Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chsigx_gw

1960's Frigidaire Double Wall oven heating problem

chsigx
9 years ago

I'm hoping someone with appliance repair knowledge can point me in the right direction.
I've got an early 1960's Frigidaire Custom Imperial Double wall oven, Model:RBGB-99 CH (estimate 1959-1963).
Recently the top oven stopped heating to proper temps, only the top broiler element is heating up.
So far I've checked the following:
Swapped bake element from top not working oven into bottom working oven, it works fine so I do not think the element is bad.
Checked for voltage at the connection of the element, I get ~120V on the RH side to the middle ground, but the LH side to the middle ground gets 0V.
Checked the voltage at all of the contacts on the thermostat, both with the oven turned on and off to determine inputs vs outputs of the stat.
Compared those same values to the t-stat on the working lower oven, there is no difference, so I think the T-stat is also functioning.
The clock connection appears to be wired before the T-stat so I do not think it is an issue with cook timer failing because the T-stat should not get power if the clock was bad, and both outputs from the t-stat measured ~120V with the oven on, and 0V with it off.

Any ideas what to check next? I am hoping not to replace it, because it is both a cool feature in our kitchen and it is built into our chimney so the cost to modify the opening to accept a new size oven would be very very high. There are no wall ovens on the market that fit our opening.
Thank you in advance if you can help!

Comments (11)

• jakvis
    9 years ago

Some of the older Frigidaire ovens had a double break relay to handle the high amp loads of the elements. Most likely your failure is there.

• chsigx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion jakvis, I will do some searching for break relay information. Being so old there is very little information out there.

I've found the Fridigaire service manual from 1960 for ranges with built in ovens. And while slightly different the wiring diagram has so far matched closely, minus the range top. Just different pinout names on the thermostat.
    There is nothing about a double line break in the wiring diagram, but it may have had a different name back then. Or maybe 1960 was prior to double line breaks.
    It looks like power goes through the "cook master" which is the clock and timer control, then into the thermostat, out to "rotisserie connector" (which I am not sure if my model has that option as i dont see any connector for a rotisserie), and then into the two bake and broil elements. I'll pull it out of the wall tonight to see if there is a rear access panel for the wiring

• relic
    9 years ago

I believe you have a 61-62 model, mine is a 64 and I wouldn't trade it for
    any modern unit.

The relay sounds like it could be the problem, check with the folks at
    automaticwasher.org, they know these old Frigidaire's inside and out.

For parts, try Modern parts in Parma Ohio, also Dave's Repair.

he has tons of old parts from his fathers old shop.

• chsigx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have some good news, it was much simpler than I thought. One of the two wires connecting to the lower element had become brittle at the end and broke off. Scary part is that if it was touching the oven body, one of us could have got a good shock including my 16mo daughter ;(.
    I stripped off about an inch and out on a new connector, did both wires just in case.
    So now my 50 year old oven can live on for another turkey day or two.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've been meaning to sign up for automatic washer.org, as I have an old GE range and whirlpool dishwasher from about the same era. I would love to give them a new home, we have no plans to use them. If anyone is looking for a vintage range or dishwasher, they are free to someone that can remove them and haul them

• boba1
    9 years ago

Yes, your GE cooktop (or an actual range) might be of significant interest. The dishwasher even more so!!! Please join us.

• tedgreen2007
    8 years ago

I have a Frigidaire Imperial double oven. The bottom element on both ovens is not working. Model RBE397U. Does anyone know where I can get a manual and what the problem may be?

• carolinedday
    8 years ago

I have a 1960"s frigidare double wall oven that looks perfect. The bottom works great but the top needs a thermostat which i have two. Does anyone know of someone that would like to buy this oven?

• Greta Threadgill
    7 years ago

I just purchased a house with the Frigidaire Imperial Double Oven and we don't want to get rid of it I need to if anyone know of anyone that can repair this oven. Thanks

• Greta Threadgill
    7 years ago

I also have installed in my Kitchen Island is a Char Glo CG29E Indoor Grill and I would like to have it repaired or where I might purchase a new one and I also need to know about the ventilation. See attached pictures.

• Jennifer Boone
    5 years ago

I have a 1963 delux cookmaster and the broil light comes on but no heat. Could it just be the elements . wherewhere do I find these? Pbg94

• Eric Ryan
    4 years ago

I have a couple they work great and id like to get rid of them