Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samirasoni

using two extractor hoods to get higher cfm

Hi All,

I live in UK and doing a kitchen refurbishment and need your help. I have limited budget and cant find an extractor hood which is more than 1000 m3/h (588 cfm) within 600gbp. I am thinking if I can mount two hoods each with 720 m3/h (423 cfm) to achieve a higher cfm overall.

I dont have a range. I am buying a gas hob with dimensions 72x52, with 4 normal burners and one 5kw (17K BTU)
this is the link:
http://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-pcr715m90e-gas-hob-brushed-steel/p733165

and thinking of mounting these two hoods above it one behind the other in a 80x60 wall cabinet from ikea in back to back position so that the lights are at the edges and grease filters are in the middle.
link for hood
http://www.johnlewis.com/store/elica-elbht80-built-in-cooker-hood-grey/p230412069?navAction=jump&_requestid=9185062

I will use two (150mm) duct pipes and going to exhaust them outside on a side wall about 60 cm away from this box containing hood. Together this will make it like a 72cm wide and 60 cm deep hood with 880 cfm.

do you think it would be ok to do? will the hoods side by side in same cabinet vibrate and not work effectively? will a 80x60 wall cabinet look too awkward? usual ikea wall cabinets are 40cm depth and this is 60cm deep base cabinet that i am thinking to mount on wall (something like a top cabinet for fridge)

Another option I am thinking is mounting two 60cm wide hoods in two 60cm wall cabinets next to each other. This is link for 60cm wide hoods
http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/d4672x0gb/neff-d4672x0gb-60cm-canopy-hood

these two together will become 120cm wide, 44cm deep hood when that telescoping grease filter is opened. It seems too wide for a 72cm hob and less deep for 52 cm depth of hob. Will this much width reduce the effective extraction from the hob in the middle?

I am going to mostly do the high smoke/smell cooking in central or back hobs.

What do you suggest? Any other solution? I wish I could buy this http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/da2210/miele-da2210-110cm-canopy-hood
but it is way beyond my budget :(

Comments (10)

• kaseki
    9 years ago

First(ly), I don't think there is any fundamental problem with a dual hood approach. But I think that potential configurations have to be evaluated by picturing the rising effluent plume and what it does when it gets to the hood.

Questions to ponder while keeping in mind that the lamp areas and other non-baffle/non-mesh areas do not count as hood aperture include:

o Does any part of the rising and expanding effluent not strike a baffle or mesh area?
    o If so, where does it reflect to (curl away to) and is this location a baffle or mesh area that can capture it?
    o If effluent escapes, is it a small enough fraction that it is tolerable?
    o Is the type of effluent that escapes dependant on configuration? I.e., does the burner configuration (with the volcano in the center), in concert with what is cooked on which burner, affect the answers above?

Second(ly), I find it hard to believe that a pair of size X hoods with blowers costs significantly less than a size 2X single hood with a 2X-capable blower. Perhaps a bespoke hood shop similar to Modern-Aire in the USA can put meet your price point, or further searching of alternative may be fruitful.

kas

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for reply. Yes most of the hoods sold in UK are 200cfm to be used with hobs and 500 cfm to be used for ranges. Also the ones to be fitted inside cabinets are all 11inch to 15inch wide. The chimney types are upto 22 inch wide but they will have those lights and buttons under hood so actually mesh area is smaller. Really struggling to find something that is deep enough and has enough power.

First I thought of mounting one 500 cfm hood and a seperate extractor fan like the ones used in bathroom but then i thought it is more important to capture all smoke/smell near the hob itself rather than letting it flow away and trying to capture by a bathroom like extractor.

I would prefer to mount two side by side instead of one behind other as that will be closer to the manufacturer's instruction, though no where it says you cant mount them one behind the other.

do you think if i mount two hoods side by side, though not deep enough to capture the front burner but enough to capture the back burners, they would be able to extract it out effectively from back burner. Will the extra width reduce the power they will have to capture it?

I have huge windows in the kitchen and I will open the window on other side of extractor to provide MUA. The weather isnt extreme here and it always feels ok to have some fresh air while cooking.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Effluent escape is constrained by walls and side cabinets so that the major escape path is on the side.where the cook stands in such configurations. This is ameliorated by having enough overlap of hood with front burners. But if you don't have enough, you can still choose to use back burners for the most greasy or smelly cooking.

I don't think it matters from a manufacturer's point of view whether the units are side by side or front by back. I would aim to keep the filters proximate for good collection at least in their portion of the apparent aperture area. (The area where impinging effluent is certain to intersect mesh filters and baffle areas, or be directed to them, is the only real aperture area.)

kas

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for reply. In summary as long as I make sure that Effluent from back burners and to some extent from the cental burner are captured by the mesh part of the hood and two hood together have enough cfm, it would be ok.

So much to plan and choose for the refurbishment, I had never thought finding a hood would take so much time. Your explanation has put my mind to rest about this now and I can focus on other things.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

If the cook top is against a wall I would aim to maximize capture of the center burner as it looks from your link like the one most capable of high pan heating. Higher temperatures cause higher effluent velocities and drive the flow rate needed at the hood. A high velocity effluent is harder to capture and contain if it isn't directly captured and contained (no bounces). The back burners' effluent plumes will be directed by the walls and side cabinets toward the hood aperture and have a reasonable chance of capture and containment.

Of course, if the center burner is intended just for boiling pasta, and the back burners will be frying the mackerel, then emphasizing back burner capture and containment will make sense.

For a good mental image of what goes on, see Schlieren image on page 4 of

http://www.energy.ca.gov/reports/2003-06-13_500-03-034F.PDF

kas

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kas,

Thanks a lot for help. I went through the doucment and now going for this hood
    http://www.johnlewis.com/store/elica-elbht80-built-in-cooker-hood-grey/p230412069?navAction=jump&_requestid=9185062

Two hoods will be mounted inside a wall cabinet which will be 60 cm deep such that lights from the backside hood will be near wall and front side hood will be near the cook. Hopefully that will capture the cental burner. Also the hoods will be 31 inches above the hob, that can help with capture.

kitchen update is due in Jan next year. Will post an update how it goes.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Daisy08:

Seems like a suitable compromise. I see that the lights are mounted on a sloped panel which should help direct plume edges toward the central meshes. You may wish to sketch a stick figure side view to scale and consider whether the rear lights beam pattern (if you can determine what it is) will induce too much visual glare.

Please note that mesh filter hoods are only effective when the air flow through the mesh filters can be maintained, and that requires cleaning them whenever there is noticeable grease and lint build-up. Dishwashers may work for this, but some discoloration of the typical aluminum used in meshes may occur. A stainless steel mesh would be pretty immune to any caustic dishwasher detergent.

kas

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Also, access to the controls of the rear unit may be an issue.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

you observation about light is right. I think it will have seperate on/off for lights or I can remove bulbs from the back side hood and only use the front lights. Yes will have to wash those filters regularly. I will do anything to get rid of all the cooking smell and grease!

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Anything?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio