Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Lacanche Ranges Part 45

kitchendetective
9 years ago

Because someone had to start this thread.
I've been reading the comments on the other Lacanche thread, which I wish were incorporated into this one, and now I am having second thoughts about ordering one (was thinking of ordering after the New Year, awaiting induction information). I do not want to battle to turn on the oven, and I do not want burning hot knobs, especially since this range is planned for an area guests will be using. I have seen three such comments, plus a comment from someone trying to sell me a Cornue Fe 1908, which I initially discounted as part of a a sales pitch.
Edited to add a link to the other Lacanche thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aux. Lacanche Thread

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 8:51

Comments (179)

• HeatherInOR
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Love reading about everyone's ranges. I've ordered the Cluny 1400 with two 11k, French plate, 15 and 5k and two induction burners. Should arrive first week of June!! I can't wait to experiment!

• TwoBelles
    7 years ago

So excited to finally be able to post on this thread as an owner and not just lurk and drool! HeatherInOR, congratulations on your purchase! You will love your new range! Ours just arrived with the induction burners and I love them!

• gardener2014
    7 years ago

Congratulations HeatherInOR, please post pictures and let us know when your Cluny arrives. What color did you get?

• Janice B
    7 years ago

Wow everyone has beautiful kitchens on this thread. Our Lacanche Beaune will arrive in a couple of months or less and I'm wondering if anyone here has the ivory with a white shaw sink? I'm wondering if the white will be too blue white compared to ivory range but a biscuit sink seems more risky if they don't quite match?

• tsessel
    7 years ago

I can't help you with the color but I wanted to share my excitement that someone else has a Beaune! I don't have a big kitchen so I really couldn't go any bigger. I absolutely LOVE it!

• Janice B
    7 years ago

So beautiful tsessel ! And look at all that you are cooking at once in there. I'm very excited for it to arrive.

• tsessel
    7 years ago

It's amazing how much fits in this "small" range. I had an old, standard American stove before this with only 3 burners that worked and one very uneven cooking oven. Now I can't imagine even needing anything bigger! I was all worried about the small oven sizes but now a big standard American oven seems so weird to me. It seems like very few people have a Beaune so I'll be interested to hear how you like it!

• NoryW
    7 years ago
    I have a Beaune coming soon, too, and I'm soooo excited! tsessel, which of the two ovens do you use more often?
  • tsessel
    7 years ago

I honestly don't know! I think I use them both equally. I bake a lot and love being able to use both at the same time. But the feature I use the most, without question, is the portable griddle. I use it every single day!

• HeatherInOR
    7 years ago

Janice marie there's several ivory lacanche white sink kitchens:). Patina farm has a beautiful one. I've also seen beauties on Instagram- attached.

Gardener 2014 thank you! I ordered black with standard trim.

twobelles-- I'd love to see a pic! Did you get a combination gas induction?

• Janice B
    7 years ago

Thank you HeatherinOR it is so helpful to see real life pictures. I'm reassured the white sink will be just fine. I'm wondering if anyone who has an ivory lacanche might share what colour they painted their cabinets? We have to make this decision before the range arrives so I would love any feedback. I'm looking to us an ivory or cream colour.

• TwoBelles
    7 years ago

Hi janicemarie! We used Kelly Moore Antique White by Sherwin Williams and it is almost a dead on match to the Ivoire for Lacanche. You might try a sample of that color and see how you like it.

• Janice B
    7 years ago

twobelles thank you so much! Would you be so kind as to share a picture? I hope you are enjoying your new range

• Shin
    7 years ago

Hi I'm about to order a Lacanche, but I'm still undecided which one. I've read all the threads which are still available about Lacanche (the older ones seem no longer available). I've read that the larger oven takes about 10min to get to temperature. What about the smaller ovens, how long do they take to get to let's say 400F? And how usefull is the broiler oven? Another question I have is about whether to get a built in grill plate or take two burners with a portable grill plate? I've read a lot about the portable one, but not much about the built in one. Any comments on that? Thanks

• gardener2014
    7 years ago

I would recommend you contact Art Culinaire and speak with them regarding your specific cooking needs. They are most helpful. I do have the petite broiler oven and use it often. It is great for roasting vegetables. My husband likes it to make his cornbread in. If you have room, then highly recommend the warming cabinet. Good luck.

