around $3k..... maybe we'll just keep the NXR after all and put up with rust spots. What we want seems impossible; to get the price tag we need it seems cheapo steel is what we're going to get."

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0111540830839.html?120

Here is a link that might be useful: First review soon after opening box

This post was edited by WisteriaPath on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 23:44

• bksinaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WisteriaPath, Keep me informed on what you eventually buy. Just curious, what is your criteria for the new range? I posted mine above, but curious of your requirements. Are you leaning towards anything?
    Thanks.

Tucson AZ has not much but big box stores. Now that you have that stove, does the metal top feel flimsy? Other than the rust, can you give me a small review of the construction... feels strong or flimsy?

This post was edited by bksinaz on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 23:42

• WisteriaPath
    9 years ago

All in all, it seems to be everything i hoped for. The metal under the burners is different from other parts of it. None of it has rust, only the two strips of "moulding" dividing the sections. Both have scratches and rust, one far worse than the other.
    It seems very sturdy; it's heavy as hell and quite lovely. I tapped it all around, and the sides seem slightly less thick than other parts of the stove, but i still wouldn't describe them as flimsy at all. The sides are also magnetic by the way. The face of the stove, its lip which comes up to the cooktop area and the vent part seem to be of the nonmagnetic stainless. Curiously, certain parts of the cooktop are not magnetic either, but they seem to combine with a different kind of metal so that once the bowl part actually under the burners is reached, the magnet does stick there, as it will on the rusty "moulding".

After agonizing over all this for almost 10 hrs straight, searching online and reading reviews, i think i'm pretty much going to stay with NXR. I have yet to test it out, though. Might try hooking it up tomorrow, but i'm tired for now.

This post was edited by WisteriaPath on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 0:17

• WisteriaPath
    9 years ago

Picture with areas of magnetism (potential rust spots?) I'm no expert as far as types of steel go though. But that's my quick review of the NXR. As they say, buying any appliance from any manufacturer these days is a risk. But to get anything done you have to take what you can get.

This post was edited by WisteriaPath on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 0:55

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Bksinaz,

They do not make what you are looking for. the closest thing out there is nothing close to your budget, nor is it a slide in. Personally I would try to opt for a Miele or Thermador or cooktop and a whirlpool convection walloven underneath. Have it framed to fit and you get quality, proformance and close to your budget.

I often sell pro-ranges and see how we think they are built to last for a long time. Their simplicity is appealing and is what we all want. However with questionalable quality control it makes it hard to recommend any one range with out knowing more about your expectations. Given your set criteria you will have to make some concessions somewhere.

Good luck!!

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

The Bosch Benchmark is close, but it is about $300 above your price. Not sure about the convection switch, though. What is your reasoning behind that?

• bksinaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

alerievay, Many bread bakers like a non-convection oven for breads. I know some on this site might disagree, but it is a nice feature to have. Many of the stoves have this feature....

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

I understand that, but you specify a switch. I think every convection oven offers convection and regular modes.