Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadianyc_gw

Double Convection Ovens with Countertop Combi Steam, sound good?

nadianyc
9 years ago

I keep waffling back and forth between double convection wall ovens with a countertop Cuisinart Combi-Steam or stacked Wall Convection with Combi-Steam.
I rarely bake sweets/bread but use my current single oven to roast veggies and make roasts often. Love to cook savory and for the most part healthy, which brings in my desire for a combi-steam but the wall models are both very expensive and very small which leaves me thinking that a counter-top model would be just as good and a fraction of the price.

Would love all opinions.

Comments (7)

• malba2366
    9 years ago

I would go with a built in combi steam with a wall oven. First you should figure out how often you really need 2 full size ovens? If it is only a couple times a year then go for the built in combi steam, and maybe keep a brevile countertop toaster oven tucked away for the one or two times when you wouldn't have enough oven space.
    I doubt that the $300 countertop combi steam oven would have the functionality of a miele or wolf combo steam oven, just as a $300 toaster oven wouldn't compare to a built in wall oven.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Nadia
    I don't have a steam oven but agree with Malba
    I went with a convection oven, speed oven and I have a delonghi (similar to a breville) in my pantry.

• nadianyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Malva and Gemini. Was going to go with Bosch Benchmark partly because I love the side-swing door. There's a stackable combo-steam and convection but it doesn't come in side-swing. Thinking maybe purchasing separate units (they would still be stacked though) So combi steam on top (with drop down door) and convection on the bottom (with a side-swing) Do you think it would look odd with one top down door and one side-swing? I like the fact that they are separate units so if one breaks down, it would be easier to replace. Combi-steam owners, is it really your go-to oven or do you use a Breville or builit-convection oven more so?

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

The Gaggenau are also side swing opening but they do come with a hefty, hefty price tag. We got our Gagg combi steam oven off ebay half off. It was a 270 (previous model to the 400 series available now). It was new in box with a 5-year warranty. It works great and I love that it is plumbed. It's worth considering. Appliances stores will often sell off demo models too with warranty and I have seen items on craigslist.

I use both my conventional oven and the combi oven for similar and different things. My conventional oven goes higher (to 500, the Gagg goes to 450) and my conventional oven has a broiler and it is bigger. The Gagg non-steam mode is convection so it also cooks faster/hotter and I'm still getting used to that (I've had it about 2 months).

Sometimes I use the Gagg because I need two ovens, sometimes I use the Gagg as a steam oven or to jointly steam and roast. I love the flexibility. I do have a friend with the $300 cuisinart steam oven and she LOVES it, but she isn't doing a remodel right now and it lets her test run the combi steam oven idea. I'm pretty sure when she does update she'll get a combi steam oven.

I'm not sure how it would look to have a drop down and side opening door. My initial thought is how well they match in terms of material is probably more important. Good luck.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>Do you think it would look odd with one top down door and one side-swing?

Personally, I don't think it would look odd at all.

• dan1888
    9 years ago

The Puck pressure oven with rotisserie is getting some good reviews also on Chowhound. I would consider it instead of the Cuisinart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolfgang Puck Pressure Oven

• nadianyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cost is definitely an issue for a wall combo steam. Would love a Gagg but $$. Have been scouring eBay and Craigslist for a floor model Gagg or love the white Miele that's been discontinued. Have to have decisions made by Early Dec for cabinets and the rest of the definitive kitchen design. So if I don't find those will definitely go with the Bosch.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource