Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hood Insert vs. Hood w/ Liner?? Pls help, need to decide

Posted by arich69 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 11:24

I have been reading the forum to get as up-to-speed as possible but so far I haven't seen a discussion on the pros & cons of going with a larger hood insert vs a smaller hood insert with the addition of a larger liner.

My appliance rep is recommending the following at my request because the 36 1/2" wide hood insert - 1100 CFMs is $1025 (which almost costs as much as my Thermador 36" cooktop). I asked for a more economical alternative and this is it:

P195P1M70SB � Best by Broan 28 �" Wide Hood Insert � 600 CFM�s � 8" Round Duct
w/
L7036 � Best by Broan 36" Wide Hood Insert w/ an Adjustable Depth of 17 �" � 20 �" D
My question is, is the hood and liner combo an acceptable alternative or in the land of good/better/best venting, is this really a sub-par solution. I think I'm ok with good/better solution.

Also, besides Best by Broan are there other good 36" hood inserts I should look, or more accurately ask the rep to price, at that don't top the $1000 mark?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hood Insert vs. Hood w/ Liner?? Pls help, need to decide

As a point of clarification, hoods in general can be separated into two types: (a) self contained having an outside providing some level of acceptable appearance and an inside that contains filters or baffles, possibly a blower or fan; and (b) a liner or insert that is to be put into a hood supplied by someone else and generally made of wood to look like a cabinet; the liner/insert containing hood guts such as filters, blowers, etc.

There is no performance difference between a liner having aperture area A and CFM B and a complete hood having aperture area A and CFM B, all else being equal. Liners vs. hoods is an aesthetic consideration.

As for what the properties of a good liner or hood should be, you can read the material at my My Clippings for source material, and rummage through this forum reading hood and MUA posts until the basic concepts are clear.

I'm not going to rate prices or devices I don't own.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here