Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamamia44

Negotiating price on GE 48 inch range

mamamia44
11 years ago

ANY advice, comments or experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (8)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

The only GE 48" ranges are GE Monogram.

Monogram is a price controlled line.

The UMRP or "Contractor Price" is the rock bottom price allowed by GE.IF a dealer sells below that price they risk losing their Monogram dealership. Virtually every dealer is willing to sell you a range at "Contractor Price" and may be willing to let you see the price book to confirm. If you go shopping from dealer to dealer you are likely to hear the same number again and again.

Exceptions are scratch n dent,floor models,and discontinued models.Or if the store is going out of buisness and does not care about losing Monogram dealership.

Then again Monogram is not a hot seller so you may be able to get 20-35% off of floor model,scratch n dent,or discontinued model.

Before buying GE I would look through this forum and read threads about Bluestar RNB and Capital Culinarian ranges.These ranges offer superior cooking performance.

• mamamia44
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input, I just can't believe the price increases they
    have been taking. I'm leaning towards the GE because it has the
    largest oven capacity.

• mamamia44
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input, I just can't believe the price increases they
    have been taking. I'm leaning towards the GE because it has the
    largest oven capacity.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Take your bakeware,baking sheets,and roaster to the appliance showroom.

See if you can fit something in the Monogram that you can't fit in either the BS or the CC.

I bet you can't.

Some of that space is unuseable verticle space and and another large portion is verticle space no one really uses in the real world.

Bluestar 36" RNB Oven Width 29"x Depth 20"x H 15"
    CC 36" Oven Width 27" W X 21" D x H 14" .

You can fit full size professional baking sheets and 40 qt stock pot.

Monogram 36" Oven 28.25" W x 19" Depth x 16 3/8" H

You can fit full size professional baking sheets and 50 qt stock pot.

Both will fit the same number of regular size pans, like loaf pans or dutch ovens. Both will fit biggest roasters.

Question is do you need to stick something in the oven larger than a 40 qt stock pot? Like a 50 qt stock pot. That is the only advantage I see to the bigger oven,if you can use the extra 1 3/8" of height. If not you are just wasting time and gas heating up space you don't use. Natural gas is cheap but my time is not:)

IMO chances are you can use the extra depth of the CC or BS better than the extra height of the Monogram oven.

• mamamia44
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the suggestions, will do!

• taggie
    11 years ago

I have the Monogram 48" and quite like it. I didn't compare the CC, but did compare to the Blue Star before buying and chose Monogram for a couple of reasons.

(Okay honestly my initial hesitation was there aren't a lot of BlueStar dealers near me and I didn't get a good vibe from the salesman at either of the two BS dealers I checked out -- that's just a local concern which won't apply if you have better dealers near where you live.)

That alone wouldn't have stopped me, but then I read several reports of how hot the oven exteriors get. I roast veggies every night for dinner and didn't want to stand in front of hot ovens every night. The Monogram oven exteriors stay cool to the touch while roasting veggies at 425, and I get zero heat from them while working in front of them at the burners and grill.

Very happy with my Monogram range overall, the ovens are great and I *love* the full extension racks (IIRC BS has those too), and the burners simmer perfectly which is important to me. I love the Monogram grill as well.

The one thing I don't like about the Monogram is the griddle, which sucks rocks in my opinion. BS and CC may have a better grill that is easier to keep seasoned without going gummy all the time; that's my only real complaint about the Monogram.

• wkearney99
    11 years ago

What about the griddle is a problem? I'm about to get the GE and was considering the 6 burner and griddle setup.

• taggie
    11 years ago

wkearney99, I just could not get the griddle to season no matter what I did. I tried with various kinds of vegetable oil (safflower, canola, olive) many different times following the instructions -- brush on just ever so lightly (1 tsp for the whole griddle), turn on to 350 for approx 1/2 hr until it starts to smoke, let cool, repeat. All I got for my efforts each time was a gooey, sticky, gross surface that was anything but non-stick.

Then I tried just using some butter and doing pancakes. The pancakes cooked fine but the griddle still didn't stay seasoned and I ended up having to clean down to scratch again with a grill stone and start over. After trying about half a dozen times I just gave up, put the cover on the damn thing, and now I use my frypan with cooking spray like I used to.

So I wish I'd just gone with 6 burners and the grill since the griddle is just a waste of space.

I should mention that your mileage may vary as perhaps (?) it depends on what you use it for. We don't eat bacon or sausage or other such foods that might have allowed it to season better over time. I don't know. I make a protein pancake every morning for breakfast and the thought of just throwing it on the griddle and then having a quick scrape/clean afterwards instead of washing the pan was compelling. That's the reason we went with the griddle. But no dice, it doesn't work. So I'm back to the old way of a frypan and cooking spray while the griddle just takes up space.