Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Average lifespan of a Kenmore refrigerator?

artemis78
13 years ago

We're debating whether to replace our current refrigerator as part of a remodel, and I wondered if anyone could weigh in on how many years they've gotten out of their Kenmore top freezers. Ours still works fine, though it will be 15 in the spring. However, it would be far simpler to just replace it with the rest of the appliances if we anticipate it dying anytime in the next couple of years (single flat delivery rate, floors already covered, trim is off the narrow doorway, etc.) and it's in the budget to do it if we want to. Our cabinetry is designed for a larger fridge so it will accommodate our old one with no troubles, although our kitchen is now designed for a counter-depth fridge and the old one is 32" deep with handle (which still seems like it's not so bad---only 4" deeper than the one we'd planned to buy!)

Pros to keeping it are that the new appliance standards kick in for 2014, so if we can hold out for a few more years, there might be some new models to choose from. And, of course, it would defer the cost for a few more years and keep this guy out of the landfill a little longer. While this fridge isn't exactly energy efficient, it's not terrible---was one of the top energy-rated models in '96 apparently. Biggest con is living with a fridge that sticks out into the walkway for a few more years, and having to replace it in just a year or two if it breaks would be frustrating.

Are we realistically likely to get at least 3-4 more years out of a '96 Kenmore, or is it close enough to the end of its natural life that we may as well replace it now while we're in appliance-shopping mode? Would love any thoughts---thanks!

Comments (46)

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

Given the rocky road between now and 2014 you might be wise to choose the sooner the better. As to "new standards" that could be code for smaller appliances, greater expense, combined with more highly stressed designs meant to operate over a shorter life cycle.

• covingtoncat
    13 years ago

I would give serious consideration to replacing it now, or relegating it to garage or basement for backup. My reasons being: 15 is a pretty good run for a fridge, and if you get it now you won't have to worry about finding one to "fit your space." You can design to fit around what YOU want. Also, new models now have many enhanced features and better energy efficiency.

My current Kemore (SXS) is 13 years old and still going strong. Would love to replace it, but am holding on to it for now due to expense of replacement.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Mine is from '92. I think it was built by GE since I remember looking at similar GE models at the time and bought the KM for some additional features (shelves and such). The one it replaced (from the late 70's) was given to a friend who kept it for another 10+years as a beer fridge (freezer wasn't cold enough).

If it is working well, don't send it to the landfill. Sell it, or keep it as a spare. It would make a great beer fridge for someone, and/or an overflow freezer/fridge.

PS: our landfill does appliance recycling.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks---Google to the rescue. This is apparently a Whirlpool model with a 106 prefix. Not sure if that helps much, though...

Oh, and our utility company does appliance recycling too, which is what would actually happen to it---they actually pay you for them, provided they're still working.

• nerdyshopper
    13 years ago

I think the question should be "do we really want a newer fridge?" When I sold my home in 2003, I gave my 1948 Coldspot (the original Sears brand) to Goodwill. It was still functioning just as well as the day i bought it for my dad. It had lost the vegetable drawer though.

• AndyMiles
    10 years ago

Mine last for around 8 years. Talking to my friends and colleges at work the average is between 5-01 years depends on the brand and maintenance. Moving from one apartment can shorten the refrigerator lifespan.

Here is a link that might be useful: refrigerator lifespan

• Nunyabiz1
    10 years ago

Kenmore which is usually "Whirlpool", our last one we sold for $350 after having it for 19 years without a single problem with it. Just needed counter depth and stainless otherwise we would still have it today.
    Hard to say what a "new" one would last as it appears all manufacturers have lost all desire to produce a solid quality product anymore.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Kenmore isn't necessarily "usually" Whirlpool any more.

Anything nowadays -- Frigidaire, Samsung, LG, GE, Bosch -- may be under the label.

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

Design cycles are shorter now partly at the behest of ever tightening green nonsense regulations. 7.5 years to 10 years from now should see the vast majority of mass produced large appliances purchased this year expire and head to the recyclers.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

My top freezer fridge from Sears is almost 25 years old. I'm not planning to replace it during our upcoming remodel - I don't expect it to last forever, so I'll just keep it until it dies. Same with our range.

