Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuck718

new (induction) cooktop in old counter cutout

Charles Anderson
10 years ago

I had an AEG 30" induction cooktop installed in 2004. It recently died. Euro-line (in fact, Dierdre, who is still there!) will be happy to sell me another (updated model hk854220xb, replacing my 88100k), nine years later, for two thousand bucks plus another three hundred or so to ship to NYC.

$2300 is hard to swallow. If I were still living there (I moved out some years ago, and am renting it out now) I'd likely be tempted to look into a more advanced AEG (with "Maxisense" or bridgeable burners) from England, for half the price before shipping. As it is, I'm leaning toward getting another brand locally. Even at not-terribly-competitive American induction pricing, I can get something comparable for close to $1000 less.

Question is, how concerned should I be if the existing cutout is wider than the new cooktop calls for? Specifically, the cutout for my AEG is 29 1/2" x 19 5/16" (750 x 490 mm). The Bosch 300 series wants 28 3/4" x 20". It should be simple enough to extend the cutout a bit depth-wise - the counter is bamboo plywood, and can be cut easily. But is the extra 3/4" of width a problem? The Bosch, at 31" wide, will have no problem covering the 29.5" hole; is there any concern about it being properly supported by the wider cutout?

Otherwise, I'd probably go with a Frigidaire Gallery. Its cutout width is listed as just 1/8" more than the AEG's. Like the Bosch, the depth is greater so the cutout will need to be extended. But I suspect the Bosch is (and may be perceived as by potential buyers, when I sell) the better product.

Thanks,
Chuck (back on this site nine years after the kitchen reno)

Comments (5)