Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amspinn

Appliances recommendations and matching??

Ann Marie Spinner
11 years ago

I am doing a remodel and looking for all new stainless appliances. In the new design(if I go with it) the counter depth french door refrig and wall oven-an advantium with another wall stove, are right next to each other. The appliance lady told me I should have them matching but I'd rather get the better appliance for me but I do want them all to look good together. She was pushing GE Profile. I want the advantium since I read reviews here and everyone loves it. Is the advantium profile or mongram the same inside but just different design? Also, I plan on getting a 30" or 36" induction, not sure yet.

If anyone can give me your thoughts, or any insight into appliances you have or could recommend, or that you think "go together", I would appreciate it! Seems very overwhelming!

Comments (27)

• wekick
    11 years ago

To some it is important to match. Most on this forum choose appliances by function. Get what you want whatever that is. The appliance lady is not going to be using your kitchen.

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

agree with wekick..get what works for you...

for reference we have:
    miele speed oven - under that a wolf "e" series single oven
    miele DW
    miele 36" induction cooktop
    liebherr 36" fully integrated frig

our DW and frig are paneled..not a fan of SS

the salesman thought our decision to stack speed oven and full size oven wouldn't look right...didn't give it a second thought.
    i did what i wanted---my kitchen, not his..
    couldn't care less about matching, not a matchy matchy person to begin with so it was an easy decision for me.

bottom line - function over form.

good luck!!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I have
    Miele Crystal SS (control panel on front)
    KITCHENAID KURG24 - Architect Series II undercounter fridge
    GE Profile bottom freezer/fridge
    and
    a mid 1980's magic chef gas stove...
    so no matchy here

• lwerner
    11 years ago

Hi sprtphntc,

Do you have any pictures of the Miele speed oven over the Wolf E oven? That's one of the combos I'm thinking of. I don't need my ovens to be perfectly matchy, but I don't want them to be totally ugly together either. How do yours look?

The other combos I'm thinking of are:
    - Wolf E series + GE monogram advantium. a2gemini has this combo and it looks pretty good. Great convection oven. I've heard good things about the Advantium, but I don't trust GE very much.

- All-Miele, which obviously matches. The oven is pretty nice, but not as quite as nice as as the Wolf. (dodge59, you don't need to post your Miele temperature thing again; I've seen it...)

Laura

• mike_73
    11 years ago

not matchy totally here either, I don't have all high end stuff like some here but it is all stainless steel and looks fine. I have a Kitchen Aid Architect II french door Fridge. Frigidaire Gallery range, whirlpool hood, a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher. The hood has no brand name on it. The dishwasher only on the integrated control panel. The range has the logo low on the oven door where it isn't that noticeable and the fridge it's in the upper corner so no one really is going to tell right off its not all the same brand appliance suite. The handle styles are close too so it blends well.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am leaning towards getting a advantium monogram and the wolf E series oven below. I want a counter depth french door refrig and I am not sure what refrig would coordinate since they will be right next to each other. Bringing in another manufacturer with other handles have me concerned but I don't want to sacrifice function for aesthetics. I want it to look good and function better! I guess I want everything!

• cj47
    11 years ago

My appliances aren't matched, either. I have a 36" Miele Induction cooktop and a Miele Inspira II dishwasher (discontinued model, half price). Electrolux wall ovens, and Electrolux Fridge. The fridge is right up next to the ovens, so that influenced my final decision, but I really liked the size and layout of the 'lux fridge, so it was sort of a good excuse to spend the extra money. :-) All of the appliances are working out well for us. Like pretty much everyone else, I love cooking with induction. I have a 36 inch and like having the extra room, even when I'm not using all 5 burners at once. Whether you would be happier with a 30" depends on how you cook, and how much counter space you have to give it. The Miele dishwasher works better than any dishwasher I've ever had, and it's quiet to boot. Wolf is a good name in ovens and the people I know who have them, love them, so I don't think you'd go wrong with a Wolf.

Best of luck.
    Cj

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I have mixed appliances also
    Elux Fridge
    Miele DW
    Advantium 240 Monogram
    Wolf E series
    Wolf Induction

Here are the ovens

And the rest of the run which shows the ovens and fridge

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini--thank you so much for the pics! I definitely feel better seeing the handles on the advantium, wolf oven and electrolux refig somewhat matching. If I go with the KD plan, my refrig and ovens will be right next to each other, so I may go with the elux wall oven also so it's only 2 dif manufacturers next to each other. I wanted to get the french door counter depth refrig but someone on this forum said that she had that and her oven had dents from the refrig handles.

Since you have the appliances I'm considering, would you put them next to each other and think they look fine??

