Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

36 inch induction cooktop with bridging

crl_
9 years ago

I am at the very beginning stages of investigating a more expansive (in scope, size and budget) kitchen remodel than originally envisioned. If we go with this bigger remodel, I would like to switch to double wall ovens and a cooktop.

I love my current frigidaire induction range. So I know I want an induction cooktop. I think I would like a 36 inch cooktop rather than a 30 inch, though I have never cooked on anything bigger than 30. I doubt I would use the extra burner, per se, as I never have more than three things at a time now (and usually just one or two). But the extra space for handles and such seems like it would be a nice luxury.

The one thing I do wish I could do on my current set up that I can't is cook with a griddle. So I'd like to find a cooktop that allows bridging.

I tried searching a bit on gardenweb and took a quick look at ajmadison. All I came up with for a 36 induction cooktop under 2k that allows bridging is the kitchenaide architect. Am I missing other possibilities? Thoughts on it?

Thanks so much! (And Happy Thanksgiving!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Aj Madison kitchenaide induction cooktop

Comments (13)

• dan1888
    9 years ago

This qualifies for a rebate and maybe pricing can be worked on depending on your project timing

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch Benchmark

• dan1888
    9 years ago

Miele has the KM6367, a 6 burner unit with 3 flex zones.
    It may become available at US retailers, it can be shipped from Europe(you need a note from your insurer) or contact Miele Marine dealers.
    German price without vat is $1840 with the current good exchange rate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele KM 6367-1 German retailer ships

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Like that Miele!
    Wolf is coming out with a 5 way bridge. The 4 smaller burners bridge side to side, front to back, and all 4 at the same time.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I'm looking at April for this remodel, so a bit early to buy (especially as warranties usually run from date of purchase). But on the upside, some time for new stuff to come out maybe? The other feature I think I would like, which the kitchenaid doesn't have, is a child lock. I do have a four year old. She's been taught to stay away from the range, but impulse control obviously isn't 100 percent yet.

I appreciate all the suggestions!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I was just reading my wolf oven manual and says warranty starts with instal so it varies.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a2gemini, good to know. I will keep that in mind once I have plans nailed down.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    9 years ago

Depending on how important pancakes are to you -- I would just get a $30 electric countertop griddle.

They work so much better than then the ones that span burners.

No two burners on any stove work the same so with stovetop griddles you end up having to move food around a lot to cook evenly.

• lepages
    9 years ago

JennAire also makes a 36" with bridge element. I've had this one for about a year now and love the unit.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

There is a Kitchenaid that has 2 bridge elements and 1 large element in the middle.

It has some positives and a few negatives, as you'll see in the reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid Architect 36

• woodysapsucker
    9 years ago

I also have the Jenn-Air 36" cook-top with two "bridge" elements. I love the induction but am totally unhappy with the supposedly bridge elements. The space between the burners does not heat up as in non-induction bridge elements. When you turn on the "bridge" element all it does is control the two burners at the same time. So my griddle has two hot spots - the pancakes cook poorly in the other non-heated areas. We'll probably opt for an electric countertop griddle as stir_fryi suggests.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The space between the burners does not heat up as in non-induction bridge elements.

Does anyone know if this function works differently on other brands that claim a "bridging" function?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I think that is typical.
    Wolf told me that I could bridge my current Wolf but would have the same issue. If you plan to bridge, I would recommend a clad pan as a combination of steel and aluminum will spread the heat better.

I have an All Clad square griddle. It extends over the edge at the corners but if I warm it up, the heat expands to the corners and the pancakes are evenly browned. If I start to soon, the corners are lighter.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz