Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmi331

Fridge making popping sounds

emmi331
12 years ago

I had to sympathize with the earlier post about the noisy fridge. I have a Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator that's less than a year old. I like it, though it can be noisy at times. Recently I've been hearing popping sounds emanating from it now and then. This REALLY concerns me because the same sounds came from my water heater before it died at about 14 years old. I believe it was due to mineral build-up. How could this happen in a fridge? Should I have someone look at it? It's still under warranty, which is why I need to know if this is a normal sound or not. Thanks....

Comments (36)

• dadoes
    12 years ago

I can't say for sure about your unit without examining it ... but refrigerators have parts that may expand or contract due to temperature changes, which can bring about snap or pop noises.

Popping sounds may also emanate from an ice maker during the harvest or dump cycle, when the ejector or harvest arm breaks the cubes loose and scoops them from the mold. My GE Profile Arctica SxS often makes a pop noise at that moment.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Your manual very likely has a paragraph or two about "normal" sounds. From your description, I'd bet on the ice-maker and would consider such sounds normal.

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

Emmi331, can you narrow down whether these sounds are emanating from the ice maker or elsewhere in your fridge?

If its the ice maker, these sounds may be normal, as asolo says (your manual should help there). But they could also signal that a clump of ice cubes melted together and aren't moving through the ice maker as expected, "popping" when the machine tries to get the clump to move along. Of course, that implies that you're probably not getting ice. If so, this should be obvious when you look inside (breaking up the clump should fix that).

• emmi331
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Actually, though the fridge has ice-making capability, I never "enabled" it, so ice is not being made. I consulted the manual (as our teachers always told us, "When all else fails, read the directions"), and it said there may be popping sounds at the end of the auto-defrost cycle. It just concerned me because I don't recall hearing this noise for the first months. Chac, it sounds like the popping is coming from somewhere in the back of the refrigerator. It could be perfectly okay, but I can't tell you the number of times I've had things break down within a month after the warranty ends, and I don't want to go through that again!

• asolo
    12 years ago

Well, that's interesting. If it's not the ice-maker and doesn't appear to correspond with anything in manual's "normal noises" section I, too, would be concerned. Do you have a more experienced "ear" available to you?

• mojavean
    12 years ago

If the icemaker can be eliminated as a cause (that was the first thing I thought of, nylon gears trying to drive a seized component) then perhaps it is related to the auto defrost. There is a heating element behind the rear wall of the freezer that is energized periodically to defrost the evaporator coils. If water drips on this hot element, you will hear hissing/popping. But I am not clear as to what sort of sound it is you are hearing.

If the sound is mechanical, like solid parts hitting each other, I would be looking at the fresh foods circulator fan, or maybe something buckling and unbuckling due to heat, swollen thermostat, perhaps a defrost timer if your machine is older.

What we need is gardenweb diagnostics video on youtube! That would make it a lot easier if we could actually hear the sound you are hearing!

• emmi331
    Original Author
    12 years ago

asolo, the manual said to expect popping due to auto-defrost. The fridge is very new - I bought it in Feb. of this year. And it IS a popping sound, like ping-pong balls being hit. My concern is that it didn't start up until recently, and I hear it a couple of times a day. I should probably call someone, but there's not a doubt in my mind that once an expert arrives, there will be NO popping sounds while s/he's here!!

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

It would not surprise me to hear a 'popping' sound during defrost as the defrost heater expands and heats the coils. Could also be the solid foam insulation popping as it warms up.

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

Emmi331, try to tape record the sound. You might also log when this happens and for how long; its a long shot, but could help predict a good time for repair to show up.

• aprince
    12 years ago

If the sound is the same as water hitting a hot pan, popping with a little sizzle, it's normal, typically of Frigidaire. It is condensation dripping down onto a hot coil.

• Mpshea78
    10 years ago

I just had a frigidaire gallery model dropped off today and am hearing the same exact noise. The "ping pong ball" description is dead on. I've shut the ice off and read the manual, but the noise continues. Did you ever find out what the issue was?

• Elkies4
    10 years ago

I have a 22 yr old Amana Fridge with Freezer on top, and there is no ice maker nor door water/ice cube function. It was a really great, quiet unit for many years until about one year ago. Started to make loud popping sounds once in a while, but know it's many times during the day and night, sometimes really loud. Seems like they come from the back of the unit. The sound is kind of like an electrical pop. My Freezer is no longer maintaining it's temp, as I find some items, like ice cream, have melted a little. I know my old unit is dying, and needs to be replaced. But that costs money. My concern is - if the sound is due to something electrical, can the unit malfunction and cause a fire??

• emmi331
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Elkies....I'd almost forgotten about starting this thread until I got an e-mail notification about your post! Anywho - 22 years!! That's a pretty grand old age for a fridge, though this may trigger posters telling me about their 30-year old fridges or whatever. My Frigidaire is now 4 years old and runs great, popping and all. I have to figure it's something benign. In fact, the fridge makes quite a few odd noises but there are no problems with it - maybe it's just "conversational". I recommend your starting a new thread for your question - and good luck!

• bagcoupons
    9 years ago

I know EXACTLY what you are describing. I have a Kitchen Aid fridge (model also avail under GE brand). Owned since 2009. A year ago it started making the "ping pong" sound (exactly how I describe it too). BUT only when the house temperature lowers. We thought for sure our fridge would bite the dust during the winter when it started in '13, but then as the weather and house warmed, the sound went away. Just this week 9/2014, temperatures lowered into the 50s-60s and, viola! It started again. I have had no luck determining the problem either. We've had no other issues with the appliance. My husband is a mechanic and he is stumped. I even put a video recorder at the bottom of the fridge last December to capture the noise when I wasn't home. Seemed to happen almost ever half hour. But no one can tell me anything. Sorry I'm no help. But it might help to know you are not crazy!!!

• emmi331
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bagcoupons! Now that you mention it, I have not heard the popping sounds this summer at all, so maybe it does have something to do with temperature. I'll see what happens when the temps begin to drop this year. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

• Jeanne Gersony
    8 years ago

I just bought a frigidaire gallery and mine makes this sound too!!!! Evertytime it cycles I hear it, is it normal??????? It's done it since it was first plugged in I think But the installers couldn't hook up my ice maker so I didn't really pay attention until my plumber friend came the next day to finish hookimg that up.

• judyb808
    8 years ago

I have the same issue with a PAIR of Frigidaire Gallery 20.4 cu.ft. fridges. Ping pong balls is about right. I kept thinking popcorn. Seems to go off about every hour. I HATE IT!

• mikenbruno
    8 years ago

Fridgaire why not tell your consumer that your fridge will indeed make noise but for good reasons, then and when someone decided to buy it anyways its understandable but if you hide the fact it makes noises your in for alot of grief and pain from all who buys it

• Victor Wilcox
    7 years ago

I had the same ping-pong / popping noises with a brand new Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator. I had to be persistent, but here is the notes from the Tech which DID FIX the noise completely.

Installed permanent noleak valve in system. Using a 3ft charging hose I added 51PSI dry NO2 as directed by manufacturer.

I think the above actions might have increased 'head pressure' but regardless, no more noise! I hope this helps others.

• bagcoupons
    7 years ago

Awesome...thanks for passing this on! Mine is still knocking away and I cringe every time i hear it. I pray for the warm weather to arrive because that's when it stops. Thx.

• littlegreeny
    7 years ago

I have a Frigidaire refrigerator and it makes the exact same sounds everyone describes. I think it's "normal" and assume it's just the refrigerant going through the system.

• teppehimer
    7 years ago

I also have a Frigidaire bottom freezer refrigerator. It's three years old. About 6 months ago it started to periodically make knocking sounds. It's definitely coming come the ice maker. I also notice that the ice cubes are smaller than when refrig was new. The knocking sound starts and continues for maybe 15 to 30 seconds then you can hear ice "break loose" and drop into the tray. It seems like the ice is getting hung up and doesn't freely fall into the tray. No clue how to fix. Very difficult access to check out the ice maker or to remove it (can't access the screw(s) or even be sure where both are. Haven't tried defrosting the freezer yet or checked water supply inlet.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

If it has to do with the deffrost, that is probably running more heavily during the summer so you may be hearing it now where you didn't in the cooler months, but if you are concerned, better to make a service call under warranty than worry about it or wish you had.

