Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tncraft

H is pushing for induction cooktop, but I want gas

tncraft
12 years ago

I have been researching extensively on gas rangetop. We agreed to spend more on this. With CC and BS being highly regarded here, I now want to have either one.

But then, H visited Lowe's appliance section the other day to check out a refrigerator, and now changing his mind on gas and wants induction after seeing a brochure. Yes, a brochure changed his mind. LOL.

What are my reasons for gas rangetop:

1. it seems the best for cooking (am I wrong to think this?) and a lot of people seems to like gas

2. I like the look. It makes a kitchen looks high end. Not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this. Am I?

3. Since more people seems to like gas, I think it helps on resale. All the homes (these are high end) in the neighborhood have gas range/rangetop. This is actually my main worry if we go with something other than gas.

To those who chose induction, do you think my reasons are silly? Why did you choose induction? Why not gas? Which brand/model did you get?

To those with gas range/rangetop, did you take a peek at induction at all before choosing gas or were you set on gas? Why didn't you consider others (like induction)? Are my reasons silly?

Btw, here are H's reasons for induction:

1. Energy efficient

2. Safer than gas

3. Easy and quick to clean (this I like very much!)

Last question, which induction cooktop brand/model is highly regarded here at GW? Thanks!

Comments (53)

• zeebee
    12 years ago

I started thinking about induction after attending a cooking demo. I liked the responsiveness, the idea that the kitchen doesn't get so hot and the ease of cleaning. I decided against it because (1) it's not so suited to my style of cooking - I swirl sauces and move pans around a lot; (2) cooktop plus wall oven isn't the best choice for my limited layout; and (3)(trivial but true) I just don't like the looks of that glossy black glass smack in the middle of my traditional kitchen.

Who is the primary cook in the family? His/her preferences should be the deciding factor.

One compromise would be to get a gas cooktop and buy one of those plug-in induction burners to supplement. No, it's not the same as a full induction cooktop, but it could be used to quick-boil the water or make candy or whatever cooking functions you perform where induction would be useful.

• inox
    12 years ago

I do not see how you can do this type of cooking (shown after the commercial) on an induction range:

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacques Pépin: How to Make an Omelet

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Right, inox, we really can't do a lot of pan shaking and lifting up because we lose the pan detection.

Also, I'm really surprised he's using a metal fork on a nonstick pan.

BTW, we got induction because we had an old coiltop electric and would've had to run a new gas line. Also got a great deal on a floor model induction range.

Overall, I like the responsiveness of induction.

• bacin0
    12 years ago

I have not yet ordered my gas range top but am pretty sure that is what I will go with. Although I have had a coil top electric range for the last 30+ years, I learned to cook on gas and still miss it.

My husband also was impressed with induction so we bought a good counter top single induction burner to play with. I really could not get the hang of it- not as intuitive as gas. Although in the hot months I did notice that it was much cooler to use for boiling water. I also have several favorite pans that could not be used. If I could absolutely not have a gas range then I think induction would be a step up from electric but I will probably go with gas. Why don't you get a single induction burner to give it a try?

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

If you can't/don't have gas, induction seems to be next best choice. I'm not sure the energy arguments are enough to tip the scales away from gas at this juncture.

There is an ease of cleaning and comparatively low heat quotient with induction. But there are limitations in terms of types of pan usage -- no issue if you're starting out and willing to invest in high quality cookware like Demeyere or Sitram profiserie. For those who have been cooking for a while it can be too radical to get rid of every pot and pan you own and love using.

I'm with stooxie on the Allclad, Calphalon front. Never again.

Perhaps the knowledge that you'd need to buy all new and very expensive cookware to make induction work will dissuade the DH. Get the cooktop you really want.

• cj47
    12 years ago

I feel a need to jump in here, because I've seen a few things that are not really valid arguments against induction. I think you should get the cooktop that you want--but if you're going to consider induction, you should have the facts to make sure you're giving it a fair shake and be sure you don't want it before you get gas. Gas is great, it's the old standard for cooking. I cooked on gas for years and loved it, and kicked myself from here to Sunday when my husband talked me into a smoothtop electric. I swore I'd go back to gas someday, but when "someday" got here, there was a new kid in town, with all the power and responsiveness of gas. I bought a small induction burner to try out, and I was seduced by the power and responsiveness, and the ease of cleaning. I bought it and have not regretted my choice. For others, it's not the right choice--and that's fine. I have no horse in this race, the person who cooks in your home should have the final say. But before you rule out induction, here are some things that you should consider, IMO:

First, there is NO NEED to buy expensive cookware to use on induction, so that is not really a valid consideration. All that is required is that a magnet will stick to the bottom, and there are plenty of inexpensive lines of cookware that will meet that criteria. I use a 12 pc set of Tramontina that I picked up from Walmart for less than $250 and it works as well as my old calphalon pans did on my old electric cooktop. You CAN buy expensive cookware to use on induction, just as you CAN buy it for gas. Your choice. If you have pans that you love that aren't induction capable, then that is a valid consideration.

2. Whether you lose the "signal" when you pick up the pan is a matter of what manufacturer made your induction cooktop. My burner stays on for plenty of time after the pan is lifted off, I think the manual says three minutes. I do know that I've grabbed a pan off the stove, took it to the sink, added water and brought it back and the burner continued right where it'd left off. That's certainly enough time to flip an omelet.

3. Speaking of omelets, if the bottoms of your pans are smooth, I see no reason not to shake them around ala Jacques Pepin. Now, banging them up and down on the glass is probably not a good idea--but who does that? Sliding them back and forth vigorously should be fine as long as the pan bottoms are smooth. I wouldn't do it with my grandmother's rough bottomed cast iron pan, for that I put a piece of parchment under the pan to make sure it doesn't scratch. But for the Tramontinas--no sweat. One caveat is that you want to make sure there's no salt on the cooktop if you're doing that--salt is quite abrasive and if ground in by a pan bottom will scratch the glass. The positive side is that you can sweep it off with your hand or a cloth without even turning off the burner. And you won't lose the signal.

4. No, you can't catch the alcohol on fire in...

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

I'm not convinced that "more" people like gas. Maybe more people are familiar with gas. I've read a lot of threads on this board in which former gas cooks now have induction and say they will never go back, yet I don't recall the reverse to be true...maybe I just didn't notice it.

Cj put it perfectly -- it should be whatever the cook perfers.

I wonder if a small induction has as much power as a full-size cooktop. Aren't they typically 110?

• plllog
    12 years ago

I have both gas and induction. I rarely prefer the gas.

What are my reasons for gas rangetop:
    1. it seems the best for cooking (am I wrong to think this?) and a lot of people seems to like gas

Gas is great for cooking. Gas needs no explanation. Gas will heat up anything and everything (whether you want it to or not). Induction requires flat, ferrous cookware.

For actual cooking, however, they're pretty equivalent. Both are powerful and responsive. There are somethings you can do more easily on induction--no double boilers or bains marie for delicate things, you can spread newspaper under your pan for frying to catch all the spatter, you can hold a pot at an even temperature for a long time without adjusting. Induction is also usually faster than gas. There are other things you can do more easily on gas, like char peppers, flame alcohol, toasting, or really anything you need an open flame for (you could use a kitchen torch for most...), and it's more easily suited to a wok.

2. I like the look. It makes a kitchen looks high end. Not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this. Am I?

Induction is new tech (even though it's been around for a long time it's just coming into its own now), and new tech is generally considered high end. Gas rangetops do make a style statement. You can make a similar statement with an induction cooktop and some stainless steel. Or you could get the Gaggenau Varios with the knobs on the front face of the cabinetry, like a rangetop has. They make a high end style statement of their own.

There is no right or wrong on looks. You like what you like. I'd argue that what makes a kitchen look high end, however, is the disguising of the appliances rather than the display.

3. Since more people seems to like gas, I think it helps on resale. All the homes (these are high end) in the neighborhood have gas range/rangetop. This is actually my main worry if we go with something other than gas.

