Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy11354

storing brand new appliances in garage with sub zero temperature

kathy11354
9 years ago

We will not be able to moving into our new place for few more months.

But seeing lots of great deals on appliances for Black Friday discount, thinking about buying them (refrigerator, washer, dryer, dish washer and range) now but stored them in the garage for few months until new place is ready.

Would love to get feedbacks to see if there will be potential problems in storing brand new appliances in the garage with temperature likely goes below freezing.

Maybe manufacturer tested the appliance, ie dish washer, and water that remains in the tube/pipe inside may burst upon freezing.

Comments (10)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Yes DWs and washers do ship with water. You also need to worry about the seasonal invasion of mice chewing their way into the packing and wires.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

If the deals are that fantastic, consider renting a climate controlled storage unit.

• sahmmy_gw
    9 years ago

The more important issue is how many months of warranty will you lose by purchasing early. The warranty begins when your appliances are delivered. As your appliances are sitting in your garage "for a few months", you will lose "a few months" of warranty. If you need a repair 6 months after installation (most problems arise in first year of ownership), and your warranty has expired cause you used up the first 6 months of your warranty during storage, your repair will likely cost you more than any Black Friday savings.

People are so sucked in by Black Friday, I don't get it. There will always be another sale. I have not seen that Black Friday sales are any better than Christmas sales, post-Christmas sales, Presidents Day Sales, Spring Sales, 4th of July Sales, and all the other sales that are offered throughout the year. In fact, I suspect that the frantic nature of Black Friday means people hurriedly buy under pressure, and are not getting the best appliance or the best price on that day.

• Hannah Baer
    last year

I have the same question except it’s nothing to do with Black Friday deals. Our kitchen is being remodeled and our appliances have been delivered but the kitchen isn’t quite ready for install. There’s nowhere to put them other than outside on the back porch for now. We’ve got them pushed close to the house, they’re still in the boxes they shipped in and they’re covered with blankets.

• sushipup2
    last year

Most good retailers (don't know about big box stores) will sell the appliances to you, store them until you call for delivery. In our case, it was 3 months.

• sushipup2
    last year

Oh, and warranty started with delivery

• Hannah Baer
    last year

Our appliances are already here, so not helpful in this instance. We thought we would just have them outside for a night or two when the weather was mild. Unfortunately, remodeling an older home doesn’t always go according to plan. Also, the local appliances retailers typically charge a storage fee if they’re not able to deliver within 30 days of the original delivery date.

• mike brantley
    9 months ago

Use PINK RV ANTIFREEZE,,,
    I live where temps get dow around 0°f and hahave Stored used washers in my unheated shed for several winters.

I bought a Manual hand Pump for a Gear Oil bottle at walmart for about $6 (found in automotive) similar to a Lotion hand Pump.

This Pump allows you to install on a bottle of Gear oil to manually add oil to an rear differential (axle housing)or even A Lower unit on a boat motor.

I adapted this pump to a spare hot/cold hose for the back of the Washer,, purchased a Gallon of Pink RV ANTIFREEZE and used the pump to fill the plumbing in the Washer,,but its better to still have the A/C power still plugged in to the washer to be able turn the washers cycle ON,, and I pumped about a quart thru the cold side then a quarts worth thru the HOT side...poured the other 1/2 gallon inside the tub and ran a spin cycle.

This has allowed me to winterize the washers plumbing, the water pump and such.

Total costs are less tha. $1 pump and Pink RV ANTIFREEZ E.

Hope that helps,

Drjekle

• mike brantley
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Correction:

Cost were less than $Ten dollars