And I agree with laat2 - appliances don't last as long as they used to (sickening, if you ask me - we should be able to make things better, not worse, especially for the price). So the longer I can put off an appliance purchase, the better chance it will last as long as we plan to stay in this house (10 to 15 years).

• artemis78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Huh, no idea why this old thread suddenly came back to life--but FWIW, the fridge in question is still going strong three years later! (And it is, in fact, a Whirlpool.) We decided to keep it through our remodel but build cabinetry to accommodate a new standard counter-depth--it turned out that once it was out of its 1930s-era enclosure, it functioned perfectly. The enclosure had not been level (or maybe the house had just settled since it was built; who knows). At any rate, on a new level floor, the fridge is chugging along happily. The freezer light wiring did suddenly stop working last month so we are keeping an eye on the rest of it and do plan to replace it sometime in the next few years, but for now it is serving us well.

• Sheila Marian
    5 years ago

I sure hope that times have changed. It's 2019. Did people not realize that a fridge made from 1990-2000 uses 2 times as much electric energy as one made in 2019 which means it cost twice as much to operate. A fridge or freeze that is 40 years old is costing a fortune. Do you really want to do that to yourself and the environment?!!

• artemis78
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ha, I'm actually the OP and we *still* have this refrigerator! We do have one picked out to replace it and are waiting (anxiously...) for it to die, but the biggest reason we haven't replaced it yet is that we were surprised to find that it only uses slightly more energy annually (at least, per our Kill-A-Watt tester) than the new one will. (It is, to be fair, smaller than the new one, so the new one is more efficient per cubic foot, but the difference isn't enough to justify replacing it for energy use alone.)

So for those following along at home, you can apparently get at least 23 years (and counting) out of some Kenmore refrigerators! :)

• Sheila Marian
    4 years ago

Hi,

That's interesting. Where can I find the KWH on an old fridge?

• artemis78
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We measured ours with a Kill-a-Watt device (energy reader that you plug in between appliance and the wall). For a time (back when I first posted this) there was also a site where you could look up the original energy ratings by model, but I wouldn't rely on that being accurate for a 20+-year-old model. (I think ours was actually somewhat better, oddly, but guessing that's because it was sold with an icemaker that was included in that rating, but that we have never used since it's not plumbed for that. Most go in the other direction as they age.)

• Sally Matthews
    4 years ago

We bought Kenmore Elite series: Refrigerator, wall oven, electric glass cooktop, dishwasher and microwave. Within 3 years the French door refrigerator stopped dispensing ice and the dishwasher does not drain on the final rinse. We have to manually dump the ice into a bag so we can have ice, and press the manual drain button after we unload the clean dishes from the dishwasher. I paid on sale $1100 for the refrigerator and was quoted $728 to replace the door that houses the ice maker! Outrageous. It is now 7 years old and we never got it fixed. Looks like we will have to buy a new one if we sell the house.. Wish we knew the Elite series had bad reviews before we bought the appliances .

• Steve Heglmeier
    4 years ago

Does the Kill-a-watt measure a days usage so you have an accurate comparison? Or just what it's using when you plug it in?

I have a 2005 Kenmore Elite Trio model 596.76539500 I'm trying to discover the energy usage, but energy use sticker info is no longer available. And in the "calculate your energy usage" site it says knowing how much a unit is rated at is not accurate as it depends on how often the compressor runs. It says most units after 2003 year models average 80%. I certainly don't think mine even runs 80% as I don't have kids at home, so the door stays closed except for maybe half a dozen times a day or less. Using the energy star sticker in my calculations is questionable, as we all know the government came up with the MPG displayed on a invoice sticker on a vehicle, and I've never gotten even close to that number. So if my calculations are correct, and the ES sticker correct. current expense is $92 a year, new one is $76 annually on the energy star sticker, so the new fridge could save me $16 a year, for a pay off in a little over 74 years. I don't believe that either I or the new fridge will live that long.

So the only thing I have to justify replacing it is I'd like to switch to all stainless appliances. And I guess the sale is listed at 40% off, and at almost 15 years old, conventional wisdom says it could fail soon. But even with this thread being 9 years old, it helped me to see that, my current fridge could make it another 10 years. And even some of my stainless appliances have black accents, so it's not like an awful green fridge, that would be a no brainer.

