Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vent a hood insert- good choice?

Posted by Momto3kiddos (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 12:08

I am in the process of choosing appliances and the hood insert is one area that I am not feeling very educated about. I looked at several GW threads and didn't see many negatives about this brand. I am interested in having a fairly quiet yet effective hood. It will be used over a36" induction cooktop (most likely Bosch). I was thinking about 300 cfm to avoid needing make-up air. Please share your thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vent a hood insert- good choice?

I spent quite a bit of time in an upscale store looking at ranges and they were very keen on V-A-H (they do sell other brands too). I felt like one of the sales people I had spoken to was a straight shooter and he was steering me toward a more modest model of V-A-H. In another store they were saying VAH is overpriced and were pushing a specific Best model. It definitely was not as quiet, but it was a lot less. Everywhere I have gone I have been told that VAH is great, but that there are others that might be a bit less wonderful but that are much less expensive. How's that for a very unscientific summary?!
Good luck with it.

o
RE: Vent a hood insert- good choice?

I don't think you've read enough threads on VAH. There are plenty of negatives experienced here by many owners. I've seen VAH's clever marketing of the so-called magic lung referred to as "drinking the koolaid." No doubt they excel at getting appliance stores to tout their product.

Personally, after reading about them here for almost three years, I cannot imagine trying to clean one. My hood has three baffle filters. Once a week or so, I pop them out (exceedingly easy) and stick them in the DW. That's it!! No greasy squirrel cage mess to clean or screws needing to be undone by wrenches while standing on a step stool. I'll link a thread below that might help to understand.

Here is a link that might be useful: VAH thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here