• TwoBelles
    7 years ago
    Hi Shin! I can't comment on the petite broiler oven since I don't have that, but I do find that my large ovens do heat to temperature very quickly. In fact, I have had to adjust my cooking times because my older ovens apparently were not really at temp when they said they were. As a result, by cooking some of my standard recipes for the same length of time, they have been over cooked. A probe in my new Lacanche ovens confirm they are the correct temps. I would say my gas oven reaches temp in 7-8 minutes and my electric within 10 minutes. I am also a big fan of the warming cupboard. We use it several
    Evenings a week for my sweet husband, who often arrived home after
  • Shin
    7 years ago

Thank you Gardener2014 and Twobelles, I'm in the Netherlands and have quite a lot of info from seller here. Was just curious about user's experience :). I'm looking at the Chagny 1800/Sully 1800, so will have a warming cupboard (yay). Already convinced about that one. With the Chagny, I'm wondering if I'll miss a large oven and with the Sully I'm wondering if I'll miss the broiler and whether the two large ovens aren't going to be overkill... My ideal would be one large, one small and a broiler, but they don't exist. I know I'm in a very luxury position, so no complaints, just pondering the best solution for my cooking preferences.

• jenniebrewer
    7 years ago

What a thread(s)! This thread has been super helpful for me as I look into purchasing a Lacanche for a new build. DH keeps teasing me about how many hours I've put into researching a range. :) I met with a local ambassador here in Nashville, TN yesterday, and it was so helpful. I'm hoping to gain a little more knowledge here. I'm looking at either the Sully or the Cluny 1400. I have a big family and cook most every night, so double ovens are a must. I was originally thinking the Sully, but now that I've read through these threads, I'm thinking the warming cupboard would be really helpful? Here's what I'm trying to decide - do I get the Sully and have a separate warming drawer put in the kitchen somewhere, or do I get the Cluny and have a 30" wall oven installed? While we don't eat frozen pizza often, DH certainly serves it when I'm out of town, and I don't want my range to keep me homebound forever. ;) Other than pizzas, do those of you with the smaller ovens find it difficult? Those with these models, what are your thoughts? Also, I'm trying to decide between the french plate and the plancha? (Assuming I going with the Classique top). Can anyone speak to cleaning the plancha? Thanks for the help!!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

I was in your same position trying to decide between the Sully and the Cluny 1400. I also have a big family, four teens and we entertain almost every weekend. I went with the Cluny 1400 and after having owned it and used from almost 2 years, I am fully satisfied with my decision. The warming oven is fantastic! It holds way more than I would have imagined.

I also love the double ovens, I have one gas and one electric. We use the electric oven the most. The oven size has not been an issue for me. I actually prefer the smaller oven over the larger American ovens. They cook better and I don't feel like I'm heating more space than is needed. I can fit even my largest dutch ovens and large cast iron skillets in them. You are correct about frozen pizza, I've bought the large ones from Whole Foods a couple of times and I've had to cut them in half to fit the in the oven. I don't find this to be an issue though as we also don't do frozen or prepared pizza often. And you have to cut it either way, so it might as well be before it is cooked!

Holidays are a breeze with the Cluny 1400. Once a dish is ready to come out of the oven or off the stove, I stick it in the warming oven. I use the gas oven for my turkeys which range from 16-20 lbs. I now serve fully hot meals on holidays something that was a challenge before I had my Lacanche!

I got the portable French Plate because I wanted the flexibility of having the seven burners as well. I also have a portable grill plate that I owned before I bought the Launch, which I also use. I recommend this set up because although I like and use the French Plate often there are times when I just need to ability to use all the burners. I would recommend that you consider getting extra 11,000 BTU burners, I've got four and I am often using three or more of them at the same time. I have the Classique burner that is great for cooking pasta, boiling potatoes and stir fry. I also have one 15,000 and one 5,000 BTU.

I hope this answered your questions! Good luck with your decision!

• jenniebrewer
    7 years ago

Thank you Corie!! This is very helpful. Is the portable French plate the same thing as the portable simmer plate that comes with the range? I'm assuming so? And, could anyone speak to the benefit of the classique vs the traditional? So many decisions!!

