Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muppetmom

Induction cooktop - glass edge an issue?

muppetmom
10 years ago

We're choosing a 36" induction cooktop and have just about settled on Bosch, not sure about 500 vs 800 yet. But before we seal the deal, I was wondering about the susceptibility of the glass side edges to chips and cracks. Our ovens will be Wolf but we can save up to $1500 with a 500 series. The hob layouts are both good and the power differences don't add up to much for me. The fact that the Wolf's edges are completely surrounded seems like a better design for pots and pans being dragged onto the cooktop or anything dropped on the edge. Comments?

Comments (15)

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

Listening in. I just bought a glass edge Thermador and was wondering the same thing. I wanted edge protection but the deal was too good to pass up on.

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

Someone posted recently about a chipped corner on an induction cooktop. Hope this link helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenn Air chipped edge

• burntfingers
    10 years ago

Muppetmom, I have the Bosch 800 version with glass edges on the sides (aluminum strip top and bottom). No problems with chips.

HTH...

• tamarahl
    10 years ago

Search for my post "Jenn Air induction chipped on corner - could it be a lemon" for background on this issue.

I replaced my all glass top for my induction with a stainless framed top after it had been in use less than a week!!

Fortunately, Jenn Air is going to reimburse me for the cost of the new top :-)

• kaseki
    10 years ago

Do not drag pans across the cooktop and avoid hitting the edges with pans or other kitchen objects. Gently settle or lift pans and you will avoid scratches and chips. I use hand-cut small circular silicone mats under pans to further minimize any damage. There are no scratches or edge chips on my Kenmore Elite (Electrolux Icon clone) induction cooktop Ceram surface, in use since 2008.

kas

• pl77
    8 years ago

We are now in need of a second replacement for our glass cooktop in less than 6 months because of glass bottles simply tipping over and cracking the edge. Nothing dropped, no force, they just gently tipped over. One time was bringing in groceries, the second time was wiping the unit and a bottle was next to the stove. Careless you say? No! We have been waiting 13 years for this kitchen remodel and have babied every appliance. This is flat out poor design. We paid the typical $1,000 +/- for the original unit which is a Bosch 800 series 30", then had to pay $350+ to have the glass replaced (discounted by Bosch...but should have been free). With this second break in less than 6 months we are looking at other options. The design, while sleek and attractive, is SO very poor with no protective edge around the glass. A simple protective strip (metal? something black connected to the glass?) around the edge would suffice or possibly the option with stainless edges that went all the way around the unit (the front and back stainless strip is useless if something hits the sides). We had our first unit less than 2 months when it broke. And now less than 6 months after the first break we're facing the same problem? Not ok Bosch.....
    Break #1

Break #2

• kaseki
    8 years ago

There are protective edge versions of some models, at least in the Thermador line.

Perhaps Bosch went too thin on their Ceram specification, or the edge is not well supported from underneath.

A protective edge strip might have helped in these cases (depending on how well it protected the glass it overlapped), but a hit farther in could still cause a fracture.

It is possible to make an error that leads to damage without qualifying as "careless."

kas

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I have had a Bosch 30" 500 induction cooktop for 2 years and don't have a single chip on it. I seriously doubt Bosch "cheaped out" on the Ceram spec.

• kaseki
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Gina Gomez: I would expect a sheet metal shop to be able to weld up and brush out a stainless steel "picture frame" like structure that could be laid in place and tacked down with some adhesive. You would need to be able to supply drawings of at least a sectional view of the edge over the stone (mainly to show how high the edge is and what the sectional dimensions of the frame are to be), and of the outer dimensions of the cooktop edge from a plan view (to show what the frame fits over).

• jvp2012
    6 years ago

I have a Bosch induction cook top that we managed to damage quite soon by dropping a heavy-bottomed glass nearby - it shattered on the granite, the heavy bottom skidded sideways and shattered the side edge of the cook top. BTW, a little research revealed that Bosch cook tops are not tempered around the edge for about 1 cm in, super! I removed the bits and a ~2 inch-long sliver of glass broken under the edge, then used black Milliput epoxy putty to mold carefully along and into the damage: you can use water and a finger to make a smooth edge and it didn't look too bad once it set, and covered the sharp edges. It was a little lighter gray than the black glass, and matte, so I used black shiny nail varnish to further blend it in. So far (2 years), the repair itself held up well. However, after a while a hairline crack started to creep across diagonally. It has since reached the other edge at 90o to the damaged edge, and now tiny chips of glass are breaking off from the top surface along the crack. Still looks OK, but we have bought a second top, ready to replace once it gets intolerable. I am planning on getting a stainless steel frame made if I can before that gets installed. No other damage since, so this was pretty unlucky.

• alex9179
    6 years ago

Yikes! I've had a Bosch cooktop for a few years and no edge damage. I can see how it would happen, though. My family isn't careful so we're probably lucky that we haven't had anything drop on it.

I have some scratches. They fade from sight for a while after polishing with a little glass-top cleaner and a microfiber buff. I usually just use vinegar and water with a microfiber cloth. Scratches are gonna happen.

• PRO
    Velago Furniture Outlet
    5 years ago

We chipped our Bosch with a lid of a pot. Slipped and bang. Trying to figure out how to fix it...

• Anna Stephenson
    3 years ago

my second cooktop lasted about 5 years before “not me” dropped something on the edge. Unfortunately, there are cracks. From what I can tell from the Bosch website, you cannot replace the glass. Anyone know of an off brand replacement?

• kaseki
    3 years ago

A Frigidaire 'Gallery' or its more expensive near twin framed 'Professional' may be large enough to overlap your present Bosch cutout. Your cutout might have to be enlarged, though. Once enlarged, you may be trapped into using Electrolux/Frigidaire unless a frame is built in the future for a smaller unit to fit in the larger cutout.