Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new (induction) cooktop in old counter cutout

Posted by bosshogg (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 10:08

I had an AEG 30" induction cooktop installed in 2004. It recently died. Euro-line (in fact, Dierdre, who is still there!) will be happy to sell me another (updated model hk854220xb, replacing my 88100k), nine years later, for two thousand bucks plus another three hundred or so to ship to NYC.

$2300 is hard to swallow. If I were still living there (I moved out some years ago, and am renting it out now) I'd likely be tempted to look into a more advanced AEG (with "Maxisense" or bridgeable burners) from England, for half the price before shipping. As it is, I'm leaning toward getting another brand locally. Even at not-terribly-competitive American induction pricing, I can get something comparable for close to $1000 less.

Question is, how concerned should I be if the existing cutout is wider than the new cooktop calls for? Specifically, the cutout for my AEG is 29 1/2" x 19 5/16" (750 x 490 mm). The Bosch 300 series wants 28 3/4" x 20". It should be simple enough to extend the cutout a bit depth-wise - the counter is bamboo plywood, and can be cut easily. But is the extra 3/4" of width a problem? The Bosch, at 31" wide, will have no problem covering the 29.5" hole; is there any concern about it being properly supported by the wider cutout?

Otherwise, I'd probably go with a Frigidaire Gallery. Its cutout width is listed as just 1/8" more than the AEG's. Like the Bosch, the depth is greater so the cutout will need to be extended. But I suspect the Bosch is (and may be perceived as by potential buyers, when I sell) the better product.

Thanks,
Chuck (back on this site nine years after the kitchen reno)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new (induction) cooktop in old counter cutout

3/8" extra width on both sides won't be an issue with most cooktops as long as the counter surface is flat and level and the cooktop contacts it evenly all the way around. Wood does tend to warp a bit over time, so double check it in multiple dimensions. Be sure to seal the wood of the fresh cut, and you should be good to go to just drop it in.

o

If it won't show and anyone has doubts about weight, you can easily "picture frame" the cut out from below to keep the cooktop from shifting.

o

Cooktops don't weigh much(~35lbs) although things go up when they are loaded.
You can glue and screw the small fillers you need. The front and back will give enough support.
I would have a 'Maxisense' shipped from the UK.
The best quality at the best price.

o

You would want to ensure that a device designed for 50-Hz mains in the UK will operate without problem on 60-Hz US mains. Many electronics power supply designs can cope with the higher frequency, even if not deliberately so designed, but acceptability should be confirmed from company literature or service desk consultation.

kas

o

¡Muchas gracias, all!

Given that my current and future tenants aren't as appliance-crazed as I, and given that any induction cooktop (not to mention the Gaggenau oven, the serious range hood, etc.) is already a fairly over-the-top amenity in a Brooklyn rental apt, I'm not inclined to jump through extra hoops or make my tenants wait an extra week or two for an extra-super-special model shipped from Europe.

For my next place, though, when I finally manage to pry us out of my wife's Upper Central Side abode and back to Brooklyn (or its PNW cousin, Portland)... then yeah, I'm going that extra mile. Sadly the current place has woefully inadequate electrical capacity for induction, so we're stuck with gas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here