That depends on your neighborhood. If it really is high end, the appliances won't matter a bit unless you're doing a flip. The new owners will probably rip out the kitchen, anyway, because they don't like your tile, you have the wrong sized fridge, or they want to put in a wood-fired oven. If it's only on the high end of your area, how much inventory do you think there will be when you go to sell? If there are a lot of nearly identical houses in nearly identical locations, the appliances might be a tipping point. Under most circumstances, in a settled and desirable, high end area, no one will make the decision to buy or not to buy on the basis of appliances, but might on the basis of how much they think they have to sink into the kitchen. Your real estate agent can do a lot to upsell buyers on induction rather than allowing them to think it's smooth-top electric and worry about it not being nice.

Btw, here are H's reasons for induction:
    1. Energy efficient

Yes and no. Certainly...

• cj47
    12 years ago

Athomesewing--yes, the little induction units you can buy just to give the technology a try are only 110. Mine was a Viking, and the power was roughly equal to my smallest induction burner at it's lower settings. But, it's enough to get a 'taste' of how the technology works,, in your own kitchen. It's also a great idea to go to a showroom that has an operational one. I traveled about an hour and a half to see the Miele induction unit in person at a Miele showroom. I took my pressure cooker and another pan with me to see how it worked with my equipment. First and foremost, I wanted something that would perform well, for a long time, with a minimum of hassle and repair. I got it, and I'm pleased with it.

I do remember one person posting here awhile back who said that she actually preferred her older gas cooktop to the induction she got. I think it was in the thread about "would you go back" about people who'd moved to induction from gas.

Cj

• davidro1
    12 years ago

in all the threads where people compare gas to induction for the first time ever, it's induction that wins.

You can have both, if you want to feel rich and to think about appealing when reselling.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

My comments on the expensive cookware came from complaints about buzzing here -- resolved with upgraded cookware.

As the owner of an electric radiant (Viking and rather powerful) I've been looking into a switch out to induction. Still mulling since it must be retrofit, which produces cascading alteration issues.

I have priceless vintage French copper (not magnetic) and copper-sandwich Sitram (not magnetic) so apart from the new Demeyere stockpot I just bought to see what the fuss was about (Zabar's has best prices by far on this brand) and Sitram's Profiserie line, I haven't found a huge amount of suitable cookware, though, admittedly I've only looked online. My cookware goes into the DW so I'm a bit picky about handles, lids and materials in general and bottoms in particular.

Good to have a source at Walmart, where I wouldn't think to shop for serious cookware. But I am done with the stuff Stooxie referenced.

Very good comments cj and always great to hear more from plllog since she has had both types for an extended time.

• cj47
    12 years ago

Roccogirl, the only cookware I have that buzzes are the (very) few pans that I have that have a separate piece glued to the bottom, if that makes sense at all. You can see when you look at the pots that there's a separate piece--this is often the case with really cheap pans. Those have the most tendancy to buzz, in my experience--but they don't always buzz. I don't know why.

The Tramontina is tri ply, one piece. To be honest, I bought it thinking I'd switch it out for something better down the road. I was very surprised when I opened the box and found cookware that had good heft and really nice handles! The only thing I'm missing at all on them is the lip, which would make for easier pouring out of the pans. I've learned to live with it. :-p Honestly, I'm happy with them and after comparing them to the expensive cookware I was planning on getting, I don't think I will take that step after all. If I can ever afford Demeyere, I will get one a piece or two of that. Those seem to be in a league of their own.

As to buzzing, I occasionally hear a buzz start up if I have three or more burners going all at the same time. Not every time, but sometimes. I think there's a magnetic resonance that happens or something when certain parameters are met--and what those might be I haven't tracked. It's not terribly loud or annoying--but I have noticed it.

Cj

• davidro1
    12 years ago

I found that the Ikea 365+ line of cookware doesn't buzz on induction. Its price is so low I dare not post it. Some people would be upset.

