Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robilium

Feedback on Viking Combi Steam oven?

robilium
11 years ago

Hi everyone. I can't seem to find reviews or feedback anywhere on Vikings new combi steam oven. It says it does steam, convect, oven, and microwave. We will either get this plus a trim kit and a Viking single wall oven or a monogram advantium and a monogram single oven.

Anyone ever use one of these combi ovens

http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/product/products/cooking/ovens/professional-series-ovens/specialty-ovens/combi-steam-convect-trade--oven---vcso

Comments (7)

• laurajazz
    11 years ago

I bet sharp makes the Viking -- take a look at this feature comparison fom aj Madison -- http://www.ajmadison.com/product/compare/?skus[]=VCSO210SS&skus[]=AX1200

I wish for a micro / convection / steam oven in a drawer. Doesn't exist yet.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Just called to one of the local showrooms to inquire about it. Salesman didn't even know it existed, said it's not in his price book yet, and said it's a specialty item so he won't get one on the sales floor. Must be brand spanking new?

Looks like a good alternative to a steam oven. Beautiful appliance, too.

Please post if you get any additional info!

• barryv_gw
    11 years ago

Madeline, if you can work with a 240 volt version, you might want to check around it see if you can find the discontinued version - some places were selling at half off - which is around $1,600

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Thanks, Barry. I'm already wired for the 240 volts, so I'll look into it. I wonder why they discontinued the 240 volt version...? People seem to be really happy with it.

Also spoke to Wolf showroom salesman. Going in for a little demo on the Wolf steam convection oven in next couple weeks :)

Tks again

Madeline :)

• pookee
    11 years ago

My best friend bought this in Dec 2012, and had a lot of problems with it: uneven convection cooking, descaling issues, trays tipping if you pull them out 30% (the trays are floating, as opposed to "on glides"), and paint issues inside the oven. I don't know much more on this as I have a Miele, but I hope this helps! 8)

• ddabney69
    8 years ago

I just got one of these, and it's a major disappointment.

My first steam oven was made by V-Zug, a Swiss brand not available in the U.S.. I liked it so much that I got a countertop Miele model to go with it--sometimes it's nice to have more than one steam oven. When I moved back to the States, I got the ne plus ultra Gaggenau steam oven.

The Gaggenau has been wonderful, but its not working just now, and it's taking forever to get it fixed--I live more than an hour's drive from the nearest Gaggenau service center. So I thought I'd get the Viking to use in the meantime, with the idea that later I'd have a second steam oven, and also (for the first time in years) a microwave. I don't miss much about microwave cooking, but I do miss popcorn.

The Viking just isn't a real steam oven in the same sense as my Gaggenau, or any of the others I've used. For example, the "steam" function is limited to 35 minutes, apparently because its itty-bitty water tank won't hold enough water to steam for longer. But it takes 45 minutes to steam rice. Just now I ran it for 25 minutes, refilled the tank and emptied the drip tray, and then steamed for another 20 minutes. The rice still wasn't quite done. The machine does have an automatic "rice" setting, but apparently that uses the microwave feature, and I'm simply not ready to put up with microwaved rice.

The Viking did make me some nice popcorn, and I suppose if you aren't used to something better the steam oven functions might be pretty appealing. But I'd advise a friend to suck up the extra cost and get a real steam oven. The new plumbed Mieles look good.