• Martin Markovitz
    7 years ago

I have a Vougeot which means one large oven and I have a warming cabinet that I also highly recommend. I did not like the idea of the Cluny ovens where you have to load the larger pans into the oven with the pan handles front and back instead of side to side as is normal for me. Since I did not have room on the wall for a larger range, I added the highest quality 90cm multifunction wall oven I could find. This way I had the Lacanche and in the wall oven a rotisserie for some excellent roasted chickens, pizza function with a stone bottom, an oven light and window so I can see my souffles rise without opening the door and other combinations of top, bottom and ventilated heat. My Lacanche is convection only so the wall oven is where I go for non-ventilated cooking. This has worked out very well for me. The Lacanche has dual fans for convection and cooks a little better than my wall oven.

I worked with French tops for years when I was a line cook in Manhattan. I do not need one full time so I asked for the Classique top. I have a portable griddle plate (Is that the same as the plancha?) and it does the job of the Traditional top very well when needed. We are in a warm climate so having a large piece of hot metal on during the summer was another reason we went portable.

• Shin
    7 years ago

I don't have a lacanche (yet), but after all the research I've done I know that the portable simmer plate is not the same as the griddle plate. The simmer plate has two holes. I haven't been able to find whether you can put something on them or whether you need to keep them uncovered with pans to get better circulation perhaps? With the French top the middle gets warmest as it has the burner in the middle. With the portable simmer plate you have the option to turn on one or two burners and depending on what burners you have they can be anything from 5/11 or 15BTU. The built in FT is somewhat wider than the portable one. Another difference might be that you cannot cook on the portable simmer plate, whereas you can obviously on the portable grill plate. The difference between de portable grill plate and La Plancha is that the first will be warmed with gas, whereas the La Plancha is heated electrically. In that sense I'm told it will be like iron. When it gets to maximum temperature, it will temporarily loose heat and warm up again after a little while to maintain maximum temperature, but not exceed it. Because is is heated electronically, the plate remains in good condition. I've seen one which has been used frequently and it still looks near mint condition. The way to clean it to wait till temperature is lukewarm, put some water over it and wipe down. A little scraping with scraper might be required, but you shouldn't use anything abrasive on it. As the portable griddle is heated with gas, there is a higher chance things might stick to it, especially if not seasoned/maintained well.

Personally I'm inclined to go with the FT and not the portable. But I have to admit a big factor for wanting the FT is because it just looks so beautiful. It's that or the built in grill plate, but I've had several people recommend not taking it, as apparently it gives the same smoke as when you would BBQ something. That is why I've asked if anybody had any experience with it and what they would recommend. I haven't been able to find much people comment on the built in grill. Any additional comments much appreciated.

• MaggieB
    6 years ago

Our griotte red Lacanche Cluny 1400 was finally installed in our new build yesterday. From left to right we have 2 15Ks, 2 11Ks, French Plate, 1 5K and 1 15K. The only problem is I have wait 10 days to use it!

Kitchen Build Choices · More Info

Kitchen Build Choices · More Info

• TwoBelles
    6 years ago

Absolutely perfect! Enjoy her,

• gardener2014
    6 years ago

Beautiful, have fun cooking.

• tknx
    6 years ago

Hi all... we are seriously considering a Sully or Cluny 1400.

Couple of questions:

1. Multi-cooker? Worth it?

2. Can you run the convection oven option as a straight oven? Or do the fans always run?

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    6 years ago

Hello tknx,

I dont think there are many Lacanche owners with a multicooker here on Houzz just yet. It is however an option that we find more and more popular since it was introduced in North America, and for good reason. You can use it to boil pasta, steam vegetables or fish, keep your food warm before serving, melt chocolate, etc... It's certainly a great tool to explore your culinary creativity as well as simply perform the more "basic" tasks.

To answer your second question, yes, the convection ovens on Sully come with a switch to turn the fan on / off as desired. We normally do not recommend the convection option on Cluny 1400 as the fan takes about 2" of space at the back of the oven. It is still spacious enough for most cookware, but some larger pieces that would fit in the "straight electric oven" may not fit in the convection oven because of this.

Cheers,

Patrick

• TwoBelles
    6 years ago

Hi tknx!

