Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

Wine fridge recommendation, dual zone

ssdarb
9 years ago

I need a recommendation for a dual-zone wine refridgerator that will be incorporated into a cabinet/bar that my cabinet maker is going to build me.

It should accomodate 24 - 32 bottles. Probably don't need any more room than that. Can you please recommend a brand and perhaps any important factors I should take into consideration.

It will be built-in, so it should not be one that is supposed to exclusively be free-standing.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I have the Uline WC1175 and I really like it. I bought very high end appliances and cabinets for my kitchen (SubZero, Miele, Blue Star, Rutt) but the wine cooler is one place where I did not think it was necessary to spend piles of money and I was right. It cost about 1300, IIRC. The fridge holds around 35 to 40 bottles. Reds go on top, whites below. Door has integrated handle so it doesn't stick out (that's how I came upon this model--the only other one with an integrated handle is the Miele at more than twice the price). The unit is quiet. There is a nice display light although I rarely use it. The wood shelf fronts can be painted to match your wood if you want.

I think this is a great unit. Perlick is another great brand. You can also look at the Perlick factory seconds site. You might find something that works at a big discount.

• CaptainCheese
    9 years ago

If you go to the cellartracker or wine berserker forums, they are very high on the Eurocave. I initially bought a Eurocave, but the first one they sent out was damaged and returned by the shipper. They sent a replacement that also arrived damaged (it looked like the shipper dropped it on the corner of something and it had a hole poked through the side). Because two damaged units were sent to us, we canceled the order. Also, the cabinet maker was scheduled to complete the install the following week and there wasn't time to wait for another unit to be shipped. Despite the problems with the two damaged units being sent, Wine Enthusiasts customer service was pretty good; although, it took them 3 weeks and multiple phone calls to process the cancellation and return the money to my credit cart. They were however, very friendly, apologetic, and accommodating every time I called.

The benefits of the Eurocave seemed like they would be low vibration (vibrations can harm wine), humidity control, 3 sided cooling (more uniform), quiet. I don't know if these claims are true in such a small unit.

We instead went with a sub-zero that the local Pacific Sales could ship to us the next day. My wife is happier with the sub-zero because she was able to get the cabinet maker to make a custom cabinet face for the unit so the wine cabinet looks very nice. The subzero seems to be a good unit and does most of the things the Eurocave does. For example, the subzero has two evaporators to control the humidity in each zone. It doesn't however have the display that tells me what the humidity is.

That said, for an undercounter unit, a Eurocave or a Subzero is probably overkill. You most likely don't get the real benefits of these units until you get to their larger units. I have heard good things about the u-line, so that one is definitely worth looking at.