• ca_mom
    11 years ago

No matching here...went for quality and bargains. I mixed Electrolux, KA, and Miele but made sure all had similar handles, all crescents. No one has noticed they're not related. Regarding fridge next to oven, the only issue I've had is my kid opening the freezer into the ajar oven and scratching the fridge. (Oh well...lived in is good.)

• lwerner
    11 years ago

Those of you with fridges next to ovens: Are they right next to each other, with the fridge up against the side of the oven cabinet? Or did you have to put in a small spacer to leave room for the fridge doors to open?

Thanks!

Laura

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

lwerner:

email me a i can send u a pic..still having a hard time uploading pics here...i know, its pathetic :(

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Let me look when back home.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I looked and I would be fine with the plan. The different shape would be ok.
    2 other points- one as posted above- make sure enough clearance for the fridge handles.
    Second - heat machine and cold machine next to each other- would wonder about how that would effect efficiency.
    Do you have a landing spot next to oven and fridge?

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini- Yes, for a landing spot, I would either turn to the right for counter space, or to the left would be the island for another landing spot. The KD said that I would need a a space between the two appliances-I think about 3". I am now wondering if I should go with the one door fridge, over the french door so that way I know it won't be dented.

Anyone else have any other ideas, thoughts?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love my FD fridge. Hopefully you can make it work. I wonder if Elux had any different handles?

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi Cookingbuff,

Here's a great thread from when I asked the same question. There are definitely some people who prefer matching, but it seems like most often, it's the salesperson pushing for a matching suite.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1013523511177.html

Based on the advice of GWers, I ended up with appliances that I love, each for it's own function. In the end, a kitchen that's designed with the kind of thought people in this forum put into it will look wonderful as long as all the appliances have the same basic finish (meaning all stainless, etc., sometimes with the exception of a range in a fun accent color, of course).

I ended up with:

Wolf DF Range
    Kenmore Elite 30" Wall Oven
    Miele diamond DW
    Viking freestanding fridge
    Kenmore Elite micro, would love to switch it for the new Viking steam oven/micro combo

Have fun!!

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini - I am going to see if the Elux fridge have different handles. I just know that with the wolf wall oven handles and the GE advantium handles being different, even though they look fine together, I am a bit hesitate to introduce another manufacturer since they will be right next to each other.

Madeline- Glad you love your appliances. I can only hope I do too!

• lwerner
    11 years ago

> Yes, for a landing spot, I would either turn to the right for counter space,
    > or to the left would be the island for another landing spot.

That makes sense to me. I won't have any counter space next to my fridge and will be using the island in front of it as landing space. In my current house's galley kitchen I use the counter across from the fridge as the landing space even though I do have a counter next to the fridge, so that should be fine.

For the oven, I do like having a bit of counter right next to it, so I can slide a tray out and set it right on the counter. A stovetop next to the oven is great as landing space too.

In the new house I'm putting the fridge on the end of that wall, the oven just to its left, and then counter space (including cooktop) to the left of the oven. That way I get a side landing zone for the oven, plus landing zones for both on the island across from that cabinet run.

> The KD said that I would need a a space between the two appliances-I think about 3".

Thanks for checking on that. I need to ask my KD about it too. I've had my rough design settled for a while. (He was surprised at how little work he had to do thanks to all you folks! :-) Now we're figuring out the details like exact sizes and configurations, so things like spacers are starting to matter.

Laura

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

There are some after market appliance pulls also

I don't know much about them but have seen them in catalogs.

Good luck and let us know your decision.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini- thanks for letting me know about the aftermarket appliance pulls. I never knew they sold them--another benefit of GW. Since you have the appliances I am looking at, in your opinion, would the Elux fridge look good next to your ovens, or do you think the handles are too different? I look at the appliance websites and I really can't see the handles that well. I need to go back to the appliance store! Thanks for your opinion.

Anyone else??

• dodge59
    11 years ago

I have The Elux Icon Oven and Speed oven & wine fridge, (Over 5 years now) and we really like them, all trouble free.

We have a Jenn-Air 48" built in and paneled Fridge. I bought the handles for the Elux Fridge and installed them on the Jenn-air, so all our handles match, even the Miele Optima Dishwasher handle which has a smaller version of the same curved handle that is on the Elux appliances.

Gary

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gary-did you buy the handles online or where? So you have all Elux handles on your appliances?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I think it is person dependent. They are different but probably would not bother me

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini- thanks for your opinion. I will look at them again at the appliance store. I believe the appliances are much harder to pick out than the cabinets!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

The decisions keep popping up.
    Counter installer- do you want a positive oxr negative reveal?
    GC - have u picked your backsplash yet
    Tiler - now which grout do you want?
    Etc
    Where do you live. If close, you could come take a look.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini- I live on eastern Long Island. I will send you an email. Thanks again for your time and input.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler