Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Zerowater water filter--any experience?

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

I found this at HD and wrote the company to ask whether the filter gets *fluoride* out, since that is one of our main concerns with our local drinking water (no arguments, please; it's our decision and that's what we're looking for). I got the reply back that it *does* get fluoride out, which makes it unique, in my experience...

Does anyone have any feedback about this system? Or about the probability that the fluoride can indeed be gotten out of the water? Or any info about any other filtering systems that can get the fluoride out? Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: their website

Comments (4)

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    16 years ago

I'm always leery of any product that uses phrases like, "4 times the technology," or "patented process" when they won't tell you anything about that technology. If it is truly patented, there is no reason they can't tell you what it is, unless they are trying to hide something.

I do know that there are three methods to remove fluoride. Reverse osmosis, distillation, or activated alumina. Of those, activated alumina is probably the most effective, but the replacement cartridges are pricey. Also, make sure you purchase a 2-cartridge system. The first cartridge removes fluorine, the second is a carbon filter to remove any activated alumina from your water. RO is less effective on fluorine, but still pretty good, and requires a bit less attention on your partin Distillation is more work for you and takes a long time - not my favorite method to purify water.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alice, thanks so much for the detailed answer. I have *no* knowledge in this area so I really appreciate the background.

This is what they say about the technology (on the "technology" page):

ZeroWater has four technologies designed to remove contaminants from multiple categories.
    These four technologies are utilized in a five stage filtration process.

STAGE 1

* A 20 to 50 micron filter designed to remove suspended solids such as dust and rust that make your water appear cloudy.

STAGE 2

* A two component, dual layer, system designed primarily for organic contaminants.

STAGE 3

* A water distributor screen that also removes suspended solids.

STAGE 4

* Speciality resins designed for inorganic compounds, such as metals and nonmetals, as well as radiological contaminants.

STAGE 5

* A 1 micron filter designed to removed suspended solids.

Would stage 4 relate to the fluoride removal process?

I'll also be looking for an activated alumina system...

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know, reading more about them gives me a bad vibe, just instinctively--the style of marketing, etc. I think I'll avoid them.

• cpovey
    16 years ago

Here is a link to a company I have used many times. They sell nothing but water filtration equipment, but make no 'magical' claims.

Their FC-011 cartridge is a flouride removal cartridge. Note that you will need a least a dual cartridge system for proper filtration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Filtration systems