Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
udaykiran82

rangetop vs cooktop(wolf)

Uday Madireddy
9 years ago

Hi All,

After doing lot of research and reading forums and post by lot of others,We have narrowed down to wolf 36'' 6 burner gas rangetop(3800$) vs 36'' 5 burner cooktop(2100$) for our new home.

Range top- 5 big burners and 1 small burner
cooktop- 1 big burner,1 medium burner and 3 small burners.

We cook almost everyday and entertain couple of times a month but not for big crowd(maybe 10-15).

We have seen both and me and my wife like the cooktop but was thinking does it make sense to spend extra 1700$ and go for rangetop or will cooktop do as we don't want to repent later thinking we picked the wrong choice.

if we pick cooktop for the hood we are planning to go with 500cfm blower and 22'' depth hood

If we pick rangetop for the hood we are planning to go with 600cfm and 24'' depth hood.

Are our choices of hood ok or should be go with 600cfm and 24'' depth for cooktop also.

Can folks offer their suggestions as we need to make our choices soon to submit to builder.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

So do you mean you are deciding between ...

A cooktop and wall oven

Vs a range top?

Or will you have a wall oven in either case? Or double wall ovens?

Because I think your question usually has to do more with layout or how many ovens you want?

• Uday Madireddy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks akchicago for such detailed explanation.I think this will help me and wife decide on the rangetop vs cooktop.
    I will go with 24'' depth in hood and would 500cfm do or is it better to go with 600 cfm..just wanted to avoid repentance later trying to save 200$ now :)
    I assume you meant duct cover (8'') as wolf guy said he is giving us 12'' for my configuration.

• Uday Madireddy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mtnrdredux for your reply..
    We will have single combi steam wall oven in either case with convection microwave.

Our whole question is regarding selection between rangetop vs cooktop.

• mjocean
    9 years ago

Hi,
    We have the 36" Wolf range top and love it. The extra real estate the range top provides comes in very handy. Akchicago's point that the range top will be much easier to replace due to its standard sizes is a good one; we actually didn't consider that at time of purchase and now we're even happier with our decision.
    We have a 24" deep 900 CFM which is 42" wide. It was suggested to us to get a blower that is 3" wider on each side for better coverage.
    Best of luck,
    MJ

• Uday Madireddy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks MJ ,after akchicago and your comments now I am seriously considering the range top.

I will keep you updated once I talk to my wife.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Wolverine82 - I did not mean the duct cover. I mean the exhaust duct that connects the hood to the outside. The duct that the air is pulled through to eventually pipe to the outside. Your hood specs will state what diameter the duct needs to be. It is most commonly 8" for a 600 cfm hood. A more powerful hood of e.g. 1200 cfms will usually specify a 10" duct. If your exhaust duct diameter is smaller than what your hood specifies. you will have increased noise and decreased efficiency through no fault of the hood. Often that is why a hood will be quiet in one person's home, and the same hood will be noisy in another home - it's the ductwork. As I said before, since you are building a home, it should be easy to get the correct duct diameter installed. However, many builders "default" to a 6" diameter exhaust duct. You should clarify with your builder that your exhaust duct diameter --I.e the duct that carries the smoke and grease from your cooktop/rangetop out of your home--should be 8" diameter.

• Uday Madireddy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks akchicago for the detail.
    I will check with my builder first thing tomorrow about this.Really appreciate such a good and detailed input.

• whocareswhoiam
    9 years ago

Did you go with the range top? Did you install 8" duct and did you install the motor on the roof or where? Also, it was interesting comment made that a 42" hood was suggested for a 36" range top - what size did you end up installing? We are going through this decision process now cooktop vs range top. We do like the M series Double Oven. How do you like your Wolf range top/ovens? Our home was not built with a duct, so those that got a 6" duct were luckier than us who only got a recirculating vent hood. Now that we want to replace GE Profile with high btu stovetop...we need to install. We will meet with the contractor to discuss installation. Any suggestions are more than welcome and appreciated!!!!!!!!!

• Nisha Sheth
    2 years ago

What did you end up getting and how do you like it? We are on same situation right now. Thanks