I also have Tramontina and AllClad.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Watch the boiling contest between Mojavean and I, seeing who can boil water the fastest. The mic is right next to the Emeril ware pot and a very sensitive mic on the camera, You can hear my big screen playing in the next room, Yet you hear no noise from the Elux Icon Induction cooktop or the Emeril ware and it was on "Boost", just to make sure it beat Mohavean's Blue Star.

Emeril ware I got at Bed Bath and Beyond and As I recall
    (I Hope Correctly), it was about $199 for an 8 set piece.
    Wife really loves that cookware, so as stated, You don't hafta spend a fortune for new cookware, (Unless you into that sort of thing). I suspects there are those that would not "pair a Miele or Gaggenau Induction Cooktop" with Emeril ware, but myself I've too little time left on
    "Terrra Firma" to play those games!

Good luck on your pending decision, Personally I like Pillog's suggestion about having both, I do, but my
    "Big Gasser", a huge burnered DCS is outside on my patio and living in S Calif, I can use it about anytime of the year, for example it was 85 here today (Sorry bout that)!!

Gary

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I have induction and there is only one big problem I have with it - though I don't think this is an issue in "high end" neighborhoods.

I can not use a big canner on the induction cooktop as they are all aluminum. If gas was an option, I'd have one gas hob for canning and grilling, and use the induction for the rest of the cooking.

My husband has sulfide allergies, and that is something that is used as a preservative in a lot of store bought and preprocessed foods - so home canning is a major way I keep him healthy.

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

plllog: Induction requires flat, ferrous cookware.

No. False. We are on our twelfth year of using induction. Half of our pots are flat-bottomed; half are not. They all work equally well with induction. Smooth top cooking surfaces that transfer energy from the burner to the pot in the form of heat need large surface to surface contact areas, and so flat-bottomed pots and pans are necessary. Induction transfers energy in the form of oscillating magnetic fields, and magnet fields work across air spaces without problem.

However, if you are into wok cooking, where the flames must lick up the sides of the pan, then you need a burner that generates vertical flames.

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback. After reading all your replies and older GW discussions and looking at kitchen pictures with an induction cooktop, I'm now seriously considering it. We will have an outdoor cooking area with gas grill and 1-2 gas burners. So I could still do gas cooking. Thanks to those who mentioned their outdoor cooking area. :)

I want to explore it further though. So, any recommendation on brand/model to check out? We want 36".

• plllog
    12 years ago

Herring_maven, I forgot about your fancy cookware. You're right. There are exceptions to the flat thing. In general, flat is preferable because you have more direct transmission to the pan. They specifically tell you not to use pots with ridges on the bottom, which can trap air underneath and create a danger. There are curved pans like Herring_maven's (which also have feet, if I remember right) that are close enough to the magnetic field to work correctly. Some shallow, but not flat, woks do as well.

My favorite pot used to be what's called a "soup pot" by Le Creuset. It has curved/angled sides, and a relatively small area flat on the glass. It's great on gas, where, like a wok, the sides heat up from the heat escaping from underneath. Additionally, there's something about the shape that's supposed to be specifically good for cooking, but I forget the details. Loved it on gas. Don't use it on induction. It takes too long for the cast iron sides to heat up completely. My old least favorite in the same size range is now my go to pot. It's a saucepan with a larger, flat bottom and straight sides (also Le Creuset cast iron). Same size. Heats better. Flat wins.

I have a curved inside/flat outside cast iron wok, which similarly takes a long time to heat. Once it's hot, it stays hot, unlike a thin steel wok, so it is useful on flat induction (there is dish shaped induction for woks), but it's not the best of all worlds.

There are exceptions to the "flat" thing, like Herring_Maven's unusual (and very interesting) cookware. It's a general rule, rather than an absolute. The ferrous is an absolute. Although there is theory for aluminum and copper to be affected by magnetic induction, that's not what happens with residential cooking units. For them, it's all about iron/steel.

You can't use glass (Corningware), ceramic/stoneware (beanpot?) or other non-metalic cookware on induction. Even among pans that will work, some work better than others. If you don't have an investment in very fancy pots that are worth more than your appliances, it is worth buying a few new ones (January sales are a great time to do it), rather than giving up on induction technology.

