Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabigabatini

Any ever replaced their oven's glass-ceramic cooktop?

sabigabatini
10 years ago

I haven't called my appliance center yet, but I'm thinking about doing this depending on the price.

My SO scratched one of the burners badly enough that it can't be filled/wiped away. I'm so raving upset....

Just wondering if anyone's done this and how it went and if the cost was worth it.

My oven is a GE Profile oven/convection with glass ceramic top.

Comments (6)

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

When I was looking to replace the glass on my Frigidaire cooktop the glass alone was $260. I never did do it. As to whether it's worth it, I guess that depends on how visible it is (without hood lights on, when you're not using it?) If it's not going to bother anyone but you I'd live with it and be almost relieved you got the first blemish out of the way and don't have to obsess so much over keeping it pristine. ;)

By the way, how did you do it? I'm convinced my new range is far more sensitive than my old cooktop. My mom's GE shows zero signs of use from (I'm guessing) about 5 years of daily use, my old Frigidaire was good until I broke a corner off, but my new Bosch seems to get a new permanent blemish every time I use it. I'm so over it, and it's only 2.5 months old.

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

You Tube has a lot of basic hints on changing the Ceran cooking surface and changing actual burners too. If yours is more modern, it might require a special screwdriver or two as well. Poke around and see if something like yours is shown being worked on.
    This might be worth trying first
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb0pvAxlZx4

Here is a link that might be useful: Working on stove burners

This post was edited by laat2 on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 17:23

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

foodonastump, it happened because my boyfriend shook a cast iron skillet on it. He used to be a professional chef so you can imagine how incredulous I was that he did this. It was no 'accident'!!

I've had this cooktop for 7 years without even a hint of a scratch. I've been super careful with it and it has seemed very durable. So this episode was really the pits to see.\ :-(

Laat2, I will look at the video but I'm not very good with DIY stuff of this sort.

I think a new top would cost nearly $1000 so I'm leaning toward not doing it.

Someone mentioned using a kind of motor oil which can reduce the visibility of scratches, I may look into that first.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

I don't think it will be anywhere near $1000, but call. They should be able to quote over the phone.

I watched one of the videos Laat2 posted, and a suggested video under it shows how to get rid of scratches using metal polish. Can't hurt to try.

Shaking cast iron (Griswold and Lodge) didn't affect by old cooktop but superficially. I wouldn't try it on my new range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal polish

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will try both.

As for shaking the cast iron on the glass ceramic top, it's always possible there was some salt underneath or ? who knows

• danni_in_pdx
    10 years ago

What did you end up doing? My "big" burner in my Kitchenaide 36" cooktop went out and when the guy pulled it out to replace the element.... he cracked the whole thing in two pieces, with a shrug and a "it must have had a crack'. There was NO crack, I clean it all the time, so I get good and close to it. Likewise, the repair is $615 for new top, labor and the originally needed element. A whole new cooktop is 1300ish. Not sure what to do. I actually took out a gas cooktop to put it in, bc I had young children and one with a disability and felt it was safer under those circumstances, but I love mine. Stays so clean, not forever lifting heavy burners to clean all the crud out under them. I for sure am staying smooth top, but not sure whether to buy a new unit or repair.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling