Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mothernotes

dcs or bs 36" rangetop?

mothernotes
10 years ago

I'm trying to decide between a 36" DCS (sealed) or a BS (open) rangetop. While I like the look of the DCS, I haven't been able to find many reviews or threads discussing DCS.

Anyone willing to comment on a DCS range or rangetop? We do a variety of cooking and simmering is important to us.

I would consider the CC too but I don't think there is a local distributor (live in the NW) so that has brings some concerned when considering CC.

I'm appreciative of any experience with DCS that you would be willing to share.

Thank you.

Comments (6)

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I would recommend that you first decide whether you want open or sealed. It's really apples and oranges. Each style has its adherents. If you want sealed, then look into the DCS vs other sealed burner models such as Wolf. But comparing DCS and BS without making the threshold open vs sealed decision doesn't makes sense to me.

FWIW, I went from a sealed Bosch to an open BS and am very happy I did.

• mothernotes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the response. Can you talk about your experience with simmering on the BS? It's probably my only hesitation with BS.

I'm more interested in the idea of open burners. However, this is my first foray into gas in my own kitchen and we make a lot of sauces, soups, and other items that require simmering.

Thanks!

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Simmering is great on the BS. There is a dedicated simmer burner that goes really, really low. Truth be told, I can almost simmer on the big burners! They really do go pretty low, but of course not as low as the simmer burner. I make soups all the time and just use the big burners. I only use the simmer burner when I am going to leave something on for a very long time.

As an example of how low the flame on the big burners will go, I can make rice and it will not usually boil over using a normal pot lid. If I use one of the silicone pot covers that lets some steam escape, I never ever have a problem.

I guess what I am saying is that one of the supposed benefits of Capital (each burner is supposed to be full range from simmer to blowtorch) is not that important in my view because the BS burners go pretty low. So if you are concerned about support where you live and don't want to go with a CC for that reason, you shouldn't be afraid of the BS burners having too much power for your intended use.

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

I have a 36" six burner Bluestar with three 22k burners. I have never had a problem simmering on it, not even on the 22ks. I've made rice for one plenty of times on the big burners and usually have to turn the flame up a smidge from its lowest setting to have it cook quicker.

I adjusted each of the burners to go as low as possible. Took all of ten minutes and I'm the LEAST handy person there is. I really don't know why anyone feels the simmer ability of this range is questionable. It simmers perfectly. In fact, I wish all 6 burners could be the 22ks.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I was going to say exactly what NYC said....apples and oranges, you are either an open burner person or a closed.
    I simmer all afternoon on my Bluestar, soups, stews, and chili... hardly ever get the slow cooker out anymore.

• weissman
    10 years ago

Just to give you another perspective, I've had a DCS range for over 10 years and I LOVE the burners. The simmer is incredible and you get it on all the burners so you don't have to shuffle pots around. The Bluestar is more powerful on the high end but I have 16K and 17.5K burners on my range and I can do great stirfries with them. Not all closed burners are created equal and DCS does a great job with them. They're also really easy to clean and I hate cleaning. The brushed stainless on the range top is easy to clean even with burnt on crud. I like cleaning in place, not lugging drip trays to the sink. I suggest you try cooking on both rangetops before making a decision.