Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcbrph

smeg gas range

kcbrph
12 years ago

smeg recently dropped the price on the opera model from ~3400 to 2000. Anyone with a Smeg product? Recommend? I am trying to save money and this seems like a great way if the product is reliable.

Comments (15)

• guadalupe
    12 years ago

Smeg is in fact a Bertazoni product

• kcbrph
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes and I like Bertazoni's so I may do it...the price is hard to resist!

• mojavean
    12 years ago

It is just such an unfortunate name in English. Smeg Opera sounds like the music they play in the lobby down at the free clinic.

For an Italian range, one would think they would take some time to come up with a suitably exotic name, something that ends in "ino" or "elli" or "gio."

Still, it looks much like a Fratelli Onofri and for 2 grand even, it is probably worth a serious look, especially if you can find a color you like. If you get it, please let us know how you like it!

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

Bumping as I am seriously tempted by this glossy red wine beauty. I have never heard of them before, and am not finding much info. They really should have stuck the Bertazoni name. kcbpham - did you end up purchasing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Smeg Opera

• jsceva
    12 years ago

According to our friend Wikipedia, the name stands for "Smalterie Metallurgiche Emiliane Guastalla." "Smalterie Metallurgiche" translates as "metal enamelling factory," and the "EG" refers to the location - the town of Gustalla, in Regio Emilia. They have existed under that name since being founded by Vittorio Bertazzoni in 1948.
    They really have to hate the fact that Red Dwarf became so popular. It doesn't seem to have much hurt their sales in the UK, though.

On the range itself...I've seen them in person, and they appear to be built pretty well. Nice fit and finish. But functionally, I have no idea. The BTUs were too low for them to be a serious contender at the time we saw them, so I didn't pursue it. The opera ranges do seem to be fairly popular in kitchens in UK design mags, but that doesn't really reliably indicate anything.

• kcbrph
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have not purchased yet...I am planning to though as it fits my needs and the price is great! I should be purchasing in January so I will update then.

• mojavean
    12 years ago

This is simply conjecture, but you might want to be sure that the color you want is available, and if so, put a deposit on one to hold it. Precipitous price drops often signal some kind of withdrawal from the market. Not saying this is true, but you might want to check with a dealer if the color of the range is important to you.

• kcbrph
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well...I couldn't make the decision to order the SMEG! Perhaps it was the "Smeg Opera sounds like the music they play in the lobby down at the free clinic" comment which was hilarious!

I began to worry the oven was small and now am leaning toward the Fratelli or Verona. I would really like a matte black (but stainless is ok too) and these both have that option available. I need to make this decision soon...any help is greatly appreciated!

• kcbrph
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am sorry to be so late but I did not purchase the SMEG. I finally ended up with the fratelli. Unfortunately our renovation is still going on and I have yet to cook with it. Will report when I finally get it working.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Kcbpharm,

YOU must keep us posted! My friend is waffling between the same ranges you were. I heard that the Fratelli is now out of business. Which model did you get?

I look forward to your review!

• shiloh2012
    10 years ago

love our 48' smeg after 3 months of regular use.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

They should have picked a better name.

This is almost as bad as the 'incubus' woman's sneaker fiasco.

• mzmercury
    10 years ago

shiloh2012 Is the full size oven large enough for a turkey? Half sheet baking pan? I've never seen one of these in person and can't seem to find anyone in California that distributes them.

It looks great in your kitchen!

Thanks in advance for any info.

• Ghen
    10 years ago

shiloh2012 - I'm just about to order mine, I saw it in the showroom in New York and fell in love.

Did you order the 2" height extenders?

Anyone else purchase any of the options (Backsplash, telescoping rack, kickplate, etc)

• jenny taggert
    7 years ago

can a large turkey be roasted in the 48' smeg oven