• cj47
    12 years ago

Tncraft, you asked for brand recommendations, but did not mention a budget. For a 36 inch cooktop, you are probably looking at $1500-$4,000, so there's a big range. The Induction Site has a lot of information about induction cooking as well as information on most of the manufacturers. You may want to start your research there. And, it would be a good thing to actually try induction out, either in a showroom or with a small induction burner that you can plug in and use in your current kitchen. It's an investment, and you want to make sure that it suits you.

Cj

Here is a link that might be useful: The Induction Site

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

Some induction appliances come with timers that beep; others with timers that can turn a hob off when time is up. The latter (which we don't have) is better, IMHO (at least cooking rice).

With induction, I'm not sure there are particular brands to avoid or to get. There are style/color differences, features (such as those timers), and differences in how much space a cooktop needs below for air circulation, but I haven't heard complaints that any particular brand of induction range or cooktop fails prematurely.

I agree with others' advice to try out induction somewhere -- ideally at a Miele gallery or an appliance showroom with a 36" cooktop set up for demonstration. Might be smart to bring your own pans.

Another issue is the wire powering the cooktop. Some units might run on (either) 40 or 50 amp circuits; obviously, a larger 50 amp circuit carries more current so cooking will be faster if you spend more for more robust wiring.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

50A, 40A, yeah, but don't overthink this or overspecify your wants. This remark is for the neophyte who is reading up prior to buying. An existing 40 Amp circuit is a great amount of power. Whether 50 Amperes or 40, it makes no difference IRL. The difference is slight, and ONLY applies when you're concentrating all the maximum power available onto one spot, and if if and if. 99% of people won't need or care, 99% of the time in real life. Before buying an induction cooktop, they might all put this 50A / 40A distinction on their wish list. After they install their induction cooktop, they might realize it was not that big a deal. Advice to heed: use the circuit you already have. If it's 40A, it is OK, fine, great, not in need of a replacement.

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

plllog: Herring_maven's (which also have feet, if I remember right) that are close enough to the magnetic field to work correctly. Some shallow, but not flat, woks do as well.

Demeyere, also, has taken the footed route for its allegedly induction-compatible wok-like pan. If the bottom of the pot is curvilinear, of course, the pot would rock and roll on a flat surface without the feet to stabilize it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Footed so-called wok by Demeyere

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cj... Our budget for a gas rangetop is $3500. So if we go with induction, we could go that high BUT I'd be very happy to pay less. Base on what I've researched so far, it seems like some brands are just more expensive because of the name. I'm highly considering the Bosch, Electrolux and Miele. Bosch is at the top of my list though since they currently have rebates (Bosch 800 for $2100 after rebate + additional 15% off if we buy 2 more appliances). So, what do you think of Bosch?

On the circuit amp, should I ask for 40 or 50? This is for a new construction, so I can ask anything.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

I would get a GAS stove and a really nice 2 burner Induction HOB.
    That way you have the best of both worlds

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

tncraft: I want to explore it further though. So, any recommendation on brand/model to check out? We want 36"

Start with the dimensions overall. Although you see 30" cooktops and 36" cooktops, those are nominal widths, and there are no industry standards; two nominally 36" (wide) cooktops may have a couple of inches of difference in front-to-back depth. There are very large differences from model to model in below-counter depth, and those differences may dictate whether you can put drawers of a specific height or a wall oven under the cooktop. The venting from the fan that keeps the induction electronics cool (different from the cooking exhaust fan) emerges from different locations for different models of cooktop, and could, for instance, affect what you would feel comfortable storing in the drawer under the cooktop or what spice bottles, etc. you line up between the rear of the cooktop and the backsplash, if any.

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

Tncraft, see if you can see one or two of those brand options working side-by-side, somewhere, in person. Rebates will come and go, though Miele tends to not do that much (unless a new model's just come put). If you want to have an oven below, then the empty space required under the cooktop may matter to you as well.