Thanks y'all.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

Plug the appliance into the Kill-A-Watt. Plug the Kill-a-Watt into the wall outlet. Turn the appliance on (if necessary) and the Kill-a-Watt begins measuring the electrical consumption from that moment for as long as you want to proceed. The accumulated data clears when the Kill-a-Watt is disconnected from the wall outlet (but not if the appliance is unplugged from the Kill-a-Watt).

I'd let a refrigerator go on it for at least a couple days to insure at least one defrost cycle is included. Divide the accumulated kW (or kWh) by the number of days to get the average daily usage. Longer duration ... a week or even a month ... gives a more accurate daily average for operational variations over time.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think when we measured ours, we kept it plugged in for a week (maybe not quite that long, but a while) to average it. But that was 9 years ago (!) and we still haven't gotten to replacing it (and it still hasn't died!) so I imagine it's less efficient than it used to be. At this point it's on the "to do" list and we'll just replace it when we get to it on the project list, or when it dies, whichever comes first.

• HU-13481139
    3 years ago

We have had our Kenmore side by side refrigerator for over 30 years and the only thing that doesn't work is the ice maker! That would work if we changed out something on the back each year but my husband said we can use ice trays! Lol! We purchased this at Sears and have been so blessed that it still works. If they still made Kenmore's we would buy another one!

• HU-13481139
    3 years ago

My side by side Kenmore model #27 Freezer, Refrigerator is over 30 years old. It has been outstanding and we love it!!!! We bought it at Sears many years ago! The ice maker is the only thing that we don't use because there's something on the back that we have to replace each year and my husband said we could just pull ice trays for ice! It is an Almond color which I like better than the black and stainless steel colors. They probably don't make this model anymore!

• Architectural Notice
    3 years ago

I have a 10-1/2 year old Kenmore top freezer refrigerator that is still going strong. No repairs or problems in that entire time. It's been a good refrigerator, maybe not up to the standards of the Subzero and other high end appliance lines but nonetheless it has served us well.

I just replaced my Kenmore dishwasher with another brand and have ordered a new gas range and microwave to replace the Kenmore items. I was looking for a new refrigerator earlier this year but decided to keep the current refrigerator for the time being.

We don't need/use refrigerator ice/water and it is difficult to find a refrigerator without them, either exterior or interior. Also, we have space constraints.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

As noted above, Sears/Kenmore is not a manufacturer. Products are sourced from the various manufacturers of other brands and labeled as Kenmore. The first three digits of Kenmore model numbers (syntax of xxx.xxxxxxxxx) is a code for the source manufacturer.

@HU-13481139, #27 is not a valid model number. The correct model number is on a tag affixed to the appliance. Check what is that and cite it here if you want to know what company manufactured it (and include the serial number for the date of manufacture).

• Sugarmonkeys
    3 years ago

I have had my Kenmore refrigerator since 1985 and it works better than some of the newer models. I have never had a problem with it. It is our second refrigerator that is now located in the garage but we use it for storing beer, pop and other perishables

• HU-466638391
    3 years ago

My kenmore fridge is 26 yrs old and has had no problems. I have a 1960s coldspot upright freezer in a shed thats still works perfectly. Its 100+ in there in the summer and freezing in winter. My wirlpool washing machine is 32 yrs old with no problems and my 1980;s toaster still makes perfect toast. Older stuff was made to last. Today its made to break. If my appliances quit, I will look for a good older used one because someone wants to change colors lol...

• HU-466638391
    3 years ago

I think all this power saving is a farce and idiocy. If they left the first lightbulb alone we would still be using the same one. If they didnt change what already proved dependable we wouldnt be spending money on junk. Unfortunatly its all about money...and I left that game...

• Susan Waas
    3 years ago

My Kenmore Elite was purchased in2018. I just found out its an LG- It lasted two and one half years. Warranty is for two years, except ompressor which is good for five years. However labor is not covered. I was just told the labor is $700.00. I loved the design of this door in door and side by side counter depth. I decided not to have it fixed because it would be replaced with the same faulty part AND then that warranty would only be for the two and one half years remaining onthe warranty for the compressor. Expensive refrigerator for the price. My fix-it-guy says this is a common defect on these Kenmore/LG refrigerators. Beautiful refrigerator but a piece of crap.

Don't buy.

• John Hostutler
    3 years ago

I have been using a Kenmore refrigerator for the 25 years i've been living here. I was here before I moved in.