We received our Sully 2200 with the multi-cooker in February. I absolutely love it! I have used it for pasta, for steaming and for keeping items warm for serving. I think it is an extremely helpful tool. I would be hard pressed to say it's my favorite item on the range, bc I LOVE LOVE LOVE my warming cupboard (game changer) and also the induction hob. But it is a very handy and functional piece. I feel pretty certain I am only touching the tip of the ice berg in what it can do, but I am definitely rethinking some of my technique to incorporate it more. (for instance, steaming veggies in the MC vs. the microwave.) I am impressed with how quickly it brings water to boil and in how consistently it holds the temps over several hours of serving. Given the way my Lacanche is configured, I find that I really don't need any other small kitchen appliances except for my mixer and my juicer. Oh, and my coffee maker...... #morninggoodness.

The MC does take some learning time, though. I think that theoretically you could use it for frying, but I can't imagine the clean up involved in changing the oil out. I find any water changes to be fairly easy and Brian in the Seattle office was wonderful in talking it through with me. If you are going to order the MC, I would highly recommend that you order the additional cutting board. It fits over the MC when it is off and really offers some valuable work space.

One consideration would also be that you need to plan for space to store all of the MC inserts. There are multiple inserts (open baskets for pasta, closed trays for warming items, etc) and they do take up quite a bit of cabinet space.

The bottom line for me is that the MC was worth the space on the range. My configuration from l to r is: MC, (2) gas burners (this one always has my griddle on it), Classique burner, (2) gas burners, (2) gas burners, induction hob. While I do have a larger range with a number of burners, I would give up some gas function for the MC. TBH, I have more gas burners than I need for the way I cook because I find that I use the induction hob all the time. This is probably blasphemy, but surprisingly I find I am often using the induction hob at one end and the MC at the other end and using the grates for prep and rest space. But that could also be a function of it being so hot and humid in the summer. I'll probably need an addendum to that in December. ;) Hope this wasn't too much rambling, but If you have specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them for you. HTH!

• Marina Moehring
    6 years ago

You got exactly the one I would have picked! Congratulations!

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Congratulations! That is a gorgeous range. I am getting one (from PO) in my new house. I wish I had your configuration!

• TwoBelles
    6 years ago

What a beauty! You will enjoy for many years to come! :)

• Martin Markovitz
    6 years ago

Congratulations! I still remember visiting mine at a warehouse while I waited for the house to be completed. It seemed like forever!

• tknx
    6 years ago

I think we are narrowing down to a Savigny.... Decided to keep it somewhat simple.

Although the perfect oven would be a combo Sully large oven with a Cluny small oven. It would be 48" so it would fit in a standard US slot. No idea why they don't make that.

• tsessel
    6 years ago

Wow! That's a bigger version of mine (Beaune) and how great that you can now get an induction burner! Interested in hearing how you like it-be sure to check back in once it's in! And I uncrated and re-crated too, I was petrified something was going to happen to it as it was in my garage for 4 months. I was sure a mouse would chew through wires or something, or the humidity would discolor it, but it was fine.

• Martin Markovitz
    6 years ago

To anyone comparison shopping Lacanche to other brands. My Lacanche Sully sized convection oven (in my Vougeot) cooks extremely well. I have an expensive wall oven that cooks well and does fancy things but in straight baking cook-off the Lacanche wins hands down. The reason? Two fans. The hot air is distributed so evenly that to my surprise, I mostly do not have to turn trays. It usually is much hotter by the fan and will get darker near where the heat comes from in single fan ovens since the heating elements are usually wrapped around the fan. The Lacanche convection ovens also cook faster than your recipes say so watch out. Great stuff. I believe that all Lacanche convection ovens are double fan except I am not sure about the Cluny sized ovens. The vertical ovens are double fan ovens. They should really tout this advantage more. It makes a big difference and makes Lacanche special.

• Martin Markovitz
    6 years ago

To anyone comparison shopping Lacanche to other brands. My Lacanche Sully sized convection oven (in my Vougeot) cooks extremely well. I have an expensive wall oven that cooks well and does fancy things but in straight baking cook-off the Lacanche wins hands down. The reason? Two fans. The hot air is distributed so evenly that to my surprise, I mostly do not have to turn trays. It usually is much hotter by the fan and will get darker near where the heat comes from in single fan ovens since the heating elements are usually wrapped around the fan. The Lacanche convection ovens also cook faster than your recipes say so watch out. Great stuff. I believe that all Lacanche convection ovens are double fan except I am not sure about the Cluny sized ovens. The vertical ovens are double fan ovens. They should really tout this advantage more. It makes a big difference and makes Lacanche special.