I think you'll want to select a specific cooktop first, then check its installation instructions for the required circuit size. If it turns out you have an option of 40A or 50A (say), the larger wire will cost more and is more difficult to bend (so, depending on its path, may be harder to install); this may not be a problem in new construction. But your decision may also involve how far the line goes (circuit board to cooktop), etc. Barring practical considerations like these, I'd choose the larger circuit option, but that's me.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

ditto chac_mool ; go for it if it's available.

• cj47
    12 years ago

$3500 should give you a lot of leeway in making a choice. I have a Miele. I liked the burner configuration, and the sizes of the burners suited me as well. I like the ability to adjust how many levels I have (ie, 9 or 18), and the shut off timers on each burner. Honestly--I've not felt the need to adjust for more levels. There are also other options that you can program. I also like the way the edges are sealed so that NO CRUD ever collects there. (this was a big deal to me).

The Bosch looks like a nice unit--it has direct select levels, which would be nice. Make sure you get to see a working unit somewhere, if you can. I'll reiterate that it's a good idea to try induction before you jump in, as everyone's style is different. If the burner sizes and config are to your liking, it has the features that you want, and you can get a rebate--go for it. As others have said, I have not heard much about these units failing or having problems, no matter which brand is chosen.

Have fun.
    Cj

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CJ... I checked out appliance places here, but nobody does a cooking demo with induction. :(

I'm thinking we may be okay. I did grow up cooking with gas, but I've been cooking with electric smoothtop in the last 6yrs. I don't think H ever cooked on gas. :)

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

The induction will have a much faster response time than electric smoothtop. What I noticed with mine is that I now cook things on lower power settings than normal electric.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Herring_maven has found another of my imprecisions: There are "flat bottomed woks" which are really high sided skillets. I was referring to something someone I met has, which is a shallow, curved wok, on a large bamboo ring, which is close enough to the element to heat up, same as if it had feet, plus, of course, the Demeyere and ones like it, which actually do have feet.

Tncraft, go for the 50 Amp circuit if there's no problem with it. That way you can have whatever you want no matter what.

I can't figure out from your most recent posts which way you're leaning. There's no reason not to have gas if you really want it. It's just that a lot of us who have used both prefer induction and get enthusiastic. :) You can try out a portable (Amazon and many other places have them and will send you one). A portable doesn't have nearly the power or speed of a built-in, but you can start to feel what it's like cooking in a pot that gets hot and leaves the surface cool, and it should be better than your smooth-top electric.

With induction there aren't the cleaning issues that there are with radiant electric. You can clean all around your pot while you're cooking, plus things don't really get baked on because the glass doesn't get that hot. The glass does get too hot to touch immediately right under a hot pot, but that's from the hot pot, not from direct heating of the glass.

The biggest differences between induction units of a similar size are:

• Cut out size and arrangement/volume of required airspace for cooling the electronics (some require a big space underneath, others just want a channel behind the drawers, probably either would work for all of them).

• Size and arrangement of the elements.

• Power of each element and power on boost, plus whether the twinned element (if any) goes off during boost or just goes to a lower power level

• Number of power levels--these are almost always marked 1-9, but many have half steps (17 total settings), and some have buttons that go right to high, right to low, or right to middle.

• The style and type of controls: Do you have to select the element first and then move the control up and down? Is there a separate control for each element? Do you have to tap, hold your finger on it, slide your finger along a slider, or is there a knob?

• Other features: Timers, "true timers" which turn off the element when they get to zero, programmable sequences, boil over, instant off, power down if left unattended, etc. Some of these features aren't obvious or listed, so it's important to check the manuals. When I was shopping Miele had 17 power levels if you choose that as an option, but it was in the back of the book, and the guys at the Miele Gallery didn't even know. Similarly, my Gaggenau turns off when water covers the power on/off control, but they don't call it a boil over sensor, and, because there is an on/off control, which you can just turn off, and which comes back on to the previous...

• stooxie
    12 years ago

I'm curious as to how people are finding induction with curved vessels, i.e. a wok with a wok ring. Since magnetic fields weaken proportionally to the square of the distance I have to imagine such a setup would not capture the efficiency of induction. According to the laws of physics it can't be "the same" as a flat bottomed vessel but maybe the practical difference isn't felt?