I think it's time to get a new one.

I know people that had many problems with L G. Stove oven in

Particular. I'm reading your posts.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

There's no need to get a new refrigerator until the existing unit fails in a way that's unrepairable.

• Erin Cunningham
    3 years ago

Curious for an update from the original poster. Just read through this entire chain and its so cool that this threads been kept alive for 10 years!

• artemis78
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Still here (well, more like back, now that we are working on a new project) and still have this refrigerator! We're moving pretty actively towards replacing it when we do some work on our house later this year, though, so its days are limited. It still seems to be chugging along (though it has been many years since we last plugged in the Kill-A-Watt so I have no idea how efficient it is at this stage--I assume considerably less than it was 10 years ago). Still, we're glad that we hung onto it and kept it out of the landfill for an extra decade. We will also see if anyone local wants it when we do finally replace it, though the headache of moving it may be a little much for a 25-year-old model.

• kc270
    3 years ago

That is an impressive run for a refrigerator. We have a Kenmore (Whirlpool) refrigerator purchased new in July 1996 that is still working for us. A couple of websites list the average lifespan of a refrigerator as 12 to 14 years, so we are well into "bonus" years. There is the consideration of greater energy consumption of an older unit vs a new one, so we may have paid for those bonus years with higher energy useage.

• cjbroadtayl
    2 years ago

This is too funny! Reading your post Artemis from 10 years ago and finding people still posting today! This model fridge is obviously a tough old bird! We have been contemplating replacing our almost 30 yr old Kenmore 106, but it still works perfectly! We didn’t go for the icemaker in 92 when we bought it because all we ever heard were problems with every icemaker in every fridge and it still seems to be that way! Today, when visiting family or friends, their fridge with water and ice maker, either both or one or the other does not work. Our holdout for replacement is that most, if not all ,refrigerators with bottom freezer (which is what we’re looking for) are too tall for the space we have, would require some remodeling, so we may have to move :)!

If someone can recommend a great bottom drawer freezer or even side by side that is absolutely not a centimeter taller than 66"h x33w x32"d w/handle without water or ice on the door please let me know :)!

And if you ask why bottom freezer or side by side, after 30 years we just want to try something new! Thanks to all of those following this thread :)!

• artemis78
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cjbroadtayl, I will say that the reason our kitchen "update" somehow spiraled into a gut remodel was our 1940s-era fridge enclosure, which hemmed in the refrigerator to a size we couldn't find anywhere. (So it is rather ironic that the fridge is the one appliance we haven't yet replaced...!) The closest we found is the Fisher & Paykel ActiveSmart bottom freezer, which is 67" (but otherwise meets your criteria). If there's any way to eke out that last inch--before we finally gave up, we had been exploring things like taking out the flooring under the refrigerator to have it rest on subfloor, modifying the cabinet above, etc.--that might get close. Liebherr also makes (or used to make?) one that is a smidge taller too, but only 30" wide so much smaller capacity. In the end we gave up and redid all our cabinetry to fit a new fridge (that we are buying a ridiculous 11 years later!) We did design the new fridge cabinet with an adjustable top shelf to accommodate a range of heights to hopefully prevent the problem in the future (although now that we're getting ready to replace it, I realized we've been putting our stepladder in the 3" gap for the last decade and did not design anywhere else in the kitchen for that to fit once the new fridge takes the full cabinet width...oops!)

• cjbroadtayl
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Good for you taking the plunge! So now where to put that stepladder :)!

Thanks for the Fisher & Paykel tip, I think we will wind up just taking out the cabinet above the fridge (if we ever do get rid of this one!) as it will open the doors to a lot more choices!

Your old fridge going to a new home in your, or someones garage? it was mentioned makes a good beer fridge :)! Thanks again! and look for a follow-up post in 10 years :)

• debbesummer77
    2 years ago

Just painted my 1985 kenmore side by side— it has had one repair years ago on freezer.It is in garage now but better than my 3year old French door house fridge that has had two repairs. I don’t know the wattage I use but my last electric bill was $70 so I can’t complain. Painted it with small roller and metal paint.

