Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Where to find french cleat mounting hdwr 4 insert hood?

deedles
10 years ago

Hello,

We have a Trade-Wind insert and are having a wood hood custom built by our cabinet guy.

I've seen quite a few manufacturers of wood hoods mention a 'french cleat' hanging system which is a metal plate screwed to the wall with brackets that are attached to the metal plate. The insert is screwed to and hangs under the brackets. Then the wood decorative hood can be mounted over the whole thing.

Problem is I cannot locate a source for the french cleat system for the inserts. Anyone know of where I can find such a thing?

The link below is a PDF of the cleat system and hanging instructions, if this would help anyone help me find it.

Would really appreciate any assistance! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: french cleat hardware for range hood insert

Comments (8)

• kaseki
    10 years ago

A search for "brackets" would likely turn up more options than for "French cleats," a term I've never heard used. Brackets of the type shown in the PDF seem typical of many that might show up in a large hardware store. Alternatively, sources such as RackSolutions may have suitable parts. I, myself, would probably go to a sheet metal shop and have some made that were just the dimensions I needed, with holes punched where I wanted them, and made out of stainless steel so that they lasted as long as the house lasts.

kas

• joeboldt
    10 years ago

A french cleat is usually made of wood and used to hang cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: French cleat

• kaseki
    10 years ago

Always good to learn something new.

In the first link, kitchensource.com shows a system that they call a French cleat that is significantly different in configuration than the Chad's Workshop second link shows. The first is potentially rigid; the second is not. I would think that a rigid system should be used for hanging a hood insert. And I would have called the first system 'angle brackets attached to a mounting plate.' The characteristic that seems to define a French cleat is the mating pair of 45-degree cuts that hold the hanging component in place.

kas

• bmorepanic
    10 years ago

Ikea sells some "L" shaped stainless shelves that are hung on the wall with a metal french cleat system.

However, what the drawings show in the pdf for step 1 is screwing a big plywood 1/2 of a wood french cleat to the wall. They say that this mounting plate is included.

The insert is then screwed to the liner in step 2. In step 3, Brackets are screwed to the insert+liner.

Then, the insert + liner is attached to the cleat on the wall by screwing through the brackets in step 4. The brackets don't use the cleat at all.

Step 5 shows the other half of the french cleat mounted on the back of the decorative cover. It looks like they split the cleat into two sections with a gap in the middle. When they slide down again the wall, they are caught by the first cleat by the opposite angles.

I don't think they bought anything special. The metal of the liner is all you need to protect the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikeadom.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, so I wonder if a person couldn't use some kind of L brackets, screw them to the wall framing and then mount the range hood to the underneath of said brackets? Maybe the whole mounting plate isn't necessary?

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Many ways to satisfactorily achieve the goal. As for metal French cleats, here's one that Home Depot sells that's rated for 200 lbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: HD FC

• ChrisMon
    10 years ago

What about just a Monarch Z Clip? They work very similar to a french cleat?

Here is a link that might be useful: french cleat

• kaseki
    10 years ago

Sometimes, a pair of hangers have to be placed on the object to be hung such that they are not separated by the stud-to-stud distance in the wall (usually 16 inches in US housing, but often 24 inches is allowed with 6-inch studs. In such cases, installing suitable blocking in the wall before the wall is covered is desirable when the location of the object to be hung is known. Otherwise, a mounting plate or cleat can carry the load from the hanger locations to the studs.

kas