Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchengirl67

36" range -which brand do you like best ?

kitchengirl67
9 years ago

i need to replace my 10 YO 36" thermador (it caught on fire & Thermador is dead to me) any thoughts on Blue Star, Dacor, or DCS 36" ranges. i could do either all gas or dual fuel. I'd love an effective preheat time. thermador was 35 min to get to 350 and that is way to long ! thanks in advance !

Comments (8)

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I have a Blue Star 36RNB with grill. I love it. Definitely faster than 30 minutes to get to 350. I am going to roast at 450 today and will try to remember to keep track of how long it takes to get there.

What I love most about the range are the open star-shaped cast iron burners and the fact that the range has no electronics to break. It's hard to overstate how much I love cooking on these burners. It's just a completely different experience than my previous closed burner range. Cooking has become really fun. And the simplicity of the mechanical controls is wonderful. I can't stand all that electronic stuff.

The oven is good. It is roomy and bakes evenly. The racks are nice. The broiler is awesome but too small. We have a grill though so I don't use the broiler much.

We have a second smaller Miele speed oven that we use a lot when we don't need to heat up the big oven. It has those electronics, though....

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I just preheated my 36" BS oven to 450 in 27 minutes.

I think it gets to 350 in about 20.

• malba2366
    9 years ago

I have been looking at pro ranges...not going to buy until next year when we reno the kitchen (I like to research and plan...). Of all I have seen I like the Capital Culinarian the best, I spent a couple hours at an appliance store playing with Wolf, Thermador, Capital, BS, Miele, Monogram...and the Culinarian felt the best built of the lot.
    I plan on driving up to Eurostoves in the spring to test it out, and if it's as good as Trevor says it is Im going to pull the trigger!

• teachmkt
    9 years ago

For faster preheat times a duel fuel with elec oven may be the best bet. We are doing a new kitchen and chose a Capital duel fuel ("Connoseurian" with open burners). Current range is 10 year old AG Wolf and despite the IR broiler gas allows, wanted more bells and whistles offered by Capital elec oven (at least by spec it also preheats faster). Looked at BS and like the burners, but the Capital won out on fit and finish, grill and oven. The Wolf was a good range, but it and some others seem behind on burners, especially for stirfry and pan broiling.

Malba: the trip to Eurostoves is well worth the time and cost.

• alexrander
    9 years ago

I think all large ovens are going to take some time to pre-heat. Even if Bluestar has a larger burner (30K) it also has a large oven cavity..

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I was curious, so I checked the pre heat time on my 36" RNB tonight. Took 25 minutes to get to 425... most recipes say to preheat before putting food in oven, but also most recipes have a fair amount of prep to be doing while the oven pre heats.

• teachmkt
    9 years ago

One thing we learned the hard way on preheat times with our gas wolf oven: the oven will hit 350F in about 15 minutes, but that is a function of the air in the oven being heated rather than the actual mass of the oven. Once the door is opened it would usually continue to preheat another 10 minutes before hitting the set temperature and able to hold that temp +/- 5F or so. Also at least the older wolf and bluestar are not that well insulated, especially around the door so apparently to maintain temperature the entire oven needs to be heated to the desired temperature. Going to 550F with a couple of pizza stones can take 40-50 minutes or more.

• nini804
    9 years ago

Honestly, we have had our 36" KA dual fuel for 3 years...and it is awesome. The oven cavity is large, but it doesn't take long at all to preheat. It has 4 gas burners and an electric griddle. It is very "beefy" and commercial looking. My friend who has a Wolf range stayed with us and did a little cooking...she said she thought our oven was better. Anyway, just wanted to throw out another brand for you to try.