• Kathleen M
    2 years ago

I have a 21 yo Kenmore and was planning to replace it. I'm unhappy with the options available; fridges under 2k have inner parts that feel cheap and seem to be ill-fitting. This thread has helped me decide to keep the Kenmore for now; I prefer an old fridge that works to purchasing a new one that might go on the fritz in a year or two. I hope to be able to post in another 10 years that it's still going strong!

• HU-646507775
    2 years ago

My Kenmore top freezer died yesterday. I got it when I bought this condo...almost 21 years ago. It's always worked perfectly. I kept it clean but I never once defrosted. I never saw any ice. Was I suppose to?

Anyway just did a small remodel but a new refrigerator was not in MY budget.

That's my story. Always nice to upgrade if you can. Good luck!

• HU-723721546
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have found, real world experience, that in many cases older appliances are just better made and last way beyond. Think of all the latest greatest E- stuff we somehow all of a sudden don't seem to be able to live without; it just adds more layers of parts to malfunction and go haywire.

I submit to you my ~mid 80's era Maytag dryer.

Stopped heating, had to replace thermostat.

Did some due diligence online research and once I figured out the little details on how and what I was absolutely amazed at the simplicity and overall quality of design and manufacturing.

Took about 30 minutes start to finish, $35 part, and voila. All done.

If parts remain available this dryer will run literally forever at very little repair/ maint. cost.

Curren

t appliances with all their additions of whistles and bells and E-tronics (vs solid state) that create an Achilles heel - they are designed to fail, NOT to be repaired. This would be acceptable, somewhat.....if only they are cheap. But they are NOT.

Like...$1500 for a new fridge not cheap....Ermagawd....you have to be kidding me!

Relevance to this thread?

I own a 1991 Kenmore Sears GE made in USA fridge.

Always cold.

Never fails.

And just overall awesome (has the front 'convenience entrance-door or whateveryacallit - its just awesome and why i got it. Best feature EVER!.

Sure its getting a bit long in the tooth, but as this one found its spot as 'backup' I've purchased and replaced 2 other newer fridges alongside it, both more fancy.

So yeah...back up already....

From here on if it breaks it gets replaced with the absolute most basic least parts to malfunction cheapest model.

Just sayin.

• Christina Perez
    last year

This is a great thread, and I love that it's been going for 10 years! I am looking to buy a Kenmore Coldspot 106 from a couple who is changing their appliance color from black to stainless steel. My best guess based on my research is that the refrigerator is 17 years old. They are only asking $75 for it. Given everything I've read about how these appliances are built to last, I think it's worth the $75 to purchase it. You all really helped me out in this thread. Thank YOU from the bottom of my heart!!!

• dadoes
    last year

Christina Perez,

Serial numbers are coded for the factory production date, year and usually month or week. Cite both the model (106 is not a full valid model number) and serial here for decoding ... or check it yourself at Appliance411. Manufacturers typically code serial numbers on a repeating cycle, 10 years, 12 years, 20 years, etc. so the general age of the appliance may need to be known to pinpoint which year is correct for the manufacture date.

• Christina Perez
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks. We're on the same page, as that's exactly what I did. I had already found that website; I entered both the model and serial number on that site, and it showed me this.

• dadoes
    last year
    last modified: last year

Excellent. Just to say, if you aren't aware, the leading three digits on Kenmore appliance model numbers is a code for the source manufacturer. 106 for refrigerators is Whirlpool.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    last year

Just thought I would close this thread out for good measure…we finally replaced this refrigerator in March 2023 after the freezer gasket started to fail. It was still going strong mechanically till the end (and honestly probably could have been repaired, but we decided it was likely the first of many similar repairs as the parts aged, so went ahead and replaced it.) So this Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) lived to the ripe old age of 27! Very glad we hung onto it all those years ago. Next up: replacing the 68-year-old range…

• HU-261886206
    11 months ago

We've acquired our Kenmore upright freezer, electric range, refrigerator, washer and dryer from our parents who purchased all of them over 35 years ago (without needed repairs thus far. Hope this comment won't cause them to break down now) . Sears did annual maintenance on them before the terms of the insurance ended which was about 5 years after purchase. All of these appliances are still working fine. I don't know if we were lucky or if it is just the quality of these products back then with good care taken or a combination of any or all. We remodel our kitchen as well, but decided to keep the appliances and ride it out. Either way I wish you well and you enjoy your new kitchen.