• James May
    7 years ago

sbleboff - Which Samsung fridge do you have? Seriously considering one of their 4 door french door fridges.

• sbleboff
    7 years ago

we have a basic French door with the icemaker in the freezer, nothing on the door.

• emmi331
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, everyone, it's now six years later, and I still have the same fridge. The popping sounds kind of come and go - I'm beginning to think they're just part of the fridge's personality - it also makes other odd sounds sometimes. At this point it's seven years old (I'd had it about a year when I made the original post), and still cools and freezes with great efficency. So I'm willing to put up with its noisy quirks, so long as it keeps running smoothly! Thanks for all your advice and input....

• PRO
    Service Tech
    7 years ago

its refrigerant boiling off in the evaporator. trying to find a solution myself to quiet or lesson the noise besides putting some form of sound batting in the freezer, the freezer box just acts like a megaphone for the popping. Frigidaire seems to be notorious for this noise lots of complaints.

emmi331 thanked Service Tech
  • dreamcatcher_39
    6 years ago

I have a popping sound that comes from my fridge every single night, and what bothers me is that its one loud pop at the exact same time 9:54 pm on the dot so it kinda freaks me out a bit, can anyone tell me if this could be normal ? Every thing else works fine on my 10 year old fridge, any advice would be helpful.

• Jakvis
    6 years ago

Some refrigerators use time based defrost timers and the unit will start the defrost cycle at the same time everyday.

New refrigerators use adaptive defrost which, without going into a lot of detail, somewhat measure the amount of frost on the coils and how fast it builds up then adapts the defrost times to match the speed of the frost build up.

• emmi331
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, everyone, as the OP I thought I'd bring you up to date. After nearly seven years this Frigidaire is still working, and working fine. It also makes all kinds of noises, from popping to sort of a grumble to the occasional clank. Maybe it's just a good "conversationalist" LOL!

• marjie short
    3 years ago

I'm going through this issue now with a 14 year old Kitchenaid side-by-side. Glad to see all of you fine folks are out there so I don't feel crazy. But then again, there's a whole group of people wanting to storm Area 51, too.

emmi331 thanked marjie short
  • HU-854114465
    3 years ago

Stay away from Frigidaire/Electrolux appliances, they are hazardous!!! They‘be burned up homes and killed people, due to poor engineering design, and they are aware of this. They know that they’re products have ruined people’s lives, murdered children, and yet they do nothing. There’s been numerous complaints over the years and they won’t make good on their word, and their products are defective especially their refrigerator/freezers. I have personally investigated 2 fires because of their negligence and the latest costed the lives of 3 people, 2 of whom were very young children, and for what??? They know about the design flaws, but they don't care!! Their bottom line is more important than the life of a human being. Shame on them!! So whatever you do... DON’T PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY AND SPREAD THAT WORD!!! There is also a possible class action lawsuit starting against them because of their negligent behavior. https://chimicles.com/electrolux-refrigerator-fire-class-action-investigation/

• emmi331
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I checked out this article about fires and Frigidaires; unfortunately they simply say "certain models" have had issues, but do not list which ones.

• HU-152529500
    3 years ago

This may be news to everyone but engineers design there products to fail within a time frame based on quality of material used and how it is put together. It's called a throw away society. It's all calculated in on the population and market share and how many of their products will be sold to make a set percentage profit for the year. Now I would engineer a product with the top tier quality materials (plastics, metal, etc) and put together not to fail. Now the product would cost you more up front but would last you 80% longer and would save you 40% more in the end cost.

• emmi331
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I believe this is called planned obsolescence, and I first heard the term decades ago.

Our electronic devices are rendered obsolete with a speed that would make a refrigerator blush.