Ooooo, this would be a neat test. Take a cold saute pan with 1/2" of water in it and see how long it takes to boil at various distances above the hob. Say half an inch through 4 inches.

-Stooxie

• plllog
    12 years ago

In general, an ordinary Chinatown wok and wok ring don't work well with flat induction. Without the ring, the wok (assuming it's steel) will work with a wok unit with a dish shaped (i.e., concave) element. You might be able to make or cut down a wok ring so that the bottom of the wok sits on the glass. That would be a worthwhile test because, especially if you have an "inside out" wok, there will be quite a bit within range of the field. You do need to wait for the electrons to bump into each other enough to heat up the sides before you begin, however (or heat in the oven).

I have heard of, but not used, a shallow wok, such as is used in a place not Japan or China (can't remember where), on a large bamboo ring, that worked fine with flat induction, as I mentioned above. The Demeyere stainless-ply induction wok is conventionally shaped and has ball feet. This is supposed to work well, but I haven't tried that either.

You can't boil water at 4" above an induction unit. You probably can at 1/4" above a high quality built-in, though not most portables. Maybe 3/8" I doubt 1/2", though it's possible for some. The field is designed to functionally stop at 1/4" above, and the pot detector won't detect the pot if some part of it isn't in contact or nearly so.

Induction wokkery is different from conventional open flame wokkery. You don't need to lift the wok to control the heat--you can do that easily by using the controls. Newer units allow you to lift and toss then return the wok without shutting off.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

"The field is designed to functionally stop at 1/4" above, and the pot detector won't detect the pot if some part of it isn't in contact or nearly so."

Ahh, that makes sense.

Thanks!
    -Stooxie

• kashmi
    12 years ago

tncraft: I was in your shoes this summer and got some good advice from GWers about choosing from among induction cooktop brands. Other posts have already advised checking cut out dimensions and how much open space is required below the oven, as well as downloading the manuals.

Here are a couple of other considerations that helped us decide.

What size pans do you most often use (measure them across the bottom, where the pans will touch the cooktop)? That will help you determine how many hobs of which sizes you'll want.

Where would you prefer to have your larger pans -- such as pasta pots? Some brands have the larger hobs at the front, others at the back.

There's also been some discussion about electrical requirements. Getting the 50 amp service installed cost us $400. Not as bad as I had thought it might be -- and certainly less than it would have cost us to run a gas line.

From reading the previous threads linked to near the top of this discussion, you know that people are happy with each of the brands you have identified. Good luck with your decision making; you almost can't go wrong!

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

Has anyone used the Costco (copper-bonded 5-ply) stainless cookware on their induction? In person it is beautiful -- heavy and well made. The pic does it no justice

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco cookware

• kaseki
    12 years ago

Electro-magnetic fields vary as the inverse square of the distance only in the "far field." This would be some distance from the hob, likely several diameters. In any case, the induction hob is not designed to radiate EM energy, and likely would do so very slightly if no pan were intercepting the field lines.

Near the hob, the important issue is how the field lines are configured to connect opposite poles of the induction coil laminations. The drop in transfered power with distance is likely very different for short gaps above the surface versus larger gaps due to field line curvature. It will also vary differently depending on the diameter of the hob. I expect the function to be a higher power with distance than the square.

The field itself does not stop at one-quarter inch separation. A manufacturer's pan sensor may detect that there is no pan within such a distance and turn the field off, but if the field is on it will extend out farther with progressively less strength.

kas

• thynes1501
    12 years ago

RE: Costco stainless cookware, we purchased a large stock pot for $39.99 and it feels very solid and well made.
    Most of our cookware is All Clad d5 and the Costco pot seems to perform just as well with induction.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I know, Kas, I didn't say that well. I wasn't talking about the pot detector. Of course the actual field will keep going. What I meant by "functionally" is that it's designed not to heat up pots much higher than that. So they say in the documentation. So I have experienced by playing around with mine.

