Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liesl13

Advice needed on cooktop and oven beneath

Leslie M
11 years ago

Hi,
I have a 16 year old maytag black glass gas cooktop and electric convection wall oven beneath. The wall oven electronic control panel is shot and if it is available, will cost at least $350 to fix. Doesn't seem worth it, since it is so old. In the next couple of years I had planned to replace them, redo the laminate counters and sink and kitchen floor, but our daughter got married this year, so....

I was thinking of replacing these with a slide-in but we are tall and our countertop is higher than normal. Because they have to be compatible, I think I'll have to replace both oven and countertop. I looked yesterday and Jenn-Air has some, although they don't go with my microwave and dishwasher (Frigidaire and GE, respectively, much newer than 15 years) and would run about $3300, more than I really want to spend. The cutout for my cooktop can probably be enlarged--most cooktops now seem to be bigger. My oven is probably as large as it can get. My cherry cabinets were made locally, so I can probably get pieces made to make the oven opening smaller if need be.

So, should I try to use Frigidaire, in black, so all the brands are the same? Does that matter? I feel constrained to use black, but maybe I could use a combination of stainless and black? I don't want to spend for the top of the line, but would like a well functioning and nice looking line.

All this, just in time for Christmas! I don't have a contractor yet, either. Any suggestions would be very welcome,
thanks.

Comments (4)

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

liesl13: "Because they have to be compatible, I think i'll have to replace both oven and countertop. ... So, should I try to use Frigidaire, in black, so all the brands are the same?"

It depends upon what flavor of "compatible" drives the imperative. Do you want the knobs to share design elements? Then you may need to match brands. But compatibility between cooktops and ovens from a function standpoint is pretty much determined by physical dimensions and required clearances. One doubts that there is anything about any Frigidaire brand oven (made by Electrolux) that would make it any more functionally compatible with your Frigidaire brand black glass gas cooktop than an undercounter-mounted oven of another brand.

Bottom line: if you are happy with your current cooktop and find a wall oven of another brand that suits your fancy, get out your tape measure, and see if the other brand will fit.

• Leslie M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. In terms of compatibility, I was thinking of the clearance required between the cooktop and the oven--if I remember right, that was an issue 15 years ago. Maybe that's not a problem. I wouldn't mind replacing the cooktop, as it is getting pretty old. As far as design, my microwave has a distinctive curved handle which the frigidaire line would match, although Kitchen Aid has a similar one on its oven. I guess I could just deal with the oven for now and do all the rest (counters, sink, floor) later, I was just afraid that at that point I might not be able to get a good match.

• anne7
    11 years ago

I replaced a cracked GE glass/propane cooktoop with a Dacor 5 burner.
    Both "fit" over existing JennAir 30" oven, same cutout.
    However, the cooktop igniter goes off continuously if I use the front burners and oven at the same time. Back burners no problem. Everything "fits", but this is far from ideal. Not sure what I should have done. Good luck!

• sophie123
    11 years ago

I had similar situation. I tried a new thermador over my existing dacor oven and wouldn't fit. Your best bet is to buy same manufacturer of cooktop and oven. You have to look at installation manual and see if it they explicitly say it will work and they will support it. I found my old dacor cooktop and oven manuals and it said so. A very good dealer should be able to help you (mine had to take back the cooktop and refund me the money).