• Shin
    6 years ago

@MartinMarkovitz, I didn't need any more convincing and I'm ready to order mine this week, but it's always nice to hear it will be a good choice :)

• denagerb
    6 years ago
    Hi, so I keep meaning to post a detailed review of my new Lacanche on here but I'm still waiting for my husband to finish the kitchen so I can post a picture along side it! Lol...in the mean time I'm looking for a little advice on how everyone is cleaning their burner caps and also the (what I am assuming is cast aluminum??) "collars" that go underneath the caps? The rest of the range I have no problem keeping clean but I would love to be able to keep those looking great as well and the best I can do is ok ...thanks in advance!
  • TwoBelles
    6 years ago

IF you are in the US, I have used Brasso to keep the burner caps polished. But, TBH, that level of commitment only lasted a few weeks. Now I'm embracing that patina...... :)

• denagerb
    6 years ago
    Lol! I am happy to "embrace the patina" we even put in an unlaqured brass faucet to distribute the patina thought the kitchen...I just want those aluminum collars to not look dirty
  • cheri127
    6 years ago

I have never cleaned my burner caps, LOL! I love tarnished brass!

• Martin Markovitz
    6 years ago

I use the burners too much to keep it pristine. The stove is very clean, the oven like new but the burners? The caps, they are almost black, the rings, they are spotted. I sometimes put them in the oven when I use oven cleaner and that helps.

Here is why I love my warming cabinet. I cooked a very special beef shank, 8lbs as part of a six course dinner. I browned it under the broiler and then cooked it for twelve hours standing vertically in a large stock pot at. This could only be achieved in a vertical oven and these cabinets are perfect for low and slow cooking. I still cannot believe that the capacity of the warming oven was big enough to do it. Later, the shank was held in the pot on my portable griddle that I used as a french top. Putting the front burner in the front on low and placing the shank in the back gave me a perfect amont of heat to hold but not cook it any longer. A bain marie was placed in the front to keep sauces hot and the warming oven was filled with garnishes and plates. It made a complicated menu easy to serve.

• Shin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@denagerb It's not cast aluminum, it's (I think solid) brass. They do have black enamel caps you can buy to cover them to protect them, but for me once I get my Lacanche in february, I know I'll love the patina on the brass and it would be too much hassle to take the burner caps on and off. And if you don't take them on and off, what is the use of having them.

• Shin
    6 years ago

@martin Markovitz, while I was scrolling down, I noticed you wrote last year that you wished to have more simmering burners (in front). I don't know if you solved this problem, but you can put the burners between "9 and 12 o'clock" to get the flame lower than the lowest on "6". I've tested it and especially if your Lacanche is new enough, there won't be any risk if you would have it so low that the flame for whatever reason would go out, then the gas would be shut off.

• denagerb
    6 years ago
    @shin it's not the solid brass caps that I was wondering about it was the rings underneath them. I did try's water/vinegar soak followed by baking soda and a soft scrubby yesterday though with quite a bit of success for anyone who is wondering.
  • Martin Markovitz
    6 years ago

@shin, Thanks for the info. I have discovered that and I do have the shut off valves for when the flames go out. My problem is that I am in the country and I have liquid gas that the Lacanche doesn't like so much. Attaining and maintaining a low flame is difficult. A low flame in the front would be so that I can fuss over things on low heat without a diffuser or reaching over to the back.

• Shin
    6 years ago

@martin markovich, Ah here in the Netherlands where I am, the gas is very steady, so when I tested it, it worked beautifully between 9 and 12. I hadn't realised it can be gas type dependent.

• Martin Markovitz
    6 years ago

@shin Yes, I am in Italy and I live too far from the gas mains so liquid gas it is for my Lacanche. There are quite a few Dutch here.

• PRO
    Lacanche USA
    6 years ago

Big congratulations HeatherInOR and welcome to the family! We can't wait to see your beautiful French bébé installed !!