• kaseki
    12 years ago

Ah! We're on the same page then, plllog. Have a nice day.

kas

• amela
    12 years ago

I have the 30 inch Bosch and I hope I never have to go back to gas or (shudder) electric coil. Another plus that is rarely mentioned is that with the ease of cleanup, there is a corresponding decrease in time spent cleaning. That alone is worth the dedicated line we had to put in to me. I am a messy cook and I get a thrill knowing how quick and easy the cleanup will be.
    On that note, we found the Bosch to have the least metal strips which of course means less crevices to clean.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    12 years ago

My favorite thing about induction is that every burner can simmer and every burner can quickly boil. No more moving pans to the burner that runs "hot" or the burner that simmers well.

I don't think you can say about gas or normal electric.

My second favorite thing about it is my cooktop always looks clean! Dismantling grates after every meal is a real pain in the behind.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

""My favorite thing about induction is that every burner can simmer and every burner can quickly boil. No more moving pans to the burner that runs "hot" or the burner that simmers well.
    I don't think you can say about gas or normal electric."
    =========================================================

Sure you can about gas, just get burners that are double stack 15K BTU, and it has a very low simmer on every burner.

I couldn't stand having a stove top with one good burner and then have to move the pot to a "simmer burner" that just seems ridiculous.

• plllog
    12 years ago

What Nunyabiz says is very true. There are gas ranges and cooktops that have all the burners equal, some with simmer rings, others with simmer plates, all with the same top power.

OTOH, most induction has a different top power level for each ring, or each size of ring if there are more than one of a size. Because the power increases with size, it makes intuitive sense, but when I have two equally sized normal pots going, I do think about which one goes on the more powerful front element and which goes on the not quite as powerful center of the big ring element. It's not a big power difference, but it's noticeable.

If you have an all the same power gas cooktop, it might be better if you often have a lot of small or same sized pots. I actually rarely do! But I do have to think about it when it comes up. :)

• PeterH2
    12 years ago

"My favorite thing about induction is that every burner can simmer and every burner can quickly boil. ... I don't think you can say about gas ..."

I can say that about Capital Culinarian and NXR (and probably others). I think you can also get a BlueStar configured that way on special order.

Conversely, every induction cooktop I have seen has had some smaller elements that would not boil as quickly as the biggest element(s).

• attofarad
    12 years ago

When Gary said Emerilware(tm), I'm pretty sure he meant the Pro-Clad line. I don't think that the cheaper line (aluminum/copper clad bottom) will work with induction.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

You're right attofarad, it specifically said "For use with induction cooktops" but I brought my magnet to be sure!

Gary

• westsider40
    12 years ago

I have a Bosch 30 induction. I don't remember which hobs have which power, but, I do boil a small serving of pasta in my 2 qt. saucepot in the blink of an eye, almost.

I cannot lift heavy expensive cookware and my relatively low cost stuff works perfectly. No buzz. I lift and swirl and it doesn't shut off.

It is true that folks just have their preferences. Some just like flames. Maybe they appreciate their cooking more if they are sweating. (Food Network chefs sweat a lot) I have a new gas stove, 2003, at our vacation cottage -there is no comparison. But, we don't cook much at the cottage.

The only advantage to gas would be to char a pepper, wok or cook during an outtage. My Shanghai born dil is a superb cook and uses large skillets, no woks.

In my case, having a zip-zip cleanup, without soaking or scrubbing grates, would overwhelm any gas advantage.

I prefer not to sweat during cooking or cleanup. And not smell gas.

• funster
    12 years ago

40 or 50 amp circuit has no bearing on the output of burners only how many can be run at full power at the same time.

• bonesoda
    12 years ago

I was in the same boat gas vs induction... i do cook a lot professionally and at home so i ordered the culinarian. Before i took delivery i found myself second guessing myself and tried to cook on both culinarian and an induction hob.

I was sold on induciton and cancelled my order for gas and went with induction.

I do have to buy all pots n pans new but i can live wiht that also having a cool kitchen.

I would recommend you go try cooking on both.