Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zerowater water filter--any experience?

Posted by flyleft (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 07 at 12:22

I found this at HD and wrote the company to ask whether the filter gets *fluoride* out, since that is one of our main concerns with our local drinking water (no arguments, please; it's our decision and that's what we're looking for). I got the reply back that it *does* get fluoride out, which makes it unique, in my experience...

Does anyone have any feedback about this system? Or about the probability that the fluoride can indeed be gotten out of the water? Or any info about any other filtering systems that can get the fluoride out? Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: their website

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zerowater water filter--any experience?

I'm always leery of any product that uses phrases like, "4 times the technology," or "patented process" when they won't tell you anything about that technology. If it is truly patented, there is no reason they can't tell you what it is, unless they are trying to hide something.

I do know that there are three methods to remove fluoride. Reverse osmosis, distillation, or activated alumina. Of those, activated alumina is probably the most effective, but the replacement cartridges are pricey. Also, make sure you purchase a 2-cartridge system. The first cartridge removes fluorine, the second is a carbon filter to remove any activated alumina from your water. RO is less effective on fluorine, but still pretty good, and requires a bit less attention on your partin Distillation is more work for you and takes a long time - not my favorite method to purify water.

o

alice, thanks so much for the detailed answer. I have *no* knowledge in this area so I really appreciate the background.

This is what they say about the technology (on the "technology" page):

ZeroWater has four technologies designed to remove contaminants from multiple categories.
These four technologies are utilized in a five stage filtration process.

STAGE 1

* A 20 to 50 micron filter designed to remove suspended solids such as dust and rust that make your water appear cloudy.

STAGE 2

* A two component, dual layer, system designed primarily for organic contaminants.

STAGE 3

* A water distributor screen that also removes suspended solids.

STAGE 4

* Speciality resins designed for inorganic compounds, such as metals and nonmetals, as well as radiological contaminants.

STAGE 5

* A 1 micron filter designed to removed suspended solids.

Would stage 4 relate to the fluoride removal process?

I'll also be looking for an activated alumina system...

o
ps RE: Zerowater water filter--any experience?

You know, reading more about them gives me a bad vibe, just instinctively--the style of marketing, etc. I think I'll avoid them.

o

Here is a link to a company I have used many times. They sell nothing but water filtration equipment, but make no 'magical' claims.

Their FC-011 cartridge is a flouride removal cartridge. Note that you will need a least a dual cartridge system for proper filtration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Filtration systems

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here